2017 softball recruiting thread (Class Signed 11/9/16)

This is a very impressive class & these girls deserve their own thread. #5 player in the nation Shortstop Taylon Snow just flipped to AU from Washington. Adding her gives AU the #2 class in the nation on flosoftball.com only behind UCLA. Individual rankings are hidden behind a pay wall but per the team rankings 7 of the 8 commits are in the flosoftball.com Hot 100 players list, most of any school in the nation.

Signing Class

AUBURN, Ala. – Looking to build momentum on its back-to-back trips to the Women’s College World Series, the Auburn softball coaching staff has put together another elite recruiting class for the 2018 season.

“We’re excited about this class,” said head coach Clint Myers. “They’re very talented and athletic. They’re going to make us better.”

In total, the Tigers inked eight players, including five local players from the states of Alabama and Georgia. The class also spans nation-wide as three signees hail from California and Illinois to make up the nation’s No. 2 recruiting class.

“This is our first full SEC-caliber class since we got here and we expect every player in it to be a positive impact to the program,” stated assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Scott Woodard. “How fast this happens will depend on them. It has players in all four position groups and gives us tremendous depth for the 2018 season. We will be replacing the entire left side of the infield much like we did the right side this year, so having depth in the infield was imperative. We also have two pitchers in this class, which will bring our depth in the circle back up as well.”

Auburn has signed Kara Bilodeau (Cumming, Ga./South Forsyth), Makenna Dowell (Suwanne, Ga./North Gwinnett), Chardonnay Harris (Oak Park, Ill./Oak Park and River Forest), Mackenzie Nutt (Madison, Ala./Sparkman), Jenna Olszewski (Hoover, Ala./Spain Park), Livy Schiele (Bonita, Calif./The Bishop’s), Taylon Snow (Chino Hills, Calif./Chino Hills) and Abby Tissier (Hoover, Ala./Hoover).

Auburn's Signing Class for 2018 Season
Name Position B-T Travel Team Hometown/High School
Kara Bilodeau P R-R Atlanta Vipers Cumming, Ga./South Forsyth
Makenna Dowell SS L-R Worth Cobras Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett
Chardonnay Harris P L-L Birmingham Bolts Oak Park, Ill./Oak Park and River Forest
Mackenzie Nutt 2B/SS R-R Birmingham Bolts Madison, Ala./Sparkman
Jenna Olszewski OF R-R Birmingham Bolts Hoover, Ala./Spain Park
Livy Schiele OF L-L OC Batbusters Bonita, Calif./The Bishop's
Taylon Snow SS L-R OC Batbusters Chino Hills, Calif./Chino Hills
Abby Tissier C R-R Birmingham Bolts Hoover, Ala./Hoover

Position Capsules

Pitchers
Kara Bilodeau (Cumming, Ga./South Forsyth) & Chardonnay Harris (Oak Park, Ill./Oak Park and River Forest)

Bilodeau was tabbed as a 2016 USA Select First Team All-American and a Second Team High School All-American for head coach Ronnie Davis. She also was tabbed all-county and all-region during her first two years in varsity softball. She is the daughter of Steve and April Bilodeau and has three sisters: Hannah, Erika and Samantha.

Harris, the 2016 Illinois Player of the Year, led her team to the state championship under head coach Mel Kolbusz. She holds a career pitching record of 38-5 with 355 strikeouts in 228.1 innings. The two-time all-state and all-conference pitcher is the daughter of Bill and Leah Leark and has two siblings: Christian and Timmy.

Woodard: “Kara is a power-pitching right hander who has jumped on the national scene this past year and will also throw for the Canadian Junior National team this summer. Chardonnay is someone we have watched since we were at Arizona State. She is a tall, lanky, left-handed arm that has a tremendous upside and we can't wait to see how her career here goes.”

Catchers
Abby Tissier (Hoover, Ala./Hoover)

This past summer, Tissier was named First Team All-State and an Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA) All-Star. She holds a career batting average of .349 behind 137 hits heading into her senior season, including 34 doubles, 17 home runs and two triples to go along with 113 RBI. She is the daughter of Jeff and Wendy Tissier.

