Horace Spencer has knee meniscus surgery

ellitor

Expected out 8-10 weeks. Link

Auburn forward Horace Spencer is expected to miss eight to 10 weeks after having meniscus surgery on his left knee, Tigers head coach Bruce Pearl has confirmed to AL.com.

Pearl said the surgery "went well" and he expects Spencer back in early September.

The 6-foot-9, 220-pounder is expected to compete for a starting job in his sophomore season after the departure of fellow forwards Cinmeon Bowers, Jordon Granger and Tyler Harris.

Spencer played in every game for the Tigers (11-20) last year and started 18. He averaged 5.1 points, 4.9 rebounds in 18.1 minutes per contest. He led the team with 65 blocks.

"I got better toward the end of the season, but I could have done more at the beginning," Spencer told AL.com after Auburn's season ended in March. "I grew us a player. My offensive game came along a long way... I just want to grow up a bit and become a man on the court and off the court and become a better basketball player for Auburn."

Auburns version of the bambino curse ...

Will we ever go without things like this?

Spencer has some great upside, but can't be missing 8-10 weeks at any point during his young development.

Hate to see this.....sounds like a long recovery for that kind of injury.??

It's just cartilage. I played through the same injury when I played basketball. I didn't get it scoped either but I'm sure the scoping is not all that bad. I can bend my knee and you will hear cartilage and stuff like you hear white noise from a radio transmitter. He should be okay long term.

It's just cartilage. I played through the same injury when I played basketball. I didn't get it scoped either but I'm sure the scoping is not all that bad. I can bend my knee and you will hear cartilage and stuff like you hear white noise from a radio transmitter. He should be okay long term.

Yeah. Other people are saying it's minor. Not in my knowledge base so :dunno:

Yeah. Other people are saying it's minor. Not in my knowledge base so :dunno:

I was just thinking that 8-10 weeks was a long recovery for a torn meniscus....I've been thinking the recovery was faster than that. But I guess there are degrees of damage, etc. .etc. Hope he is full speed by Oct.

How does this affect his ability to perform at 100% this upcoming season? Will he lose cutting/jumping ability or is this just a bump in the road for his off-season training to refine his game?

How does this affect his ability to perform at 100% this upcoming season? Will he lose cutting/jumping ability or is this just a bump in the road for his off-season training to refine his game?

The latter is believed but you never know. How each athlete rebounds from an injury is different.

There are various degrees of cartilage damage, How long to recover and whether you have full recovery depends on the amount of damage.

I pulled this from this site:

http://www.londonkneeclinic.com/knee-problems/articular-cartilage-damage

Outerbridge classification of cartilage damage

Articular cartilage damage is graded according to the Outerbridge classification of cartilage damage described in 1961. This grade is based on the appearance of the articular cartilage when seen at arthroscopy.

• Grade 0 – normal cartilage
  • Grade 1 – cartilage softening and swelling
  • Grade 2 – partial-thickness loss with fissures on the surface that do not reach subchondral bone or exceed 1.5 cm in diameter
  • Grade 3 – fissuring to the level of subchondral bone in an area with a diameter more than 1.5 cm
  • Grade 4 – exposed subchondral bone

It's a meniscus... he'll be fine.

10-12 weeks is very conservative... (good for Horace)

But, if AU played in 6 weeks, he'd be playing...

• 1 month later...

Surgery went well and follow up imaging looks good. He will be prime to go in a few weeks to start adding his mobility back. Pretty common injury in many sports and def recoverable. This is the time of year to take care of things like this.

ill keep you updated.

Archived