2017 baseball recruiting thread (Updated 10/25/17)

On 11/11/2016 at 3:31 PM, WEagle24 said:

Do they think Burns is going to make it to AU or is he likely going straight to the pros?

coaches usually don't express opinions on stuff like that openly and baseball is a sport that usually doesn't get much inside chatter on situations like that. So we don't know and likely won't know what the staf thinks. the only resource we have is draft projections. if he is projected high then you think he might be going pro

On 11/11/2016 at 4:21 PM, FoundationEagle said:

Ok, so really 7-9 pitchers and 5-7 position players depending where they end up. Is that normal?  Still seems high but as so said I'm ignorant on the subject. Do we need that many pitchers or did we just get the best players we could regardless of position?  

2 of the pitchers can play other positions when they're not pitching so it's not a mutually exclusive thing with five to seven position players and 7-9 pitchers. If they do play other positions then you have 9 pitchers and 7 position players out of the 14 players that were signed. With baseball only having 11.7 scholarships to to divide up between 30 + players you don't sign players just because they're the best available. You sign what you believe you need. Each player you sign takes away a little bit of money unless he's a walk-on from other players you have signed that you were giving a scholarship to.

Edited by ellitor

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:06 PM, ellitor said:

2 of the pictures can play other positions when they're not pitching so it's not a mutually exclusive thing with five to seven position players and 7-9 pitchers. If they do play other positions then you have 9 pitchers and 7 position players out of the 14 players that were signed. With baseball only having 11.7 scholarships to to divide up between 30 + players you don't sign players just because they're the best available. You sign what you believe you need. Each player you sign takes away a little bit of money unless he's a walk-on from other players you have signed that you were giving a scholarship to.

JMO but pitching was our biggest need and generally you can't have too many good pitchers. But we lost some good bats from last year (if not good gloves) so it's  hard to tell where the runs will come from.

A question:   What's the situation with Keegan Thompson these days?    Will he be 100% ?

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

What's the situation with Keegan Thompson these days?    Will he be 100% ?

From last month

Now healthy, RHP Keegan Thompson set to throw first pitch of Auburn’s fall practice

Josh Vitale | AU Writer

Auburn right-hander Keegan Thompson, pictured in 2015, is back at full health this fall. He missed all of last season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. 

When the Auburn University baseball team takes the field at Plainsman Park for its first scrimmage of the fall on Friday, Keegan Thompson will throw the first pitch.

“With what he's done with his body and how hard he's worked,” coach Butch Thompson said prior to the Tigers’ first official practice on Thursday, “he needs to be rewarded.”

It’s been a long road to this point for the junior right-hander who, because of Tommy John surgery, is approaching 17 months since he last threw a pitch in a game for Auburn.

After a freshman season which he went 5-3 with a 2.01 ERA, Thompson was quickly developing into an ace for the Tigers. He started his second season on the Plains the same way he ended his first, going 7-2 with a 2.84 ERA over his first nine starts.

But Thompson left an April 18, 2015, start against Ole Miss after two innings with soreness in his right elbow, and he didn’t pitch again until Auburn’s regular-season finale. The right-hander pitched two innings in that game and 2 1/3 more against Mercer to save the Tigers’ only win of the NCAA Regionals.

On June 23, 2015, a little less than two months after Auburn’s season ended in a loss to Charleston, Thompson went under the knife.

And on Thursday, a little more than 15 months later, Thompson got back to business.

“Rehab went fine, so we’re just getting out and starting a new fall,” the right-hander said, seeming to downplay his return to the mound. “My arm is feeling good now. Everybody is in kind of the same spot right now, pitches-wise. We all started throwing back in September, we’re all excited to start throwing again.”

After a redshirt year last season, Thompson has come back to the Tigers a veteran. He’s already felt himself becoming a vocal leader, something he described as “weird.”

“I’ve always tried to lead by example and by work ethic,” he continued, “so it’s a new thing for me.”

In some ways, he’s the perfect fit for that role. On a team that features 20 new players to go along with 22 returners, Thompson could almost be considered the bridge between the two factions. He’s entering his fourth year at Auburn, but at the same, he’s never played a game for second-year coach Thompson.

“I think our players are hungry,” the coach said entering his first fall on the Plains. “We have a lot of room for improvement, not just a little bit. We have to continue to grow and be competitive. We’ve given no days away, and I think it’s helped us cherish a fall practice where sometimes a program that has been doing the same thing for a long time gets into a routine.

“We really attacked this first phase and I don’t want to let off the gas pedal for a second heading into fall practice.”

There’s a chance Keegan Thompson could have returned late last season for the Tigers. He might have been able to get a few innings under his belt, and those innings might have been enough to put him on a few organization’s MLB draft radar.

