QB targets now...

steeleagle

Ok. Why did the Mond thread get removed? lol. I realize he committed to TaM, but we can't discuss the followups even after his commitment?

Now what QBs will Gus try to get back in on? To me it will be impossible to change these other kids minds, after they didn't select AU after other initial hard recruiting of them.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. Why did the Mond thread get removed? lol. I realize he committed to TaM, but we can't discuss the followups even after his commitment?

Now what QBs will Gus try to get back in on? To me it will be impossible to change these other kids minds, after they didn't select AU after other initial hard recruiting of them.

1. It was moved to the Rivals Recruiting forum not removed from the site. 2. Link

This class does not have a lot of true QBs left to commit. One guy who has been flying under the radar and seems to be pretty good is 4* Tray Bishop- currently being recruited as an ATH, but is a QB/S in High School.

I thought that the rule was the thread would not get moved until the staff makes it clear we are no longer pursuing the prospect. So are we definitely no longer pursuing Mond?

Secondly. I am no coach and I understand that every school wants a stable of the best at every position so if one goes down you just plug and play. HOWEVER, at some point I believe we (fans) have to be realistic. We have to realize that the stable of athletes works great for almost every position. You rotate guys through at every position on the field EXCEPT QB. Yeah, you may put in your backups when clobbering someone, but I am talking about regular rotations. QBs are rarely swapped during a tight game yet every other position will rotate kids through. So why would a recruit go somewhere that there are already so many studs in the stables? I know that these guys are not supposed to be worried about competition, but why would a QB come to AU right now? Not counting the mythical starter for this year but look at the future of QB (past the presumptuous top 3 of JJ, SW, JFIII):

• Queen: Highly rated and touted QB coming out of HS. Granted he has been fighting the injury bug, but definitely talented. He is currently a RSF with the likelihood of getting last year or this as a Med RS. Which gives him at least 4 and maybe 5 years left in our program.
  • Barrett : Another Highly rated QB that is "the next coming of Cam". Of course that is what they all say, but young man has a lot of skills for sure! I am assuming he will RS this year unless we are in really bad shape. Which gives him 5 years to play 4.
  • Gatewood: Can't really count him because he is 2 years out, but assuming he does sign a year from next Feb then yet another great talent.

This is a lot of future being spoken for. Many other programs do not have this level of talent sitting waiting to play QB. I guess what I am asking through all of this rambling:

1) Why would a QB come ride the pine for 2-3 years before getting a shot when he could be playing as a true SO?

2) Why do we "HAVE" to take a QB every year? I get the idea it is nice to do, but why fill a spot just to fill it. If you have lots of talent and don't get the kid you want, then move on.

I thought that the rule was the thread would not get moved until the staff makes it clear we are no longer pursuing the prospect. So are we definitely no longer pursuing Mond?

Secondly. I am no coach and I understand that every school wants a stable of the best at every position so if one goes down you just plug and play. HOWEVER, at some point I believe we (fans) have to be realistic. We have to realize that the stable of athletes works great for almost every position. You rotate guys through at every position on the field EXCEPT QB. Yeah, you may put in your backups when clobbering someone, but I am talking about regular rotations. QBs are rarely swapped during a tight game yet every other position will rotate kids through. So why would a recruit go somewhere that there are already so many studs in the stables? I know that these guys are not supposed to be worried about competition, but why would a QB come to AU right now? Not counting the mythical starter for this year but look at the future of QB (past the presumptuous top 3 of JJ, SW, JFIII):

• Queen: Highly rated and touted QB coming out of HS. Granted he has been fighting the injury bug, but definitely talented. He is currently a RSF with the likelihood of getting last year or this as a Med RS. Which gives him at least 4 and maybe 5 years left in our program.
  • Barrett : Another Highly rated QB that is "the next coming of Cam". Of course that is what they all say, but young man has a lot of skills for sure! I am assuming he will RS this year unless we are in really bad shape. Which gives him 5 years to play 4.
  • Gatewood: Can't really count him because he is 2 years out, but assuming he does sign a year from next Feb then yet another great talent.

This is a lot of future being spoken for. Many other programs do not have this level of talent sitting waiting to play QB. I guess what I am asking through all of this rambling:

1) Why would a QB come ride the pine for 2-3 years before getting a shot when he could be playing as a true SO?

2) Why do we "HAVE" to take a QB every year? I get the idea it is nice to do, but why fill a spot just to fill it. If you have lots of talent and don't get the kid you want, then move on.

1. There is not a rule for moving threads like that. That's just an E personal thing that I do. Another mod moved the thread and I have no quams with that.

2. None of the horses in the stable have proved themselves to be studs yet.

3. Queen ended up a 3* & not highly rated.

4. Given what I said about no proven studs in the stable it is nowhere near a sure thing that a quality, mostly polished high school QB would have to sit 2-3 years.