Woodard: “Abby is a very good defensive catcher who has been coming to camp for three years and has a very good idea of what we do. She does a great job of leading her Birmingham Bolt pitching staff and we look forward to her growth behind the plate.”

Infielders
Makenna Dowell (Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett), Mackenzie Nutt (Madison, Ala./Sparkman) & Taylon Snow (Chino Hills, Calif./Chino Hills)

Dowell, an all-state and four-year all-county selection, has 43 career RBI and has scored 100 runs. She has hit over .300 in her past four seasons, including two campaigns over .400, and has maintained .914 fielding percentage. She is the daughter of Eric and Kim Dowell and has one sibling: Ethan.

Nutt has been a force at the plate with 180 career hits, including 45 doubles, 14 triples and 19 home runs, and touts 167 RBI in three seasons at the dish. The First Team All-American and Huntsville Times North Region Player of the Year also has swiped 41 bases. She is the daughter of William and Renee Green.

Snow, a .504 career hitter, has totaled 177 hits, including 32 doubles, 10 triples and 17 homers, to go along with 102 RBI and 108 runs. She is a three-time all-american and was the California State Freshman of the Year in 2013. She is a daughter of Craig and Trista Snow and has two siblings: Talee and Tannon, who is a sophomore on the Auburn softball team.

Woodard: “Taylon and Makenna may be the best middle infielders defensively in the country. Both of them have tremendous range and are very versatile players. Both have above-average foot speed and both are left handed hitters. Mackenzie was named the MVP of this last year’s Alabama State Tournament after leading her team to the title. She can play all three infield spots and has been one of the best hitters in Alabama for the last three years.”

Outfielders
Jenna Olszewski (Hoover, Ala./Spain Park) & Livy Schiele (Bonita, Calif./The Bishop’s)

Olszewski is an all-state, all-region and all-county honoree for head coach CJ Hawkins. She has provided the pop in the lineup as she has 20 roundtrippers with 90 RBI in three seasons. She also has 37 doubles, nine triples and 20 stolen bases. She is the daughter of Jon and Joan Olszewski and has one sibling: Jordan.

Schiele holds seven school records in batting average (.589), runs (158), hits (152), doubles (30), triples, (17) walks (46) and stolen bases (90). She is a three-time Coastal League Player of the Year and has been tabbed as an all-american twice. She is the daughter of Art and Corine Schiele and has two siblings: Cody and Nick.

Woodard: “Livy was another one of our kids that we had recruited while we were at ASU. She has the ‘it’ factor that every coach is looking for. She plays with a huge motor, will run through the fence for you and is extremely coachable. She will be very good player in the SEC before her time in Auburn is over. Jenna is another Alabama product that has had great success both in high school and the club scene. She can play almost every position on the field and is extremely athletic. She possesses good foot speed, good arm strength and has some pop from the plate also

Edited by ellitor

Excellent work by Coach Myers and Staff!! The exposure Auburn Softball has gotten the past two years, especially this year, has been instrumental in getting these commitments. The coaching, the on field talent, the work ethics and the class were more than evident in all of the games and softball pre-game and post-game telecast. The girls showed their talents while obviously having fun and being a close knit team. And last but not least, the fan base that attended all of the regional and super regional games at Jane B. Moore and the fans who made the trip to Oklahoma City are also huge factors in being able to recruit the level of players we are recruiting. Keep up the great work, Coaches, Players, Fans and ellitor!! War Eagle!!

Excellent work by Coach Myers and Staff!! The exposure Auburn Softball has gotten the past two years, especially this year, has been instrumental in getting these commitments. The coaching, the on field talent, the work ethics and the class were more than evident in all of the games and softball pre-game and post-game telecast. The girls showed their talents while obviously having fun and being a close knit team. And last but not least, the fan base that attended all of the regional and super regional games at Jane B. Moore and the fans who made the trip to Oklahoma City are also huge factors in being able to recruit the level of players we are recruiting. Keep up the great work, Coaches, Players, Fans and ellitor!! War Eagle!!

