2018 4* DT Coynis Miller commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

Updated 10/14/17: Coynis Miller commits to AU!

Image result for coynis miller
Coynis Miller, DT
Birmingham, AL (Jackson-Olin)
Ht: 6'1.5" | Wt: 300

• AU offered 6/13/16
  • Offers: Auburn, Alabama, Bowling Green, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Louisville, Michigan, Ole Miss, Oregon and Tulane, among others.

247Sports: 4*
ESPN: 4*
Rivals: 4*

• Unofficial Visits to AU 9/02/17, 10/07/17
  • Recruiter: Garner
  • HS teammates w/ TD Moultry

• 8 months later...

Keith & Kipp project him to Bama in the end. Quick breakdown of him & his recruitment below.

Coynis was just tagged in a VIP article on AU 247 with the title "Major target to spend 3 nights in Auburn next week". Sounds like a positive to say the least.

• Like 6

Update from SECCountry

AUBURN, Ala. — Coynis Miller has been to Auburn more than any other program.

Yet, until Tuesday, the top defensive tackle target had never consumed a Tigers’ practice. That was something Miller — already high on Auburn — wanted to see to help re-affirm any positive feelings he had about the Tigers.

Miller, joined by Auburn signee and high school teammate Tadarian Moultry, arrived at Auburn on Sunday night and will leave early Wednesday morning. On Tuesday, he took in his first Auburn practice.

“I really wanted to see them practice. This is my first one, and I liked it. The players really got after it, and the coaches were really getting after them,” Miller told SEC Country.

Miller was impressed by the work of versatile defensive lineman Derrick Brown who he has spent time with during his three-day trip. Miller, now at 6-foot-3 and 297 pounds, sees a little bit of himself in Brown when it comes to strength and athleticism.

What struck Miller most during Auburn’s practice, however, was what sticks out to most defensive linemen at their first practice: Rodney Garner’s tenacity.

DSC_0577_ky5ons.jpg
Auburn DL coach Rodney Garner (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“Coach G, he’s a great coach. He’ll push you hard and make sure you do everything right. I liked seeing that,” Miller said. “It’s good. It pushes players to be better. He’d push me to where I want to be, and that’d be really good for me.”

When Miller leaves Auburn on Wednesday, he’ll return to Birmingham before making a Thursday trip to Tuscaloosa to take in his first Alabama practice, as well. Unlike the Auburn visit, Miller will only be in Tuscaloosa for the day.

Those two schools — with the efforts of DL coaches Rodney Garner and Brent Key — have been at the forefront of the in-state lineman’s recruitment. They will both undoubtedly be in it until the end, which will likely be after Miller’s senior season at Jackson-Olin.

“Auburn’s just recruiting me hard. They want me to be a player here. I’m trying to find out if this is where I want to be. Coach Garner and I talk a good bit,” Miller said. “Alabama really wants me. They’re showing high interest. Coach Key, if he’s not calling, he’s texting me every day. We have a great relationship.”

That Auburn-Alabama battle is an everyday experience in the Miller household.

Miller grew up a Crimson Tide fan, though he insists that will have “absolutely nothing” to do with his ultimate decision. His father is also an Alabama fan. As for mom, she roots for the Tigers.

Miller joked that she’s the one that usually makes the big decisions around the house, but this one is on Miller’s shoulders.

“Mom usually does, but this one’s on me,” Miller said with a laugh.

Despite the noticeable in-state pull for Alabama’s No. 8 overall prospect, it’s not just an Iron Bowl recruiting contest.

Miller’s high school coach Tim Vakakes said in the fall that, unlike with Moultry, out-of-state programs feel like they have a legitimate chance with Miller. The defensive line prospect said as much Tuesday, mentioning LSU, Clemson, Ole Miss and Florida as non-Alabama schools that stick out to him.

“It’s a big chance I could go out of state. It’s about where I fit,” Miller said.

Miller recently went to Baton Rouge for a visit and was quite impressed. He plans to make it to Clemson soon and Florida — for the first time — over the summer.

As for a decision, it’ll come after his senior season, but he’ll start to narrow in on official top schools a little before that.

“I’ll probably narrow it down, if not before the season, during it,” Miller said.

• 3 weeks later...

Top DT target outlines top schools

Coynis Miller knows Auburn as well as any recruit.

Auburn recruiting-Coynis Miller
Auburn DT target Coynis Miller (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Former teammate and close friend Tadarian Moultry signed with the Tigers in February. Miller has been to Auburn a handful of times in 2017. I’ve written about Miller in notebooks multiple times in the past month, and here’s another example.

But he’s no lock to Auburn. In fact, Miller is not even a lock for Auburn or Alabama despite his many visits and high priority at both schools. Miller rarely tips his hand in any direction. He hadn’t listed top schools or even set a decision time.

Until Saturday.

For the first time, to my knowledge, Miller named the programs that are in contention for his services.

“My top would probably be Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia and Ole Miss,” Miller said. “I’m planning on visiting Florida in the summer.”

There aren’t any surprises there.

Those are the schools he visited, and they are relatively convenient to Birmingham, Ala., where he plays for Jackson-Olin. The general perception with Miller is he’ll end up at either of the Yellowhammer State SEC schools. Jackson-Olin coach Tim Vakakes told SEC Country in the fall that he isn’t 100 percent convinced that will happen.

“A lot of the schools that didn’t really recruit [Moultry] because they didn’t think they had a chance, they’re offering him. They knew [Moultry] was going to stay in state,” Vakakes said. “He wanted to go visit things, but it was going to be somewhere close.

