Purifoy completely clear to play 2016-17 season

ellitor

Danjel has reportedly put on 30ish lbs of muscle since coming to AU, from 197 to around 230. For the basketball experts out there, does it ease your concerns about him playing the 4 spot being around 6-7, 6'8 & 230 pound range. Serious question. I just don't know what 230 lbs looks like at that height.

I'm gonna be really impressed if he put on 30 lbs of muscle in a year.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway....hoping BP uses DP to win ball games....and not sacrifice the team t help the guy make the NBA....which he either will or he won't anyway and playing out of position in college is not going to make a difference.

Agree with this. If they're good, they'll be in the NBA regardless. In the meantime the Auburn players are here to help AU win, not prep for some pie in the sky future that maybe one in 50 will achieve. The two goals aren't necessarily exclusive of each other, but when those goals do conflict, AU winning games takes preference hands down.

If you maximizing all of your players that wouldn't include playing them in a position they've never played before. And if you want the optimal team it's playing everybody where they are effective playing. You're right that the two goals aren't necessarily exclusive....you're absolutely wrong saying if a guy is good enough he will play. There are plenty of guys playing right now that aren't even close to being as good as some guys in college now. Now more than ever you're drafted off of measurables and potential. If for some reason he played but didn't show he had a handle or an outside shot, no he's not getting drafted. He damn sure not getting drafted as a power forward. Period.

Guess I am more concerned about what a player does to help AU win games....not fluff up his resume for next level.

I watched Simmons at LSU and IMO it was a wasted year for him and LSU...He got drafted high but not based on what he and his team accomplished.

Anyway....hoping BP uses DP to win ball games....and not sacrifice the team t help the guy make the NBA....which he either will or he won't anyway and playing out of position in college is not going to make a difference.

Agree with this. If they're good, they'll be in the NBA regardless. In the meantime the Auburn players are here to help AU win, not prep for some pie in the sky future that maybe one in 50 will achieve. The two goals aren't necessarily exclusive of each other, but when those goals do conflict, AU winning games takes preference hands down.

If you maximizing all of your players that wouldn't include playing them in a position they've never played before. And if you want the optimal team it's playing everybody where they are effective playing. You're right that the two goals aren't necessarily exclusive....you're absolutely wrong saying if a guy is good enough he will play. There are plenty of guys playing right now that aren't even close to being as good as some guys in college now. Now more than ever you're drafted off of measurables and potential. If for some reason he played but didn't show he had a handle or an outside shot, no he's not getting drafted. He damn sure not getting drafted as a power forward. Period.

So we agree then? It doesn't matter where AU needs him to play, he'll be drafted or not drafted off of his measurables and potential. Pretty sure that's what AU64 and I are both saying.

Guess I am more concerned about what a player does to help AU win games....not fluff up his resume for next level.

I watched Simmons at LSU and IMO it was a wasted year for him and LSU...He got drafted high but not based on what he and his team accomplished.

What do you mean? What more did you want him to do? I just don't understand what you are saying. A player fluffing up their resume is playing good.....He averaged a double double....Now let a guy that's not rated average 5 points and you're singing him praises

What do you mean? What more did you want him to do? I just don't understand what you are saying. A player fluffing up their resume is playing good.....He averaged a double double....Now let a guy that's not rated average 5 points and you're singing him praises

Is there anyone, on any thread, about any subject, that you don't insist on arguing and disrespecting? I mean every thread, almost every day!

So we agree then? It doesn't matter where AU needs him to play, he'll be drafted or not drafted off of his measurables and potential. Pretty sure that's what AU64 and I are both saying.

There is no potential to be drafted for if you just been playing in the post....they can't draft your potential at small forward when you didn't play it and show it. He could average 7 boards a game and they still don't have anything to go on because they are going to say he can't do that against big men in the NBA.

Is there anyone, on any thread, about any subject, that you don't insist on arguing and disrespecting? I mean every thread, almost every day!

Will you PLEASE stop following me? Who did I disrespect? I just really want you to not talk to me.

Simmons did fine.....just suggesting that he had a good supporting cast and the team under-achieved, especially late in the season. I saw him play quite a bit....guy is talented but if you check the stats, most came against minor teams rather than against a pretty mediocre SEC.

Not my intent to pick on him...but just wondering what good it does to go after elite players and then in the process of "developing" them for the NBA, perhaps you don't play them where they are needed most.

I'm not sure what position DP is expected to play if he gets to the NBA....or who has even made that determination considering that he has mostly played against pre-college competition. Just hoping that BP and DP both forget about the NBA ...and lets win some SEC games.

I'm not sure how it's a wasted year for a school to produce the #1 pick in the draft. For all we know it will help lure other recruits there that will indeed effect the wins and losses to their favor. I wish we could have a wasted year and have a player like that go so early in the draft. Been s looooong time.

Simmons did fine.....just suggesting that he had a good supporting cast and the team under-achieved, especially late in the season. I saw him play quite a bit....guy is talented but if you check the stats, most came against minor teams rather than against a pretty mediocre SEC.