I checked the Verbals list on goldpitch.com. the first year CCM was here when we lost to Minnesota in regional play. At least half this class was already committed.

Also if anyone gets a chance to watch the Birmingham Thunderbolts travel team play I recommend it. There is a good AU pipeline there and good SEC talent overall.

I've been a fastpitch softball fan since 1983 when I coached my daughters. We moved to Auburn 7 years ago and I started going to AU softball and I've been a season ticket holder for the past 4 years. I can't express how much I've enjoyed being a part of the fans of this team. I can't wait for next year and being a part of the excitement and competition. Watching it grow under Coach Myers and his staff has been amazing.

This new group of recruits will only enhance an already great team.

I'm receiving conflicting reports. So maybe E can break this down for me.

So the Snow sisters committed to Auburn. When do they sign? Which sister is transferring from Washington? Which sister is the number 1 recruit? The high school recruit or the transfer? Is either one of them eligible to play immediately? How many years of eligibility does the transfer have left to play? Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

So the Snow sisters committed to Auburn. When do they sign? Which sister is transferring from Washington? Which sister is the number 1 recruit? The high school recruit or the transfer? Is either one of them eligible to play immediately? How many years of eligibility does the transfer have left to play? Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Not sure where you are looking but some of the correct answers are in this forum. 1. Tannon does not have to sign. She is technically part of the 2016 class since she is transferring in August. Taylon is in the 2017 class & signs November 9, 2016-November 18, 2016 or April 12, 2017- August 1, 2017. Link 2. Tannon. 3. Taylon but Tannon was very high in the 2015 class. I don't know how high though because I am not paying the $20 it costs to see player rankings on flosoftball.com. 4. Taylon is eligible immediately but her being in the 2017 class means her 1st AU season is 2018. As for Tannon the flosoftball.com transfer article did not confirm if she has to sit or not. The article implies she does not have to sit though with it saying the sisters will play together in 2018-2019. If Tannon has to sit the 2017 season they would play together 2018-2020. FWIW Kaylee Carlson did not have to sit in 2016 after transferring from UNC in 2015 so there is a possibility Tannon does not have to sit.. If you came across something explicitly saying she can play immediately or sit let me know. I have not seen anything yet. 5. Tannon will have 4 years to play 3 starting next season. 6. Spongebob Squarepants.

A note to everyone. The next softball season coming up is the 2017 season.

• Like 1

Not sure where you are looking but some of the correct answers are in this forum. 1. Tannon does not have to sign. She is technically part of the 2016 class since she is transferring in August. Taylon is in the 2017 class & signs November 9, 2016-November 18, 2016 or April 12, 2017- August 1, 2017. Link 2. Tannon. 3. Taylon but Tannon was very high in the 2015 class. I don't know how high though because I am not paying the $20 it costs to see player rankings on flosoftball.com. 4. Taylon is eligible immediately but her being in the 2017 class means her 1st AU season is 2018. As for Tannon the flosoftball.com transfer article did not confirm if she has to sit or not. The article implies she does not have to sit though with it saying the sisters will play together in 2018-2019. If Tannon has to sit the 2017 season they would play together 2018-2020. FWIW Kaylee Carlson did not have to sit in 2016 after transferring from UNC in 2015 so there is a possibility Tannon does not have to sit.. If you came across something explicitly saying she can play immediately or sit let me know. I have not seen anything yet. 5. Tannon will have 4 years to play 3 starting next season. 6. Spongebob Squarepants.

A note to everyone. The next softball season coming up is the 2017 season.

Youre the best E.

Also Tannon could be considered the #1 player for 2015 in 1 way. She was the Max Preps National Player of the Year her Sr year.

Carlson could play immediately because NC gave her a release. Fagan had to sit a year because USA refused to give a release. We looked into that earlier so I'm not researching the links again but that's how it works in softball, which is different from most other sports.

Whether the transfer from Washington can play next year (2017) or not will depend on whether the U of Washington will give her a release. Release=play, no release=sit.

