2018 4* DT Coynis Miller commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Bama has lowered standards to increase enrollment and also offered elite student academic scholarships greater then the students would have gotten out of other institutions.  

Yeah this is total bull crap. Their academic admission standards have been significantly raised since Saban arrived, and they have become much more selective with who they accept (64% acceptance rate to 53%.) Their scholarships are also competitive with other quality public universities as well. If you have information that I don’t have, link it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah this is total bull crap. Their academic admission standards have been significantly raised since Saban arrived, and they have become much more selective with who they accept (64% acceptance rate to 53%.) Their scholarships are also competitive with other quality public universities as well. If you have information that I don’t have, link it. 

Everyone’s admissions standards have gone up.  Bama’s hasn’t gone up like every one else.  It’s basically at a 21 now and was at 18 in 1990.  AU’s was a 19 and now a 29 if you want a real chance of getting in.  If you’re ok on the bubble you might get in with a 26 and a 4.0 gpa.  

And scholarships for “recruited” students are at a massive increase at bama from 8.3 million to 100.6 million and as I said it’s all about the money... 

linking an article here.  Doesn’t mention much about entry standards but has multiple quotes of the “merit aid” provided and being the reasons Alabama’s enrollment has increased 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/nations-prominent-public-universities-are-shifting-to-out-of-state-students/2016/01/30/07575790-beaf-11e5-bcda-62a36b394160_story.html?utm_term=.d326f1f07439

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

Everyone’s admissions standards have gone up.  Bama’s hasn’t gone up like every one else.  It’s basically at a 21 now and was at 18 in 1990.  AU’s was a 19 and now a 29 if you want a real chance of getting in.  If you’re ok on the bubble you might get in with a 26 and a 4.0 gpa.  

You’re playing loose and fast with the facts.

http://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/University-of-Alabama-admission-requirements

http://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/Auburn-admission-requirements

https://www.thoughtco.com/act-scores-for-alabama-colleges-788784

Check the 25% and 75% marks for both Alabama and Auburn. 

Alabama 23/31: Auburn 24/30

Now, look at Saban’ impact: 

***I cannot seperate my verbiage from tbe bottom of the following intended quote. For whatever reason, the site treated my remarks as an additional quote and I can only edit the intended quote. Emphasis mine***

But the money flowing directly from Bryant-Denny Stadium is just the start. If you think that a top college football coach earning seven figures is overpaid, think again. To appreciate just how modest Saban’s $5.3 million salary is, take a wider look around campus. Since 2007, Tuscaloosa has swelled its undergraduate ranks by 33% to over 28,000 students. Faculty count has kept pace: up 400 since 2007 to over 1,700. But it’s more than growth – it’s where the growth is coming from.

According to the school, less than a third of the 2007 freshman class of 4,538 students hailed from out of state. By the fall of 2012, more than half (52%) of a freshman class of 6,397 students did. Various data from US News and the New York Times shows that the school’s out-of-state tuition cost – nearly three times higher than the rate for in-state students – rose from $18,000 to $22,950 a year during that period.

Add it all up – more students from outside Alabama paying ever-increasing premium tuition bills – and the school realized $50 million more in out-of-state tuition revenue for last fall’s incoming class than it did for the same class in 2007 ($76 million vs. $26 million). Kick in the additional $8.5 million in in-state tuition, which rose to $9,200 a year from $6,400 over the same period, and overall tuition revenue rose to $104 million from $46 million for the respective 2012 and 2007 freshman classes. And to boot, the school’s most recent capital campaign (i.e. donations from alumni and others) raised $600 million for scholarships and facilities, the most ever.

For the admissions office, more applications mean more selectivity. Six years ago, 64% of students applying to the University of Alabama were accepted. By 2012, the acceptance rate had dropped to 53%. About one in four students from the 2012 freshman class carried a 4.0 high school GPA. The class also includes 241 National Merit Scholars, more than any other public university in the U.S....

