Purifoy completely clear to play 2016-17 season

ellitor

Cole,

What type of ball handler is Purifoy? I wonder if Pearl is looking at him as a Point/Forward type like he did with Tobias Harris his freshman year with CBP? And then off to the NBA.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are going to be very small. And I can't do anything but smh at him playing 4. Not preparing him for the NBA at all...I actually feel bad for him

Is Auburn' s job to prepare him for the NBA or put him in the best position for Auburn to be successful?

It's not the job of Auburn to prepare anybody for the nba. It's the job of Auburn coaches to get the most of out of him while he's at Auburn in the system that Auburn runs. If he's good enough and plays well enough he'll have an opportunity at the next level no matter what position he plays on the floor.

It's not the job of Auburn to prepare anybody for the nba. It's the job of Auburn coaches to get the most of out of him while he's at Auburn in the system that Auburn runs. If he's good enough and plays well enough he'll have an opportunity at the next level no matter what position he plays on the floor.

Just to play devils advocate here, but Saban gets bashed all the time in the football thread about how many of his players are stars in college but a bust in the league (Richardson for example). He seems to get the maximum out of his players while at Updyke but takes heat from some when they fail later. Seems this would be a somewhat related topic to that example. Not disagreeing with you btw, I'm on the side of doing what's best for the school while they are here and if a player fails in the league then that's on them.

I disagree. It is the job of the institution to prepare students for their future professions. It is Auburn's job to make sure that their students are equipped to succeed in business, education, engineering, etc. Why would it not be Auburn's job to make sure their athletes are equipped to succeed at the next level?

While he will play 4 I suspect, with our lack of size, we will be playing a "4 out, 1 in" O making our 3 and 4 spots interchangeable on offense in a sense because Danjel will, I assume, not be playing on the block. However him playing against more traditional PFs on defense might be an issue for us. Luckily his size alone will allow him to have a fighting chance down there.

But also, those traditional PF's won't be able to stick with him out on the perimeter. If Dunans/Lang and Purifoy are in the game together the opposing coach is going to have to stick his more traditional wing on Dunans/Lang and the bigger guy will have to try to chase Purifoy around. I like this possibility. I am taking baby steps in terms of expectation and I think, even with our lack of size and having to play DP at the 4, this roster will be an improvement over the last few years. Even if we don't have a well-balanced roster, the amount of raw talent on the team is something we haven't seen at AU in a long time.

While he will play 4 I suspect, with our lack of size, we will be playing a "4 out, 1 in" O making our 3 and 4 spots interchangeable on offense in a sense because Danjel will, I assume, not be playing on the block. However him playing against more traditional PFs on defense might be an issue for us. Luckily his size alone will allow him to have a fighting chance down there.

But also, those traditional PF's won't be able to stick with him out on the perimeter. If Dunans/Lang and Purifoy are in the game together the opposing coach is going to have to stick his more traditional wing on Dunans/Lang and the bigger guy will have to try to chase Purifoy around. I like this possibility. I am taking baby steps in terms of expectation and I think, even with our lack of size and having to play DP at the 4, this roster will be an improvement over the last few years. Even if we don't have a well-balanced roster, the amount of raw talent on the team is something we haven't seen at AU in a long time.

Inset Heron for Lang & you have mismatches for opposing defenses at all 3 spots sometimes.

Inset Heron for Lang & you have mismatches for opposing defenses at all 3 spots sometimes.

Funny, I actually had Heron in there in addition to Lang/Dunans before removing Heron's name. I was under the assumption he would be playing more SG than SF due to him being 6'4.

I guess 6'4 can work in a 3 guard offense at one of the 3 spots, though. I am actually excited to see how our team progresses this coming season. Fingers crossed we keep everyone healthy!

Wait, is Purifoy 6'6 or 6'8? I feel like I've seen both. I was saying all of this under the assumption he was 6'8.

Funny, I actually had Heron in there in addition to Lang/Dunans before removing Heron's name. I was under the assumption he would be playing more SG than SF due to him being 6'4.

I guess 6'4 can work in a 3 guard offense at one of the 3 spots, though. I am actually excited to see how our team progresses this coming season. Fingers crossed we keep everyone healthy!