Not my intent to pick on him...but just wondering what good it does to go after elite players and then in the process of "developing" them for the NBA, perhaps you don't play them where they are needed most.

I'm not sure what position DP is expected to play if he gets to the NBA....or who has even made that determination considering that he has mostly played against pre-college competition. Just hoping that BP and DP both forget about the NBA ...and lets win some SEC games.

I'm not trying to argue I just really don't understand how you feel preparing for the NBA equals losses. We all know he doesn't have size to play a power forward in the NBA. Hell if you take LeBron James and just play him at 4 you'll be limiting him and hurting your team.

You were one of the main games downing Bowers for not playing like a traditional 4 even though he was doing what BP asked him, now just the thought of saying somebody is obligated to a player you're against it when it's the same thing you complained two years about.

You want a bunch of players who feel like they are lucky to be playing basketball...which is fine but then don't complain about winning.

When you recruit guys who are talented enough to be thinking about the NBA you can't get mad that they should consider their future too. Bowers changed his game up, lost weight, worked hard changed his physique and it didn't work out for him as far as the NBA and I don't think a couple of you said three positive things about him. But you feel like a guy with NBA potential shouldn't worry about it and he should just sacrifice it all for Auburn....these dudes have one shot. Yes they should want to play in the position they are best suited for when the lights come on.

I'm in nuclear engineering, I'd be pissed if I trained for that then the school set up an interview for me for a mechanical engineering job. I'd be even more pissed of a guy who didn't know anything scout me said well if you're a good engineer you'd get the job. Or you had your shot that's on you.

There is no potential to be drafted for if you just been playing in the post....they can't draft your potential at small forward when you didn't play it and show it. He could average 7 boards a game and they still don't have anything to go on because they are going to say he can't do that against big men in the NBA.

You do realize that you are arguing with yourself, right? Just look a few lines above to the first statement of yours that I highlighted. :)

No I'm not, you just keep saying that trying to manipulate words. But you were the other guy killing Bowers for his play because me wasn't playing the way you saw fit for a power forward to play....like I said typical Mikey....You want playing for Auburn to be like an army. Just do what you're told and give yourself up for Auburn. But nah it doesn't work like that, when you have a legit future professionally that's bigger than Auburn individually. But what you can do is play as hard and as well as you can and while you help your team when you display what you may be able to do in the future. Optimally doing things that the NBA would foresee you doing for them

No I'm not, you just keep saying that trying to manipulate words. But you were the other guy killing Bowers for his play because me wasn't playing the way you saw fit for a power forward to play....like I said typical Mikey....You want playing for Auburn to be like an army. Just do what you're told and give yourself up for Auburn. But nah it doesn't work like that, when you have a legit future professionally that's bigger than Auburn individually. But what you can do is play as hard and as well as you can and while you help your team when you display what you may be able to do in the future. Optimally doing things that the NBA would foresee you doing for them

/

Sorry, but in my view if that is prevailing attitude of our recruits, it explains some of the stuff we see on the floor where players apparently go their own way regardless of what is good for the team or regardless of the instructions they get . None of these guys can foretell whether they have an NBA or NFL future when they arrive at Auburn . It Is all speculation and most incoming recruits vastly overrate their professional futures which sometimes causes them to miss out on a great opportunity to develop their skills...and become team players at the same time. It should be interesting to see which route D P takes this year. .... Play for the team , or play for himself ?

Actually, I expect that your view is pretty commonplace which probably explains why so many kids jump from school to school looking for an opportunity to play the game the way they want to play it ..... The problem is that most of the guys not as good as they think they are … Or as people are telling them...... resulting in lots of unfulfilled potential.

It may not be preferred by our fans, but what Cole is saying is right.

I agree with you....but hate that AU has become looked at as a one or two year stepping stone for athletic recruits with professional aspirations rather that using their athletic skills as a ticket to a quality college education they could not otherwise afford.

The world we live in.

I agree with you....but hate that AU has become looked at as a one or two year stepping stone for athletic recruits with professional aspirations rather that using their athletic skills as a ticket to a quality college education they could not otherwise afford.

The world we live in.

I wouldn't be too worried about that just yet. Purifoy is our most "pro-ready" guy on the roster at this point, but I put the chances of him trying to make the leap after this season at considerably less than 50% right now. And Even some of our standout recruits like Heron don't really look like one-and-dones. The truth is those type of players are pretty rare. In the last draft, I want to say only a little over a dozen or so guys were freshman, and roughly a dozen were sophomores.

Now that doesn't mean that recruits' expectations of their own pro prospects don't exceed reality. But for the moment, your sure fire one-and-done types still seem to be heading to UK, Duke, etc. and Pearl seems to be plucking guys from the tier just below that. So I have to imagine he's selling at least a little more than "a ticket to the NBA" to the kids he's pitching to.

The world we live in.

It's not like they can't come back on the college's dime & finish. They can.

Many athletes return to school and finish a degree... I think it's a safe bet that over 50% of players that spent 2-3 seasons in college, return and finish at some point. Maybe not the one and done guys. But the guys who leave as Jr's, are highly likely to return, some come back soon and some come back 10 years later.

