The Brexit Vote

AUDub

Yeah, let's not vote for freedom if it costs us a few credits.

" ... we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor. "

Good thing our Founding Fathers weren't made of such fragile stuff.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" ... we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor. "

Besides lets be honest here, people in the market who experienced paper losses is NOT a concern that legitimately discredits the Brexit vote. Come on!

Dow tracking today where it did back on June 15 and 16....funny, total global economic collapse predicted by the "smart" people hasn't happened yet. Hhhhmmm....the FTSE back at pre-Brexit levels...Hhhmmm...but the French and German markets still haven't recovered to pre-Brexit levels yet...Hhhmmm....so just exactly who has the issue?

I just find this liberal hysteria all so funny....

Brits get self determination....Europe gets to sort itself out.

The pound hasn't recovered.

Most country's master planners are attempting to devalue their currency today. Promotes exports. Creates cheap labor and goods to sell to the rest of the world. Short sighted but the Brits got there with just a vote.

Nice spin on loss of wealth. ;)/>

paper losses and they happen ALL the time. Funny how you only care about them when you think it helps you argument. LOL

Hardly a paper loss to retiree expats living in the eurozone. Another example of your inability to discuss anything without assuming every discussion has two "sides."

I consider thinking that every argument having 2 sides is a compliment not a slight and your insistence that the losses are permanent is a strong exhibit that you very well could be out of your depth in this discussion,.

The problem is that you think every discussion is an argument. And I never said "permanent." Once again, you insist on arguing and creating the positions you want to argue against.

Besides lets be honest here, people in the market who experienced paper losses is NOT a concern that legitimately discredits the Brexit vote. Come on!

Not opposed to the Brexit vote, but was responding to a post claiming everything was back to preBrexit levels. Try to follow the points you insist on arguing.

Dow tracking today where it did back on June 15 and 16....funny, total global economic collapse predicted by the "smart" people hasn't happened yet. Hhhhmmm....the FTSE back at pre-Brexit levels...Hhhmmm...but the French and German markets still haven't recovered to pre-Brexit levels yet...Hhhmmm....so just exactly who has the issue?

Most country's master planners are attempting to devalue their currency today. Promotes exports. Creates cheap labor and goods to sell to the rest of the world. Short sighted but the Brits got there with just a vote.

paper losses and they happen ALL the time. Funny how you only care about them when you think it helps you argument. LOL

Hardly a paper loss to retiree expats living in the eurozone. Another example of your inability to discuss anything without assuming every discussion has two "sides."

I consider thinking that every argument having 2 sides is a compliment not a slight and your insistence that the losses are permanent is a strong exhibit that you very well could be out of your depth in this discussion,.

The problem is that you think every discussion is an argument. And I never said "permanent." Once again, you insist on arguing and creating the positions you want to argue against.

Wow. You really just said that. :-\

Wow. You really just said that. :-\/>

Wow. You can use the bold function.

You need a doctor. Or might I recommend a gym? Chat with your grumpy old ass when i get back. If your lucky. :muscles:

Takes a shot at you for making an obviously true statement about Blue. He's a passive-aggressive weasel.

Takes a shot at you for making an obviously true statement about Blue. He's a passive-aggressive weasel.

That shot was well timed, on point and needed. You might want to pay attention. ;)

Funny, that was their choice though wasn't it....we all make choices.....it's only been in the works for nearly two years...a smart expat living in the EU had plenty of time to make adjustments... kind of a bull**** argument to say that somehow the Brits were irresponsible because some expat living in the EU might have lost some money because the Brits re-declared their independence. Don't want to deal with currency risk? move back to the US. Live outside the US, live with currency risks. In the last 20 years I have experienced 4 regional and one global financial crisis while living overseas...oh, throw in SARS on top of that which played hell with the financial markets....part of life overseas...timid? go home...choose to live overseas; get smarter.

Funny, that was their choice though wasn't it....we all make choices.....it's only been in the works for nearly two years...a smart expat living in the EU had plenty of time to make adjustments... kind of a bull**** argument to say that somehow the Brits were irresponsible because some expat living in the EU might have lost some money because the Brits re-declared their independence. Don't want to deal with currency risk? move back to the US. Live outside the US, live with currency risks. In the last 20 years I have experienced 4 regional and one global financial crisis while living overseas...oh, throw in SARS on top of that which played hell with the financial markets....part of life overseas...timid? go home...choose to live overseas; get smarter.

Again, didn't make that argument. Just pointing out you're factually incorrect.

Guest NC1406

Now that there is some spin! :bow:/>

Really did not mean it as spin. Many countries continue to devalue their currencies. It's a race to the bottom. The Brits got a cheaper currency without design.

