JF3 in Netflix Documentary- airing 7/29

Finished it finally. I don't know what people are talking about with JFIII. He seems like a good kid. He had a couple flashes of attitude, but you could tell that he was well liked by his coaches and teammates. He seemed like a good teammate and kid, honestly. 

My only concern with him is what we already know. He's inconsistent. Same struggles he had in Juco are apparently the same ones he is having at Auburn. 

Also, I don't like Buddy Stephens. I'm sure he's a good guy at heart, but I would have a hard time playing for a guy like that. I think he's a good salesman, and he has surrounded himself with very good people and coaches. 

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Finished it finally. I don't know what people are talking about with JFIII. He seems like a good kid. He had a couple flashes of attitude, but you could tell that he was well liked by his coaches and teammates. He seemed like a good teammate and kid, honestly. 

My only concern with him is what we already know. He's inconsistent. Same struggles her had in Jaco are apparently the same ones he is having at Auburn. 

Also, I don't like Buddy Stephen's. I'm sure he's a good guy at heart, but I would have a hard time playing for a guy like that. I think he's a good salesman, and he has surrounded himself with very good people and coaches. 

That's exactly what I thought. 

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

My only concern with him is what we already know. He's inconsistent. Same struggles her had in Jaco are apparently the same ones he is having at Auburn. 

Also, I don't like Buddy Stephen's. I'm sure he's a good guy at heart, but I would have a hard time playing for a guy like that. I think he's a good salesman, and he has surrounded himself with very good people and coaches. 

i agree with everything but i do like Buddy. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

i agree with everything but i do like Buddy. 

Like I said, I'm sure he's not a bad guy, but personally I wouldn't respond well to a coach who throws punches at referees, whose half time speeches consist of telling us we are playing like f***, and who calls everyone thugs for running out on the field when their running back was getting stomped by half the other team. I couldn't have respect for him. Kids need men who they can look up to, not man childs. 

I haven't finished the series. But he gets results in ways I wouldn't want to. I would not even put up with most of those kids. He has a short memory which is necessary. 

44 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Like I said, I'm sure he's not a bad guy, but personally I wouldn't respond well to a coach who throws punches at referees, whose half time speeches consist of telling us we are playing like f***, and who calls everyone thugs for running out on the field when their running back was getting stomped by half the other team. I couldn't have respect for him. Kids need men who they can look up to, not man childs. 

Important to note that he apologized and admitted fault for this

Lol, he called them thugs after he cussed and tried to fight the refs, then darn near got arrested for agitating the police.  He's a hypocrite, plain and simple.  But I was glad to see the apology later.

i finished the series. I have no problem with JF3. he seemed to be frustrated but respectful of coaches and seemed to encourage the starting QB and they were friendly. I have no idea how well his play can translate to the SEC. I don't recall any other offers he got? If he did have other offers, who? I really like Roberts and find it odd he didn't get any more offers and Moo ST invited him to join so late. i think some of the hoopla like the fight with the referee and the police agitation were a little bit of hollywood put on. most cops i know would have mentioned the camera crew or at least acknowledged them if they were seriously in that type confrontation. 

Looks like he originally got offers from FSU and UTk (among other smaller schools) coming out of high school.  After Juco he was offered at Auburn and Buffalo.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2632302-john-franklin-iii-is-the-juco-backup-qb-who-could-take-the-sec-by-storm

One thing we have known all along is the Gus saw something in this kid that almost *nobody* saw in him. If Franklin is named starter and has even moderate success, Gus Will look a even smarter than folks said he was before 2015. It would be a very pleasant surprise to me.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One thing we have known all along is the Gus saw something in this kid that almost *nobody* saw in him. If Franklin is named starter and has even moderate success, Gus Will look a even smarter than folks said he was before 2015. It would be a very pleasant surprise to me.

Was it Gus or Rhett?

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:37 AM, Barnacle said:

My only concern with him is what we already know. He's inconsistent. Same struggles he had in Juco are apparently the same ones he is having at Auburn. 

Also, I don't like Buddy Stephens. I'm sure he's a good guy at heart, but I would have a hard time playing for a guy like that. I think he's a good salesman, and he has surrounded himself with very good people and coaches. 

My take on it is pretty much spot on with yours.  JF III seems like an intelligent kid.  I do think  Buddy Stephens has the potential to be a good motivator, but he tends to default to yelling and butt-chewing when maybe encouraging would be more effective. I realize that most of these kids have been conditioned to only respond to being yelled at and negativity.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure about Gus, but we know Rhett went to see JF3 play ball and Rhett liked something he saw in the kid.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Was it Gus or Rhett?