5. You take a QB every year to attempt to have quality depth. The AU staff always wants 4 QBs on roster minimum at all times. Also because we have bodies now does not mean we will have bodies next year. Along w/ JJ graduating the odds are high another QB leaves before the 2017 for standard attrition.

This class does not have a lot of true QBs left to commit. One guy who has been flying under the radar and seems to be pretty good is 4* Tray Bishop- currently being recruited as an ATH, but is a QB/S in High School.

Are you Tray, a family member, or his coach? You are pushing him hard since Mond chose aTm.

Obviously there is a ton of negativity when it comes to Auburn QB recruiting and our offensive staff at the moment which is amazing when you think about the fact that an AU QB was the MVP of the NFL. When was the last successful QB from Alabama in the NFL? Yet they keep landing 4 and 5 star elite 11 QBs.

Coach CDC (when he was with AU) said on a radio show last year that there is a lot of negative recruiting when it comes to AU's offense and that it made his job more difficult to recruit QBs/WRs. Now that he is recruiting against us, it will be easier for him.

We need to develop a HS QB and win with a HS QB to show everyone we can...

I moved it because it was my understanding that we moved guys when they made a public commitment to another school.

I moved it because it was my understanding that we moved guys when they made a public commitment to another school.

I like that actually. They can always be moved back later if something changes. In the meantime, there's no need to muck up the board with commits from other teams.

Arkansas commit Daulton Hyatt is an in state kid. He's listed as a pro style QB but he runs like a dual threat. Why not go after him and Tray Bishop? Tray is only a little faster and Daulton looks like a better passer.

Are you Tray, a family member, or his coach? You are pushing him hard since Mond chose aTm.

I know the /s is implied, but brotha isn't Tray or related to him. AFAIK he's never met him.

I know the /s is implied, but brotha isn't Tray or related to him. AFAIK he's never met him.

I'm surprised I wasn't accused of the same thing in regards to Sam Bruce last year. Lol

Even the most talented QB in the country will not matter, unless the coach can put him in a position to win. There are coaches all over the country that have lesser talent and are winning because they understand what they have and what their players can do. More importantly, they put them in a position to win by calling plays and managing the game in a way that gives their guys a chance to win. Frankly, Gus or whoever has been calling the plays just plain suck. They consistently put the players in a place where they have to ask them to do things that the player isn't ready or able to do. I believe Gus knows he has done this and will NOW begin to change the way he manages the game, because if he doesn't he is history. It absolutely infuriates me to see them play after play run up the middle and then do nothing to attempt to deceive the defense. Gus's game is built on motion, execution, deception and tempo, we saw almost none of this last year. For what ever reason anybody can throw up as a defense, Gus needs to coach a better game and STOP running up the middle on EVERY first down.

Frankly, Gus or whoever has been calling the plays just plain suck. They consistently put the players in a place where they have to ask them to do things that the player isn't ready or able to do. I believe Gus knows he has done this and will NOW begin to change the way he manages the game, because if he doesn't he is history. It absolutely infuriates me to see them play after play run up the middle and then do nothing to attempt to deceive the defense. Gus's game is built on motion, execution, deception and tempo, we saw almost none of this last year. For what ever reason anybody can throw up as a defense, Gus needs to coach a better game and STOP running up the middle on EVERY first down.

Lol. "This guy who knows how to do all this cool stuff chose to stop doing it and lose instead for no reason."

Does anyone know if the staff have looked at AVERY HARRIS from MUNFORD ALABAMA. Imo a perfect fit for Gus system. Underrated but very polished and coachable.

He looked pretty good to me and had several redzone highlights which is something we desperately need. He's a qb that puts the ball in good spots for his receiver to make the catch and good enough speed to hurt you if it isn't respected. Only catch is him being 5'11

We need to develop a HS QB and win with a HS QB to show everyone we can...

This is one reason I hope SW wins the starting QB position and excels this year. SW will have to earn it, but it will show the likes of Gatewood and any other prospective QB recruit, that Gus can develop a HS QB and keep the negarecuiters at bay. One reason for these HS QBs to question Gus' ability is that Auburn has not had success (in Gus' tenure) with a "home grown" QB, only the ones that transferred in.

If JFIII wins the starting QB position, I hope he excels also, but this will not stop the constant criticism regarding Gus' ability to develop HS QBs.

Does anyone know if the staff have looked at AVERY HARRIS from MUNFORD ALABAMA. Imo a perfect fit for Gus system. Underrated but very polished and coachable.

No word on AU interest.

That's the norm.

That's the norm.

Now IU know & will follow suit.

That's the norm.

Now IU know & will follow suit.

Well, maybe I'm misremembering-- I suppose if it's clear we are still pursuing, maybe we have kept it active in the AU recruiting.

It doesn't have to be a rigid rule either way.

Yeah. I don't know how when I do or say something on something of that nature, people think it's a rule?

Archived