Many athletes return to school and finish a degree... I think it's a safe bet that over 50% of players that spent 2-3 seasons in college, return and finish at some point. Maybe not the one and done guys. But the guys who leave as Jr's, are highly likely to return, some come back soon and some come back 10 years later.

From what little I can find, AU does about as well as anyone in encouraging guys to come back after they do whatever they try to do in professional sports. Still our graduation rate is still pretty low, even in the SEC though.....but it's always nice to see someone get that degree ....even if they have already pretty much set they careers in motion......guys like Cam and Bo for example.

As noted, it's likely that the smaller the investment the departing player has in AU ( in the way of passed courses) the less likely he or she will return for a degree later on. BUT......about all AU can do is provide the opportunity ....and then it is up to the athlete to accept responsibility for attending class and doing the work.

/

Sorry, but in my view if that is prevailing attitude of our recruits, it explains some of the stuff we see on the floor where players apparently go their own way regardless of what is good for the team or regardless of the instructions they get . None of these guys can foretell whether they have an NBA or NFL future when they arrive at Auburn . It Is all speculation and most incoming recruits vastly overrate their professional futures which sometimes causes them to miss out on a great opportunity to develop their skills...and become team players at the same time. It should be interesting to see which route D P takes this year. .... Play for the team , or play for himself ?

Actually, I expect that your view is pretty commonplace which probably explains why so many kids jump from school to school looking for an opportunity to play the game the way they want to play it ..... The problem is that most of the guys not as good as they think they are … Or as people are telling them...... resulting in lots of unfulfilled potential.

Extremely subjective and unsubstantiated. As while mistakes are made there has been no evidence that a player just decides not to listen to anybody and do their own thing.

Every school has a team, and nobody plays a perfect game. There are so many variables throughout a game you can NEVER just say something like that. You can hold the ball for a last shot, unless you can do a two for 1. Or if a team is pressing or trapping, or if a team sends a double towards you. Also you look to see if you catch a team napping. Or maybe your defender over plays a screen and gives you a lane and you take him. Maybe they know your call and they have the person the play is drawn up for clocked, maybe somebody slips.....ALL of that and more in split seconds of time to react and make decisions on the fly; and that's one of the most simple situations in basketball....

And I can't remember the last time we recruited somebody that could come in thinking one or two years max

Please add full body articles if you can.

AUBURN, Ala - Auburn basketball fans have been waiting two years to see Danjel Purifoy play for the Tigers.

Finally, this fall, one of the first high-profile recruits to commit to play for coach Bruce Pearl at Auburn will take the floor.

“Everything they expected to see,” Purifoy says. “I’m going to give them everything I’ve got.”

After redshirting last season, Purifoy will join fellow freshmen Mustapha Heron, Anfernee McLemore and Jared Harper in making their Auburn debuts this season.

“They don’t seem like freshmen,” Purifoy says.

Like Purifoy, the trio of true freshmen also arrive with impressive high school credentials.

At first, Purifoy was skeptical, wanting to see if his new teammates could live up to the hype.

“Once I first saw Jared, and all of the talk that people were saying, I was like, ‘Nah, he can’t be all that,’” Purifoy says. “But when I played against him and I had to guard him, I said, ‘Yeah, he’s that deal.’”

A 6-foot-7 forward, Purifoy says he spent much of his redshirt season working on defense.

Offense, he says, comes more easily.

“Attacking, get to the rim. Putting the ball in the hole. Attacking, dishing the ball, getting better looks for my teammates,” Purifoy says.

While sitting out, Purifoy contributed intensity, to help his teammates prepare for games.

“Practice, to me, was game time," he says. "When I went in for practice, it was game day for me. So I went in and did all I could do to help my players be better.”

Not getting to play was difficult.

“It was terrible, to be honest,” he says. “But I went through it like it was nothing. Did very well in school. Couldn’t practice as much, but nothing is slowing me down.”

Purifoy was pleased with Auburn’s back-to-back wins over Kentucky and Alabama, but he has turned the page to the 2016-17 season.

“Last season’s over with,” he says. “We’ve got better players in, and it’s a new season, I’m not really worried about last year.”

Purifoy’s ability has often drawn compliments from his coach, who has said Danjel’s talent will enable him to play professionally.

“Sometimes you want to get the big head, but I can’t do that,” Purifoy says. “It’s just how I was raised. For him to say that, it means a lot to me, but at the same time, I still have to get better in a lot of areas.”

With the talent influx, and a solid nucleus returning, Auburn fans are hopeful the Tigers can return to the NCAA Tournament next March.

“It’s an awesome feeling,” Purifoy says. “We thought we were going to do it last year, because that was a pretty good team last year. But this year, I really think we can pull it off. I really think we can get there and do some big things.”

Despite that confidence, you won’t hear Purifoy and his teammates discussing their postseason plans in much detail.

“We’re really just focused on getting there, instead of talking so much about it.”

Ha, I like how he just flat out said we've got better players coming in. Sometimes the answer is obvious.

Archived