PS: Copied from the "Tannon Transfers" thread:

“Coach Carr and the staff was gracious and supportive; they gave her a release and if we see her on the field we’ll give each other a warm hello.”

If this is accurate then she plays without having to sit a transfer year.

Edited by Mikey

Carlson could play immediately because NC gave her a release. Fagan had to sit a year because USA refused to give a release. We looked into that earlier so I'm not researching the links again but that's how it works in softball, which is different from most other sports.

Whether the transfer from Washington can play next year (2017) or not will depend on whether the U of Washington will give her a release. Release=play, no release=sit.

PS: Copied from the "Tannon Transfers" thread:

“Coach Carr and the staff was gracious and supportive; they gave her a release and if we see her on the field we’ll give each other a warm hello.”

If this is accurate then she plays without having to sit a transfer year.

All this info including transfer rules link is in the Tannon thread. Edited by ellitor

As long as we continue to keep the Myers family in house, we are going to be a force to be reckoned with on the softball diamond. Here's hoping they stay for many years to come!!!

As long as we continue to keep the Myers family in house, we are going to be a force to be reckoned with on the softball diamond. Here's hoping they stay for many years to come!!!

isn't corey myers the HC in waiting?

Yes

Yes, but I think we need to keep Ol' Pops in the mix for as long as possible.

This is a very impressive class & these girls deserve their own thread. #1 player in the nation Shortstop Taylon Snow just flipped to AU from Washington. Adding her gives AU the #2 class in the nation on flosoftball.com only behind UCLA. Individual rankings are hidden behind a pay wall but per the team rankings 7 of the 8 commits are in the flosoftball.com Hot 100 players list, most of any school in the nation.

SS/MIF Taylon Snow

C/1B Abby Tissler

INF Mackensie Nutt

MIF Makenna Dowell

OF Livy Shiele

OF Jenna Olszewski

P Kara Bilodeau

P/1B Chardonnay Harris-Leark

We are not counting Ashley Swindel the USA Today player of the year on this list, which makes this years recruits even more impressive.

Edited by AlaskanFAN

We are not counting Ashley Swindel the USA Today player of the year on this list, which makes this years recruits even more impressive.

Ashlee is in the 2016 class that already signed. This thread is for next year's class, 2017 class which does not sign til November or April. Edited by ellitor

Yes, but I think we need to keep Ol' Pops in the mix for as long as possible.

It also appears that dad is providing Corey with lots of training, opportunities to speak to the media, make decisions and then gives his son credit for making the decision. It is a good example for all parents to follow with son and daughter. I am betting that Corey will be an excellent head coach. Parenting does not end as some age, like when the children finishes their education. It is hard sometime, because they have to learn to fly on their own, but need they parents on into adult live. Oh, I know some children resist advice and it is sometime hard to provide them help they need to be successful. For me, the hardest thing about being a parent with learn how to deal with and respect adult children, while still being supportive. I will add that I believe the proverb, give a man (woman) a fish, feed them for a day, teach them how to fish, feed them for a lifetime.

Is there a stipulation that the head coach has to have a degree? I believe Cory has a while before he finishes his degree which would make it important for his dad to stay in place for at least that time period.

Is there a stipulation that the head coach has to have a degree? I believe Cory has a while before he finishes his degree which would make it important for his dad to stay in place for at least that time period.

If Clint sticks to his timeline Corey should be done Clint wants to coach til 2020.

If Clint sticks to his timeline Corey should be done Clint wants to coach til 2020.

That's a great plan and AU is a great place for them to accomplish their family goals. Wonderful town to raise their families and enjoy coaching with enthusiastic fans.

The Myers familey and AU struck gold with each other IMO.

That's a great plan and AU is a great place for them to accomplish their family goals. Wonderful town to raise their families and enjoy coaching with enthusiastic fans.

The Myers familey and AU struck gold with each other IMO.

Absolutely agree

Anyone know anything about Kennedy Ward from Mobile. I saw that she is supposed to be a 2016 signee. Do not recall her name on the list that was released last December. Plays short stop in HS. Plays for the Thunderbolts club team.