That comes from tapping the cash to build and renovate around campus. The final phase of a four-building Science & Engineering complex, first begun a decade ago, is scheduled to be completed this summer. In 2010, the school opened the Capstone College of Nursing building, which features classrooms, labs and an auditorium. Campus housing has also been upgraded: a new facility called Presidential Village, which holds nearly 1,000 students, opened last summer. A second phase that includes a rec center is slated to open in 2014. There’s more, but you get the idea. The administration’s strategy to leverage Saban’s program into additional selling points is working like a charm right now.

So, again, Bama may not be beating out Auburn in admission requirements , but Bama is making a move towards that, and to say that they are lowering standards just for enrollment numbers is plain wrong, if not a lie. 

Edited by aujeff11

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I've heard several people say, I could get into UA but not AU. There is a reason for that... Also most of them went to Troy over UA. 

My co-workers daughter got accepted at bama but AU refused her due to her GPA in high school.  This was 3 years ago.  bama has put an emphasis on out of state versus in state.  $$$$$

My daughter was just accepted to Auburn with a 26 ACT and a 4.1 GPA and a double legacy. But she was not offered any in-state tuition reduction despite her high GPA. She has been accepted at a small college in TN with a lower cost because of her high GPA/ACT. TN bound she will be. Hoping for AU graduate degree.

not that it matters but i got accepted to bama, troy, jax state, uab, and some others with a 24 act and a 3.2 gpa In 06. i got waitlisted at Auburn them at the end of the application deadline was told to go to AuM then try to transfer 

20 hours ago, psyfro said:

My daughter was just accepted to Auburn with a 26 ACT and a 4.1 GPA and a double legacy. But she was not offered any in-state tuition reduction despite her high GPA. She has been accepted at a small college in TN with a lower cost because of her high GPA/ACT. TN bound she will be. Hoping for AU graduate degree.

Congrats to your daughter!  I don't mean to discourage you but, Auburn is extremely tight with their scholarship money.  My daughter graduated 8th in her class at Spanish Fort H.S. with honors and a 4.28 gap, scored a 26 on the ACT and got very little money as a 3rd generation Auburn legacy.  She studied Pre-Dental  and then Nursing.  Most of the scholarships are based on financial need and we didn't qualify.  We were able to get some money from the local PTA, GoDaddy.com and AU Alum Association but it was only about $2500 per year.  She's made Dean's List all except 1 semester in her 4 years at Auburn, but has still been unable to find additional sources of funding.   The good news is that she's about to begin her last semester so it will be like I'm getting a huge pay raise come May.   

Good luck with your search for funding and good luck to your daughter!

• Like 4

On 12/22/2017 at 7:43 AM, twilli13 said:

I dont see any sure fire nfl talent there

Rarely exists out of high school..

On 12/22/2017 at 7:43 AM, twilli13 said:

I dont see any ready made true d end guys

Same as above. Talent doesn't just exist out of high school. ALL talent has to be developed.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Talent doesn't just exist out of high school.

Recruits like Schwartz say hello. Talent and potential do exist, even in HS;  It’s just not fine-tuned toward the craft yet. For some, they don’t require much fine-tuning at all. I think we all knew the Clowneys and Derrick Henry’s would eventually go pro as far back as HS

2 hours ago, gctiger said:

Congrats to your daughter!  I don't mean to discourage you but, Auburn is extremely tight with their scholarship money.  My daughter graduated 8th in her class at Spanish Fort H.S. with honors and a 4.28 gap, scored a 26 on the ACT and got very little money as a 3rd generation Auburn legacy.  She studied Pre-Dental  and then Nursing.  Most of the scholarships are based on financial need and we didn't qualify.  We were able to get some money from the local PTA, GoDaddy.com and AU Alum Association but it was only about $2500 per year.  She's made Dean's List all except 1 semester in her 4 years at Auburn, but has still been unable to find additional sources of funding.   The good news is that she's about to begin her last semester so it will be like I'm getting a huge pay raise come May.   

Good luck with your search for funding and good luck to your daughter!