“I could see Coynis going somewhere else.”

Update

4-star defensive tackle Coynis Miller, Jackson-Olin

DSC_0668_bjprak.jpg
4-star DL Coynis Miller (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

Kirschner: It’s clear that Alabama is recruiting Miller the hardest out of the schools he’s considering. Led by offensive line coach Brent Key, the Crimson Tide have gotten across the message that he’s one of the team’s top defensive line targets. Some people may assume that because Alabama and Auburn want Miller on their respective team that he’s automatically going to choose one of those schools. That’s not really the case. Miller said he has high interest in leaving the state of Alabama because he’s been here his entire life. The schools he mentioned out-of-state that he’s interested in are Florida, Clemson and LSU, but I can’t see him going anywhere other than one of the two in-state schools.

Wolk: As a top in-state prospect, Miller has visited Alabama and Auburn more than any other schools, but that doesn’t mean the big defensive tackle is a lock to stay in the Yellowhammer State. Florida, LSU and Clemson are three out-of-state programs who have offered the Miller gives a legitimate chance of earning his commitment. Oregon and Tennessee are two others who, if they offered, would become major factors for his recruitment, especially the Ducks. Miller has stayed in the state of Alabama his whole life and said there’s a “real high chance” he leaves the state for college because he wants to explore something new. He’ll be back in Tuscaloosa this weekend for the A-Day game. There are two timeframes to watch with Miller. The first: right before the season, when Miller plans to narrow his options after he’s taken a few out-of-state visits. The second: right after his senior season, when he plans to announce his college choice. Miller hasn’t decided on all his official visits yet, but said the two in-state schools will definitely earn them.

• 1 month later...

Keith CB'd him to bama today. Seems like it has been trending that way for a little while. Kid grew up a huge bama fan.

Miller likes Auburn’s plan to play early

Bryan Matthews | Senior Editor

AUBURN | Auburn has a plan for Coynis Miller and he likes it.

The four-star from Jackson-Olin in Birmingham, Ala., who is one of the Tigers’ top in-state targets, speaks to AU defensive line coach Rodney Garner two to four times per week.

“I'm going to be playing defensive tackle,” Miller said. “He tells me every day, 'I'm not recruiting you to redshirt. If I get you, you're going to be playing as a freshman.' That's a big thing. I'm looking to play early.”

Sbk75cf07x4rgx681yqy
Miller said he could play at 300-305 pounds this season.
Bryan Matthews/AuburnSports.com

Miller, 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds, has visited Auburn a number of times over the past couple of years, gaining an affinity for Garner and the school. His teammate, linebacker T.D. Moultry, signed with the Tigers in the 2017 class.

“It's like family. It's laid back,” Miller said. “When I come here for practice, he coaches his players hard and pushes them to the limit to make them the best they can be.”

Miller’s most recent trip was to Big Cat last Saturday.

“It went good just being back, being around the coaches, learning more about the program,” he said. “It was a good experience.”

Miller has a number of big-time offers to choose from including Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Michigan and Oregon. He plans to name an official top eight soon, which will include Auburn, and has not ruled out a summer commitment.

“I talked to my coach and some more people about committing before the season,” he said. “After talking to my coach he just told me to take my time with it. If I'm ready, then I've got his support and I can go ahead and do it. He told me he wants me to take my time with it and make sure I pick the right school.”

Whether or not he makes an early decision, Miller plans to be a leader on and off the field at Jackson-Olin this season.

“I want to get better as a player,” he said. “Off the field, I want to get my team better. We can all play football but just keeping everybody out of trouble and doing the right things, I just want to help my team do that.”

On 4/22/2017 at 7:56 AM, ellitor said:

Kirschner: It’s clear that Alabama is recruiting Miller the hardest out of the schools he’s considering. Led by offensive line coach Brent Key, the Crimson Tide have gotten across the message that he’s one of the team’s top defensive line targets. Some people may assume that because Alabama and Auburn want Miller on their respective team that he’s automatically going to choose one of those schools. That’s not really the case. Miller said he has high interest in leaving the state of Alabama because he’s been here his entire life. The schools he mentioned out-of-state that he’s interested in are Florida, Clemson and LSU, but I can’t see him going anywhere other than one of the two in-state schools.

Who is this clown? This is not true. This I know for a fact. 

• 4 weeks later...

Is this Auburn's highest ranked player at defensive tackle that has a good chance to commit?

Edit: Commit to Auburn that is.

Edited by AU Is Gold

14 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Is this Auburn's highest ranked player at defensive tackle that has a good chance to commit?

Edit: Commit to Auburn that is.

Yes. THey have 1 in Newkirk & only want 1 more.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Miller is probably 3rd on the overall most wanted list.  Fields, Ross, then Miller.  

so glad his High School coach is in our corner and a big Auburn man/fan. SO nice to see one of these things MAYBE (knock on wood) finally work out for us in back to back years with 2 big time in state prospects.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Miller is probably 3rd on the overall most wanted list.  Fields, Ross, then Miller.  

For me

tumblr_nzs51mWQLe1rjq3xeo1_400.gif

On 7/3/2017 at 6:24 PM, GwillMac6 said:

so glad his High School coach is in our corner and a big Auburn man/fan. SO nice to see one of these things MAYBE (knock on wood) finally work out for us in back to back years with 2 big time in state prospects.

He isn't pushing Miller to AU. Letting Miller make up his own mind. 

From everything I read earlier it seemed Miller was a lock for bama. Is the times they are a changing for Miller and Auburn?

Edited by milehighfan