• Like 1

• ellitor unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

He is playing his way in to a position too be drafted where he will not be playing for us isn't he?

On 4/30/2017 at 2:56 AM, GwillMac6 said:

He is playing his way in to a position too be drafted where he will not be playing for us isn't he?

Awkward situation...hoping one of our recruits does not get so much national recognition but I expect the MLB scouts don't miss many good prospects...so we just wait and see what happens huh ?

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Awkward situation...hoping one of our recruits does not get so much national recognition but I expect the MLB scouts don't miss many good prospects...so we just wait and see what happens huh ?

Honestly I consider it a huge win if Keegan & Burns are the only losses to the draft. We have 5 or so kids in Baseball America's most recent top 200 prospects list.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Honestly I consider it a huge win if Keegan & Burns are the only losses to the draft. We have 5 or so kids in Baseball America's most recent top 200 prospects list.

Yep, current class gets us to 37 players by my count so theyre expecting a few recruits to draft. 

8 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Yep, current class gets us to 37 players by my count so theyre expecting a few recruits to draft. 

Or leave on their own. Happens to some every year.

For sure, if a kid gets drafted a little higher than expected he may leave for juco, or he may just not like/want to put the work in. 

8 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

For sure, if a kid gets drafted a little higher than expected he may leave for juco, or he may just not like/want to put the work in. 

I was talking about some players on the current roster leaving. For example, we had 5 or 6 catchers on the roster last Fall but when the season starter we had only 3.

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

I counted 25 returning players, 14 signees, & 1 commit. If DeLa Torre signs that makes a total of 40. We would have to lose or drop 5 to make the NCAA roster limit of 35.

Edited by ellitor

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I counted 25 returning players, 14 signees, & 1 commit. If DeLa Torre signs that makes a total of 40. We would have to lose or drop 5 to male the NCAA roster limit of 35.

I didnt count Keegan or de la torre, and went to auburn so... math :) ha

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Is there any chance that we lose any of our current commits to UAT with the coaching change?

This class has already signed so no except for De La Torre who hasn't signed yet. Now the 2018 class that signs in November 2017, yes.

There has been some buzz recently that Auburn stands a good chance to land Tanner Burns and Steven Williams. If we could somehow manage to get them plus Evan Steele on campus, that'd be pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

There has been some buzz recently that Auburn stands a good chance to land Tanner Burns and Steven Williams. If we could somehow manage to get them plus Evan Steele on campus, that'd be pretty awesome.

I've said it before. If we only lose Keegan & Tanner in the draft it will be a huge W IMO.

Where did you see the buzz? I'd like to read.

Edited by ellitor

Although I haven't talked to them in years, I know burns parents.  Dad is a coach.  He could very well see the value in his son being coached by Thompson for a few years.  Also isn't tanners brother associated with the auburn team now?  I think he went to auburn under Galloway and might still be involved in the program in some manner.  Could be wrong about that.  If they have seen the behind the scenes positives - it could play a positive role.

this is purely a hopeful, rose colored glasses post.  I think a lot of these kids would be better off going to college than getting bounced around the lower level pros.

i did have a high school classmate have his son make his pitching debut for the phillies this last weekend.  Got the win and a hit in the game i think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I've said it before. If we only lose Keegan & Tanner in the draft it will be a huge W IMO.

Where did you see the buzz? I'd like to read.

On rivals by a pretty reputable poster who has very good connections to the AD. 

I agree with that too. I'm hoping Tanner can be convinced by our coaches that we can develop him as well as any minor league system can and that the money, probably more, will be there in three years. 

I think Todd will leave if he gets a decent draft spot. Don't see him being able to improve a good draft spot into something better in another season. Anthony worries me because I think his plan was to go after this season, and even with the less than ideal season at the plate, it's hard to change your mind on that type of thing. 

16 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I agree with that too. I'm hoping Tanner can be convinced by our coaches that we can develop him as well as any minor league system can and that the money, probably more, will be there in three years. 

Unfortunately, at his current predicted place in the draft, you'd be talking him out of $1mil plus, which is a lot harder to do the younger a guy is.

42 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I think Todd will leave if he gets a decent draft spot. Don't see him being able to improve a good draft spot into something better in another season. Anthony worries me because I think his plan was to go after this season, and even with the less than ideal season at the plate, it's hard to change your mind on that type of thing. 

Will Todd go high enough though to make it worth not going ahead & finishing his degree if he hasn't done so already? On Josh I don't see him getting picked in the 16th round like last year. It's likely better for him to come back & improve.

45 minutes ago, boomstick said:

On rivals by a pretty reputable poster who has very good connections to the AD. 

Anthony has the glove and the arm...just worried that his hitting never showed up this year.   That's gonna hold him back...JMO

• Like 1