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Not sure about Gus, but we know Rhett went to see JF3 play ball and Rhett liked something he saw in the kid.

If Gus is letting Rhett choose the QBs we go after, then clean out the offices right this second. And that's not a shot at Rhett. I wouldn't want Gus letting Kendal Briles or any other assistant choose his QB for him. And I'm not saying that it wasn't or shouldn't have been Rhett who initially scouted Franklin. If Gus didn't base the decision to pursue the kid 100% off his own, independent assessment, then I'd be majorly concerned. I highly doubt that's the case, though. 

Also, before anybody brings up Joey Gatewood, I know that he is Rhett's recruit. But Gatewood is one of the more coveted QB recruits in the nation. He is not a 3* ATH whose only other offer was from Buffalo. I don't think Rhett "discovered" Gatewood. And I'm confident that Gus still did his own assessment of Gatewood before offering him. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If Gus is letting Rhett choose the QBs we go after, then clean out the offices right this second. And that's not a shot at Rhett. I wouldn't want Gus letting Kendal Briles or any other assistant choose his QB for him. And I'm not saying that it wasn't or shouldn't have been Rhett who initially scouted Franklin. If Gus didn't base the decision to pursue the kid 100% off his own, independent assessment, then I'd be majorly concerned. I highly doubt that's the case, though. 

Also, before anybody brings up Joey Gatewood, I know that he is Rhett's recruit. But Gatewood is one of the more coveted QB recruits in the nation. He is not a 3* ATH whose only other offer was from Buffalo. I don't think Rhett "discovered" Gatewood. And I'm confident that Gus still did his own assessment of Gatewood before offering him. 

I hear what you are saying... I just kind of got the impression that John was a bit of an impulse buy after Rhett saw him tear up the field in the one game he was at.  I honestly think Gus saw his speed, made sure it was legit, and began to salivate at what could happen with that if he could find ways to get him in the open field.

He was offered late in the process....what's to lose with a guy like that?   If he can't play QB, it appears that he's still got the athletic skills to play somewhere.  

Despite the hype I just can't believe that Gus or Rhett saw him as the answer to our QB problems... likely there was nobody else waiting in the wings who looked like a possibility....so why not?  

I was listening to an interview on the radio here in Huntsville in which they were discussing this exact topic. I forget who the guest was, but he made the comment that in all his personal interactions with JFIII he had come away with the impression that he was a hardworking, respectful and good kid. He also mentioned that he was very close to a 4.0 student. To me, that means a great deal in terms of his character and how serious he is about achieving his goals. Especially in contrast to a lot of the other players that end up at EMCC.

One other thing that should be noted is that those documentaries are edited to present the story line the producers think will be most compelling. I have a feeling they thought painting JFIII into the role of the stereotypical highly talented, somewhat bitter backup QB that believes he should be the starter would make for a more compelling story and useful character. Reality shows thrive off friction between characters and they will do whatever it takes to create it, even if it's artificially generated. And don't forget that people ALWAYS play to the camera. You rarely see who a person really is on film unless they're unaware of the camera. I have a feeling a lot of JFIII's bravado was him playing to the camera. Especially the scenes on the sideline where, if not for the camera, he would have basically been talking to himself out loud. 

On 8/18/2016 at 10:47 AM, alexava said:

Never heard so much cussing. Even the hot advisor chic cussed. 

Pics?

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He was offered late in the process....what's to lose with a guy like that?   If he can't play QB, it appears that he's still got the athletic skills to play somewhere.  

Despite the hype I just can't believe that Gus or Rhett saw him as the answer to our QB problems... likely there was nobody else waiting in the wings who looked like a possibility....so why not?  

I was fully on board with his recruitment for that exact reason. I was all "Jason Smith 2.0!"  Then it turned out that they really were serious about him being our quarterback. I mean, the evidence at this point is pretty compelling to me. And there still seems to be a very real possibility that he could be. 

I dunno. I really do hope the kid finds the field one way or the other. I think almost all of us agree about that.

Oh, and regarding the OP... I couldn't give less of a crap about how some reality show paints him. As others have said, the producers of these things have a job to do. Ironically enough, it has little to do with "reality". Hearing that he's a good student and that he's worked his tail off in the offseason speaks much more loudly. 

Archived