My bad. I read your post as talking about 3 positions not 2. Also Heron is 6'5 I believe....And yes we will have a 3 guard line up. That's what Coach Pearl likes & prefers. Dunnans will be a guard play the 3. When he comes out for Bryce for example Heron would then be the guard playing the 3.

My bad. I read your post as talking about 3 positions not 2. Also Heron is 6'5 I believe....And yes we will have a 3 guard line up. That's what Coach Pearl likes & prefers. Dunnans will be a guard play the 3. When he comes out for Bryce for example Heron would then be the guard playing the 3.

Nice. We are going to have a few options on the wing. I like it.

This is not a video game, you have to be able to create a mismatch not just say well this guy is big and this one is small so it's a mismatch. Lang doesn't really create a mismatch the way he plays. Brown doesn't either. What they can offer is since they are threats from the outside that maybe a big guy would have to stay with them and follow them out to the 3 point line and hopefully that keeps them off the boards.

As far as preparing for the NBA, it's absolutely a responsibility of the coach to do so if that's what he said he will do....And it's silly to just say if he's good enough to play he will be good enough no matter what position he plays. He has a skill set that he has to be able to do on the next level. If he doesn't learn it in college then that's a problem. He didn't even play 4 in high school there's a reason for that.

So I'm interested in some of you that are talking line ups and such. What do some of you think the difference between a 2 and a 3?

So I'm interested in some of you that are talking line ups and such. What do some of you think the difference between a 2 and a 3?

As I have stated countless times CBP does not believe in a 2 or 3. He likes having a guard & 2 wings. I just used 2 and 3 as labels for the wings because that's how in grained basketball positions are in most people's heads.

Cole,

What type of ball handler is Purifoy? I wonder if Pearl is looking at him as a Point/Forward type like he did with Tobias Harris his freshman year with CBP? And then off to the NBA.

I don't know, I heard he was a pretty good one. And yes Pearl loves having tall lanky perimeter players that can also handle. Before Harris he used Tyler Smith and great success with him being his marquee player. That helped free up lofton for shots.

He ALWAYS recruited big guards that can handle. That's where the mismatch happens and that's how you control the tempo of the game because you can run and start fast breaks because you have 4 guys on the court that can handle the ball.

I used to post how that's what he was wanting to do with us and that's why he would be ok with Bowers trying to initiate breaks. He was trying to do what golden st does and he was needing Bowers to do a draymon green impersonation. After they won the title pearl confirmed what I was saying in an interview.

Also having long guard helps with being able to switch in screens and nullifies teams using pick and roll (the most simple and oldest strategy in basketball that can't be stopped with the right personnel)

We'll be wasting purifoy ideal size that's a mismatch on the perimeter in the post where he will now be on the bad end of a mismatch.

I just really hope everybody doesn't start bashing him if we don't be good because he was ranked high...I know the posters on this board that will do it too lol.

He should be celebrated because he's literally sacrificing to make the team be better.

As I have stated countless times CBP does not believe in a 2 or 3. He likes having a guard & 2 wings. I just used 2 and 3 as labels for the wings because that's how in grained basketball positions are in most people's heads.

E you don't have to tell me anything countless times about basketball. I know EXACTLY what pearl does. Listened to him explain EXACTLY what he does on offense. I asked for a discussion.

And EVERY freaking coach uses a guard and two wings. I believe what you are trying to say that they are interchangeable in their assignments and that's the "guard" included as well. Otherwise I just don't think you know what you're talking about. Maybe you misread an article or something. No coach plays with two power forwards or two centers. And no coach plays with just two perimeter players and three posts....

Also I'm not just speaking about Pearl's offense/defense. I'm asking what does everybody think the difference is between a shooting guard and a small forward?

E you don't have to tell me anything countless times about basketball. I know EXACTLY what pearl does. Listened to him explain EXACTLY what he does on offense. I asked for a discussion.

And EVERY freaking coach uses a guard and two wings. I believe what you are trying to say that they are interchangeable in their assignments and that's the "guard" included as well. Otherwise I just don't think you know what you're talking about. Maybe you misread an article or something. No coach plays with two power forwards or two centers. And no coach plays with just two perimeter players and three posts....