Seems to me that too much weight is put on the ACT when it comes to scholarships and not enough is on GPA, extracurricular activities, legacies, etc.

Many sites will say you qualify for the following scholarships if you have a minimum of  “___ GPA( mostly 3.5) and you achieve one of the following on the ACT/SAT:”

Auburn should offer at least a 2,000 dollar a year reduction for students with a 26 also. 

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Talent doesn't just exist out of high school. ALL talent has to be developed.

Talent definitely exists out of high school. Obviously, all players need some development. Some more than others. Never said otherwise. Not all prospects are created equal though and not all can be developed into good to great SEC players. We need the kids who can be developed into stud players. If you look at our d line now, almost all were 4 and 5 star high school prospects. And we had our best d line in years. Coincidence? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

So Coynis got a crystal ball to TN today. It was from a Vandy writer I think, but still found it interesting...

Would be a big blow. It would have to be a playing time decision I’d think, if he chose us over Bama (Garner/Steele over Dunbar/Pruitt) initially but then following Rocker/Pruitt to UT.

• Like 1

How do we stand with Coynis? He has said he was solid to AU, but I am beginning to have doubts,

the staff need to be on top of this one until the end,

getting  a CB from anyone else does appear to be solid to me? anybody else?

4 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Would be a big blow. It would have to be a playing time decision I’d think, if he chose us over Bama (Garner/Steele over Dunbar/Pruitt) initially but then following Rocker/Pruitt to UT.

There's an article on the UT site but all it infers is that CM may visit UT but acknowledges it would be a tough battle to flip him. I can't think of a solid verbal that's Garner has lost in recent years.  Once he lands them, he keeps them. WDE!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

There's an article on the UT site but all it infers is that CM may visit UT but acknowledges it would be a tough battle to flip him. I can't think of a solid verbal that's Garner has lost in recent years.  Once he lands them, he keeps them. WDE!

David Marshall comes to mind

33 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

David Marshall comes to mind

Ah. Forgot about that one. 

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Ah. Forgot about that one. 

About the only one I can remember. Kid played us like a fiddle.

1 hour ago, Roos said:

How do we stand with Coynis?

When he didn't sign with AU in the early signing period it meant that he didn't have his mind completely made up. Remember, there are bammers close to the situation that are now in the "anywhere but Auburn" mode. He may sign with AU, he may go elsewhere. A guess based on nothing but my guesswork would be 60/40 favoring Auburn.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2017 at 10:00 PM, Mikey said:

When he didn't sign with AU in the early signing period it meant that he didn't have his mind completely made up. Remember, there are bammers close to the situation that are now in the "anywhere but Auburn" mode. He may sign with AU, he may go elsewhere. A guess based on nothing but my guesswork would be 60/40 favoring Auburn.

He will sign with AU. No worries. Was always going to take some visits. And the AU coaches are OK with this. Trust me on this one. 

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He will sign with AU. No worries. Was always going to take some visits. And the AU coaches are OK with this. Trust me on this one. 

Heard anything on Mathew Hill?

On 12/26/2017 at 8:58 AM, aujeff11 said:

Seems to me that too much weight is put on the ACT when it comes to scholarships and not enough is on GPA, extracurricular activities, legacies, etc.

Many sites will say you qualify for the following scholarships if you have a minimum of  “___ GPA( mostly 3.5) and you achieve one of the following on the ACT/SAT:”

Auburn should offer at least a 2,000 dollar a year reduction for students with a 26 also. 

Quick anecdote on the bama scholarship thing:  I taught a kid a few years ago and he got a 'full ride' to bama for grades & such.  Smart kid no doubt, but got almost nothing at UT (Univ of Texas) and he was a TX kid.  Bama recruits a ton of kids out of state and incents them with scholly dollars.  

They have a business model and have to make their money back on their expansion programs.   I have another student considering bama b/c his aide/scholarship pkg is so high.  He wants to go to TAMU, but hard to turn down all the money.  I know his folks, they will prob push him to bama