2017 baseball recruiting thread (Updated 10/25/17)

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Will Todd go high enough though to make it worth not going ahead & finishing his degree if he hasn't done so already? On Josh I don't see him getting picked in the 16th round like last year. It's likely better for him to come back & improve.

D1Baseball had him as a 7-10 round pick. And if he gets drafted, almost all contracts have a stipulation that they will pay for him to go back to school. So I don't see that holding him back. If he falls to the late teens, early 20s, I think he will be back.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Anthony has the glove and the arm...just worried that his hitting never showed up this year.   That's gonna hold him back...JMO

Yeah, I agree. Just wonder if the idea of jumping ship is too great, regardless of money or draft stock, unless he absolutely plummets. He has a lot of upside, and teams love to draft on potential. 

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

D1Baseball had him as a 7-10 round pick.

Is there a free link on that? All I saw on him was a draft sleeper article that was premium.

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Is there a free link on that? All I saw on him was a draft sleeper article that was premium.

I'll see if I can find that article. It was a few weeks ago. They also had him rated as a top 50 college outfielder back in April. Baseball America's latest projection of their top 500 has him at 295. 

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I've said it before. If we only lose Keegan & Tanner in the draft it will be a huge W IMO.

Where did you see the buzz? I'd like to read.

This would be a miracle if it happens imo

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I'll see if I can find that article. It was a few weeks ago. They also had him rated as a top 50 college outfielder back in April. Baseball America's latest projection of their top 500 has him at 295. 

Don't worry about it. The guy you got your earlier info from is usually reliable.

42 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

This would be a miracle if it happens imo

Yeah. Bouncing of this: guys who usually have good info think we lose Keegan, Todd, Josh, & Burns although Burns may be closer than people think. Steele is up in the air.

Edited by ellitor

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. Bouncing of this: guys who usually have good info think we lose Keegan, Todd, Jonah, & Burns although Burns may be closer than people think. Steele is up in the air.

I agree

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I agree

Dang i didnt think we would lose J Anthony or Todd (todd was awesome this year though). 

How does the one year option affect these guys decision? Doesnt it work out that the team who drafts them has an option to them for a year?

Ive been working on an '18 roster ill try to post it tonight

21 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Ive been working on an '18 roster ill try to post it tonight

Preciate the work but I would just wait til AU puts out an official Roster in the Fall.

Hey Ellitor       USCE baseball coach just resigned.  Do you guys think Auburn would look at him to replace Bohannon?  He is a good recruiter.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Hey Ellitor       USCE baseball coach just resigned.  Do you guys think Auburn would look at him to replace Bohannon?  He is a good recruiter.

Based on some lists I've seen today, it doesn't seem like he's an option at the moment. That obviously could change in the next few days. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 1:38 PM, lost said:

I heard on radio yesterday that AU was looking at ex UAt coach Goff to replace Bohannon.  Have no link or proof of this, just reporter talking to talking heads on radio.

25 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I heard on radio yesterday that AU was looking at ex UAt coach Goff to replace Bohannon.  Have no link or proof of this, just reporter talking to talking heads on radio.

You sure it was Goff or Gaspard? Gaspard has been mentioned as a candidate. Haven't seen or heard Goff's name. 

Of all the sports I believe baseball recruiting is the toughest for a variety of reasons if you recruit to well the MLB draft takes them before they play for you or steals them after a couple of years, then there are so few full Scholarships so you have to find players who are good enough and have enough family income to pay the difference when they get a partial scholarship or have good enough grades to also get an academic scholarship.

The lack of scholarships and competing with Major League baseball really limits the pool of players.

• Like 1

Any idea if we'll lose 2017 commit ss Ricardo De La Torre to the Twins after they selected him in the 6th round? I imagine he'll take the signing bonus and go to the minors?

The sports talk radio folks sure seem to think he's gonna take the money and go pro. I would tend to agree as well. 

On 6/9/2017 at 3:09 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Of all the sports I believe baseball recruiting is the toughest for a variety of reasons if you recruit to well the MLB draft takes them before they play for you or steals them after a couple of years, then there are so few full Scholarships so you have to find players who are good enough and have enough family income to pay the difference when they get a partial scholarship or have good enough grades to also get an academic scholarship.

The lack of scholarships and competing with Major League baseball really limits the pool of players.

Butch has done a pretty stand-up job with it too. JUCO guys were good place holders for this year and next, and should allow us to get these guys in here and build. I really liked the JUCO guys that came in this year, almost all of them contributed in some way, and some were huge for the team (I.e. Todd, Jarvis, Anthony, Estes, Coker, Ingram)

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Thanks for the post....looks like he is far enough down the draft to assure that he will stick with AU ?  Should be a nice addition.

Talked to some people about Hoerter.  He has a ton of room for growth and has a great reputation as a hard worker.  He has played on an elite baseball summer league for years.  Had a big growth spurt. They think Coach is the perfect coach to develop him into increasing his draft stock.  He may be of help next year do to his dedication, but they think it will be a couple of years until he breaks on the scene.  The coaches were careful with his amount of pitches as they did not want to damage his arm with his growth spurt and need to add muscle.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2017 at 9:36 PM, NoALtiger said:

The sports talk radio folks sure seem to think he's gonna take the money and go pro. I would tend to agree as well. 

Looks like the Twins had to double the slot money ($550,000) to get his signature.

Congratulations young man!!!

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I noticed that four pitchers that are on the current roster aren't mentioned anywhere in that article. Trevor Hillhouse, Welby Malczewski, Grant Warner, and Joe Gahm aren't listed with the pitching group. Seeing as we probably have to reduce the roster size down, I'm interested in knowing if their omission was a sign that those players won't return.