Also I'm not just speaking about Pearl's offense/defense. I'm asking what does everybody think the difference is between a shooting guard and a small forward?

Roughly 6 inches in height.

Roughly 6 inches in height.

Ideally? No. Ideal height for a shooting guard is 6'5"-6'6" range. Small forward 6'7"-6'8". Of course there are many exceptions to that. I was talking more so about their assignments or what they are offering the team

Cole breaking it down up in here. :)/>

Talking basketball is fun. I guess I should say talking about basketball is fun. Not just getting talked at. Spent my entire life playing it. If I didn't know anything else I know basketball. I loved everything about the game. One of the hardest things getting over was adjusting to not being able to play at the level you're used to playing it.

I will bite on this one, but I feel like it is a trap!! SG typically a bit shorter can shoot it and create their own shot, SF is also a scorer but has to work much harder on the defensive side of the ball as a rebounder and defender, therefore they use a lot more energy on the defensive end of the court than a SG. Much more physical game is required especially at the college level for a SF.

Talking basketball is fun. I guess I should say talking about basketball is fun. Not just getting talked at. Spent my entire life playing it. If I didn't know anything else I know basketball. I loved everything about the game. One of the hardest things getting over was adjusting to not being able to play at the level you're used to playing it.

Same for me but with golf especially getting older

I will bite on this one, but I feel like it is a trap!! SG typically a bit shorter can shoot it and create their own shot, SF is also a scorer but has to work much harder on the defensive side of the ball as a rebounder and defender, therefore they use a lot more energy on the defensive end of the court than a SG. Much more physical game is required especially at the college level for a SF.

Not a trap at all, I'm just wondering who on here know the game at a more advanced level that I may talk to. But you're right. In most cases you'd like a small forward to be a little bigger and stronger to help on boards. And what makes them the most important is when they are agile enough to switch on screens and are able to defend either position. Pretty much the reason why golden state lost in the finals is the mismatch on defense. When you have a guy who can do that but also can dribble, see the floor, and is an exceptional passer then you have a player that can control the entire game. Usually your 2 guard isn't a good enough rebounder so he won't be able to control the flow of a game in the same capacity

Lot of times people spit out cliches on what they hear but sometimes I can't help but wonder do they really know the reasoning behind saying things that they heard because sometimes the subject matter or at least the context the subject matter is stated lacks logic so I'm saying let's talk about this and think some things out instead of regurgitating someone else's ideas.

You can do what I did when I got too old to keep fooling around with baseball. I took up horseback riding. The horse does most of the actual work. All you have to do is think for both horse and rider. Also, horsing around keeps one's cussing vocabulary well oiled. :)

You can do what I did when I got too old to keep fooling around with baseball. I took up horseback riding. The horse does most of the actual work. All you have to do is think for both horse and rider. Also, horsing around keeps one's cussing vocabulary well oiled. :)

Hope you have a nice horse...the ones around here are notorious for tossing their riders. On the other hand, they do keep the ER of our local hospital profitable.......treating broken arms....and worse.

I'm sticking to golf. The worst injury I suffered on a golf course was a slightly strained muscle when reaching down to get my ball out of the cup.

Hope you have a nice horse...the ones around here are notorious for tossing their riders. On the other hand, they do keep the ER of our local hospital profitable.......treating broken arms....and worse.

I'm sticking to golf. The worst injury I suffered on a golf course was a slightly strained muscle when reaching down to get my ball out of the cup.

I've never played a round of golf. As for horses, I have one that I've reached a complete understanding with. He doesn't like excitement and I don't either. The other three here, when I feel like some adventure it's off we go! The rider simply has to have the mentality that he/she is got going to get thrown off, no matter what! Only one ever tossed me and he left here several years ago, possibly to the glue factory.

Lol what I was thinking. Let's go back to can't shoot free throws! And back in the day it was this! And 5 star sucks walk ons and two stars are Auburn men and I hope Pearl does well but I really don't....that should sum up the season when it start.

And pearl likes tall players and two wings and two posts....wash, rinse, repeat. I don't want to get too detailed about the actual strategy being used so I can have it explained to me in a much more general way

Archived