I am fine they got the devaluation and fine others will pick up the pace in the race. The US fed has indicated that they basically canceled interest rate increases that were on the books for this year. Guess what that does to the dollar. Lower. I made out pretty well on the vote in the fuel market gyrations. Let's do it again.

Daniel Hannan

13h

Daniel Hannan‏ @DanielJHannan

"You're all racists!"

"Actually, I just prefer democracy to a remote, self-serving..."

"Shut up! Shut up! Racist!"

Etc.

:laugh:

Its funny how you keep wringing your hands over the financial well being of the English following the Brexit vote. Why don't you worry more about Americans hosueholds? I recently read report that a majority of the American people couldn't come up with $400 to cover an unexpected emergency. Did the Brexit vote cause that too?

"Count yourself fortunate, or something, if you’re among the 48 percent of Americans who can cough up a spare $400 in emergency cash without having to beg, borrow or steal. According to a Federal Reserve report on American households’ “economic well-being” in 2013, fewer than half of all Americans said they’d be able to come up with four Benjamins on short notice to deal with an unexpected expense."

http://personalliber...-unless-borrow/

Its funny how you keep wringing your hands over the financial well being of the English following the Brexit vote. Why don't you worry more about Americans hosueholds? I recently read report that a majority of the American people couldn't come up with $400 to cover an unexpected emergency. Did the Brexit vote cause that too?

"Count yourself fortunate, or something, if you’re among the 48 percent of Americans who can cough up a spare $400 in emergency cash without having to beg, borrow or steal. According to a Federal Reserve report on American households’ “economic well-being” in 2013, fewer than half of all Americans said they’d be able to come up with four Benjamins on short notice to deal with an unexpected expense."

What does that have to do with anything? The subject of this thread is the Brexit vote and all its effects going forward. He's on topic. You aren't.

What does that have to do with anything? The subject of this thread is the Brexit vote and all its effects going forward. He's on topic. You aren't.

The English people will be fine going forward. Markets fluctuate as John Jacob Astor famously pointed out to a young journalist who was hoping for some insider information when asked what the market was going to do, he replied. The market is going to go up, Then its going to go down after which it will go back up and then it will go back down again. The point is markets predictably react to uncertainty real or imagined and the short term loss of elitist paper value is easily trumped by regaining a nations sovereignty. I'm as on topic as he is - British pound has been slumping for over 20 years and the FTSE has recovered all its losses and is trading above where it was before the Brexit vote.,,so, why all the hand wringing?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/stock-market

The English people will be fine going forward. Markets fluctuate as John Jacob Astor famously pointed out to a young journalist who was hoping for some insider information when asked what the market was going to do, he replied. The market is going to go up, Then its going to go down after which it will go back up and then it will go back down again. The point is markets predictably react to uncertainty real or imagined and the short term loss of elitist paper value is easily trumped by regaining a nations sovereignty. I'm as on topic as he is - British pound has been slumping for over 20 years and the FTSE has recovered all its losses and is trading above where it was before the Brexit vote.,,so, why all the hand wringing?

http://www.tradingec...om/stock-market

Your latest post is. Your red herring about the American people and their lack of emergency cash wasn't.

No one knows how this will really affect Britain over the long haul. The market is merely a reflection of fears that it will be negative.

Those fears are founded in the opinions of economists, who presumably have more studied arguments than anyone on this forum (certainly more than me). But they might be wrong.

Personally, I think the Brexit vote was influenced by a lot of inchoate rabble-rousing regarding immigration and sovereignty issues and largely ignored what was in Britain's best long term interests. But I could be wrong.

I also think that there is a more than slight chance it will never happen. I kind of doubt the referendum would go the same way if held again, and there is no legal reason why such a second referendum cannot be held. But I could be wrong. We have at least two more years to find out.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/stock-market

Hand wringing? Which post of mine meets that definition? I've said repeatedly I didn't have a position on this matter, I just find it interesting. Frankly, as an observer, the leave vote is more interesting because it sets changes in motion. I also think the vote to leave was complex and defies easy categorization. The ultimate outcome won't be decided for years. You're the one with the position and you're willing to distort and deceive to make your point. The FTSE 100 is not the best gauge since it is heavy in international stocks. The FTSE 250 is a much better gauge since it has many more domestic stocks. It's down. The pound is at a more than 30 year low and to suggest that's just normal fluctuation is either ignorant or dishonest. It has hovered around $1.50 for years and has been one of the worlds most stable currencies. For purely personal reasons, I'm glad to see my dollar go further when I'm there. You assume anyone not taking your position is strongly on "the other side" which is why you are utterly incapable of objective discussion. I see this thread as an ongoing discussion of observations of what's happening in the immediate aftermath. Beyond that is speculation-- well thought out speculation is interesting, too, although folks like you only offer dogma.

Archived