2017 Recruiting Thread (Updated 1/24/17)

ellitor

NONE when we are not going to have a big role in it. Its pretty boring unless you know or you feel you have a good shot at landing some big fish on tv on signing day. I guess I will pay attention to the production Auburn has been putting on the last couple of years to get my AU fix.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Thought this worthy of a thread for info purposes - please post places you like for your recruiting day coverage (of course mods feel free to merge). ESPN assigned reporters to 16 specific schools - including Cole to Auburn with our currently #9 rated recruiting class but it's interesting to note you could apparently also "get" an ESPN reporter at your school by TV ratings factors alone - Texas (#35 recruiting class currently) got a reporter. War Eagle!

http://gridironnow.com/espn-set-on-hand-16-different-schools-national-signing-day/

that and they have a new big name coach. texas could close strong as well.

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

NONE when we are not going to have a big role in it. Its pretty boring unless you know or you feel you have a good shot at landing some big fish on tv on signing day. I guess I will pay attention to the production Auburn has been putting on the last couple of years to get my AU fix.

Athletic talent not operating in a vacuum, I like to see how my team's rivals are doing on Feb Signing Day too. Kind of a geekish approach I guess - I prefer to call it "holistic monitoring".

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

Athletic talent not operating in a vacuum, I like to see how my team's rivals are doing on Feb Signing Day too. Kind of a geekish approach I guess - I prefer to call it "holistic monitoring".

well we already know where our biggest rival will be. so no mystery there.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

well we already know where our biggest rival will be. so no mystery there.

Both of them. No worse than #2 & #3.

Just now, ellitor said:

Both of them. No worse than #2 & #3.

O yah I had forgotten how well bowl cut has them recruiting this year. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I certainly hope so

Wow.  We will swing and miss on Hunter, Avery, Taylor, Johnson, Bryant.  Going back a little further I'm thinking about Narcisse, the kid at A&M, and I'm sure several others.  I'm partly venting right now, and I know this goes with a territory in recruiting anyway.  I mean we got some great, great recruits this season.  I have to say, though, that by the end of the cycle with all the new coaches in place, I am scared about our recruiting ability going forward.  This has to be close to our worst close in almost a decade.

4 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Wow.  We will swing and miss on Hunter, Avery, Taylor, Johnson, Bryant.  Going back a little further I'm thinking about Narcisse, the kid at A&M, and I'm sure several others.  I'm partly venting right now, and I know this goes with a territory in recruiting anyway.  I mean we got some great, great recruits this season.  I have to say, though, that by the end of the cycle with all the new coaches in place, I am scared about our recruiting ability going forward.  This has to be close to our worst close in almost a decade.

And yet it's still better than most of the classes Tubs brought in...And we have not missed on Bryant yet. We still have a very very real shot. If we do miss on Bryant the rough close could be as rough as the 2008 close. Thank goodness for potential franchise players in Stidham, Ashley, & TD.

Not looking good for a nice finish to recruiting. Missing out on so many major targets along with a disappointing end to the FB season, plus the previous two underachieving seasons, really stinks.

Let's hope for a great 2017 season. We need some positive happenings from our FB program.

I feel like I am watching little kids playing tee-ball with the whiffs here at the end. Very happy with the start and middle though. I feel the class is solid in the fact we filled each position with atleast one very solid person and at some positions two. We just did not fill each position with multiple people and the "wow" factor everyone wants. All in all we have gotten players that have been committed to AU for a long time, which says a lot in my book. War Eagle! Let's see what happens in March and April. 

Well right now we're pretty much reduced to hoping none of our committed guys flips on signing day. These last few days are not at all what I was hoping for or expecting.

We need to hit the trail very soon to round up 2018 early enrolees. We'll certainly have the vacancies available. :(

Look at it this way, we landed our big fish so expertly that they were either already on campus or complete locks by signing day.  There's a lot to be said for that, even with a few misses at the end.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Look at it this way, we landed our big fish so expertly that they were either already on campus or complete locks by signing day.  There's a lot to be said for that, even with a few misses at the end.

Right. There is no drama  because a top tenish class is already locked down. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

There is a lot of truth in that. There is also a lot of truth in the fact that we wanted to enroll 25 with this class and as of right now we are a full five short of the goal. There's been a lot of swinging and missing over the past several days.

53 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There is a lot of truth in that. There is also a lot of truth in the fact that we wanted to enroll 25 with this class and as of right now we are a full five short of the goal. There's been a lot of swinging and missing over the past several days.

I'm gonna try to look at it as this was a down year for some positions and we have 5 extra spots to load up on next year from a better crop of players.  I hope.

5 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Right. There is no drama  because a top tenish class is already locked down. 

And honestly, I don't think this is an AU issue. Most of the top guys are already committed and in many cases already on campus. Of the composite 5 stars, only 4 remain uncommitted. Of the top 100, 16. It's tough to close strong when the pool is so small. 

This is article is an interesting read along that vein. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/national-signing-day-dead-recruiting-sites-try-tell-otherwise/

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well right now we're pretty much reduced to hoping none of our committed guys flips on signing day. These last few days are not at all what I was hoping for or expecting.

We need to hit the trail very soon to round up 2018 early enrolees. We'll certainly have the vacancies available. :(

Also hoping there are some really talented grad transfers or other players like that we can pick up who might be able to contribute.

On 1/31/2017 at 6:55 AM, AlaskanFAN said:

I feel like I am watching little kids playing tee-ball with the whiffs here at the end. Very happy with the start and middle though. I feel the class is solid in the fact we filled each position with atleast one very solid person and at some positions two. We just did not fill each position with multiple people and the "wow" factor everyone wants. All in all we have gotten players that have been committed to AU for a long time, which says a lot in my book. War Eagle! Let's see what happens in March and April. 

Num num num crow num num crow num num crow......I will write on the black board 100 times "I will give the coaches a chance, before passing judgement"

On 1/31/2017 at 7:36 AM, Mikey said:

Well it looks like I was the one that swung and missed yesterday. We did have a solid closing day. Now, depending on who counts where, we'll have only one or two for grad transfers or "countback" early enrolees next year. This is a good thing. We needed quality numbers NOW, not next year and we came very close to filling up. Kudos to the coaching staff.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well it looks like I was the one that swung and missed yesterday. We did have a solid closing day. Now, depending on who counts where, we'll have only one or two for grad transfers or "countback" early enrolees next year. This is a good thing. We needed quality numbers NOW, not next year and we came very close to filling up. Kudos to the coaching staff.

If Mikey happy, Loof happy

Archived