Questions & thoughts for new format

ellitor

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Go to your unread  content page. There's a link to that page on the upper right hand side of most pages. On your unread content page there will be a list of threads you have not visited or had new posts since your last visit. To the immediate left of each thread title is an orange circle or star. Click on it & it will take you to the last unread post.

Oh, that's the ticket. That works anywhere, so if you browse the forum, any thread that has a new post (and thus the orange circle) you can click that circle and it will take you to the last post you read.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

So where is the ‘go to the first unread post’ button?

It's the orange circe (or star if you have posted in the thread) beside the thread title if you are in the forum. Haven't found where that might be possible to do from the actual post itself though.

2 minutes ago, jared52 said:

It's the orange circe (or star if you have posted in the thread) beside the thread title if you are in the forum. Haven't found where that might be possible to do from the actual post itself though.

There's no need to. You hear an alert ding when there is a new post in a thread you are in.

Just now, ellitor said:

There's no need to. You hear an alert ding when there is a new post in a thread you are in.

Yeah, but if you go into a thread by clicking on the thread title (such as from within an email notification), to get to the first unread post, you have to go back to the topic listing and click the circle.

15 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Yeah, but if you go into a thread by clicking on the thread title (such as from within an email notification), to get to the first unread post, you have to go back to the topic listing and click the circle.

Just 1 more reason I opted out of email notifications completely. They are pointless junk mail TBH. The best thing to do is go to the forums or unread content pages & click the orange circles or stars by the thread titles....And the last time I clicked on a thread title to go to a thread was at least 3 years ago.

Is it possible to either raise or remove the cap on likes?

@RunInRed My last request I think. I have never gotten an email from AUF & don't want to start now. I was flooded with them starting yesterday and am still getting them today no matter what I do in notification settings. I see 1 big issue.

In notification settings the way it is now I get an email every time someone posts in a thread I follow & says toggling disabled by administrator not allowing me to take that off email. I think I have found a way to override that by going to every thread I post in by click following & change it from "an email every time something new is posted" to "do not send me any notifications". It will be very tedious to have to go through new threads I have posted in each day to make that change. If everyone elses is the same way I am sure it will be tedious for them to. So can it be changed in the notification settings to where a user can turn of email alerts for every time a new post is made in a followed thread? TIA

I think its way premature to bombard RuninRed with requests here.  He just made the change, why not give it some time to get all the kinks ironed out before requesting a bunch of changes?   Those "changes" are likely to come in the form of tweaks to settings, etc that will take time to discover.  I am sure he's still working through some issues.

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

I think its way premature to bombard RuninRed with requests here.  He just made the change, why not give it some time to get all the kinks ironed out before requesting a bunch of changes?   Those "changes" are likely to come in the form of tweaks to settings, etc that will take time to discover.  I am sure he's still working through some issues.

I know but RIR said let him know of things needed in terms of changes. I'm just letting him know for information purposes so he will have it. I'm not expecting or demanding fast resolutions.

If it were me I would want to knows about the bugs so I don't miss any.

Excited to play around with the new site. Great job.

One question though - I had the old site set up with the old AE colors (blue background, orange font). Does that option still exist? Or is this a subtle way to say "its been long enough, assimilate already?"

Is anyone else having problem navigating the forum thread?

If I click on a previous page, the form goes into a "loading" mode and will stay there indefinitely, until I hit the reload symbol on my browser.  The page will then come up.  I use Chrome as my browser.

This is really cumbersome and time consuming.  

42 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If I click on a previous page, the form goes into a "loading" mode and will stay there indefinitely, until I hit the reload symbol on my browser.  The page will then come up.  I use Chrome as my browser.

People may want to list the browser they are using or mobile with their questions so it can be pin pointed when RIR's crew has time to get around to it. Just a thought.

On 7/8/2016 at 1:29 PM, ellitor said:

Go to your unread  content page. There's a link to that page on the upper right hand side of most pages. On your unread content page there will be a list of threads you have not visited or had new posts since your last visit. To the immediate left of each thread title is an orange circle or star. Click on it & it will take you to the last unread post.

Awesome!  Works great and thanks for the tip E!

On 7/8/2016 at 0:17 PM, Tiger said:

This looks really clean now. Previously on mobile, when signed in, if I clicked on a thread it would take me directly to the last post that I read (a very helpful feature on threads with many pages). It seems like that feature is lost, is there a way to bring that back? It is hard to remember what page and what post you last read within a long thread, especially if you are visiting a thread the next day. Not trying to be disrespectful or anything, just curious.

As others have noted, use the Circle/Star icon next to the topic title to go to the last post.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yes, this is a known issue ... at the top of the priority list ... working to resolve.

3 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Yes, this is a known issue ... at the top of the priority list ... working to resolve.

Thanks!

I thought it was me.  Chrome has been somewhat unstable on Windows 7.

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Looks like you've changed the like button to an up or down vote. That's going to be interesting. :D

I suggest users don't abuse it ... ;) 

7 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Looks like you've changed the like button to an up or down vote. That's going to be interesting. :D

Too late. 

Changed to up vote "Like" only ... we're not gonna go there.  

If you have a negative reputation number, shoot me a PM and I'll get it corrected.

7 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Changed to up vote "Like" only ... we're not gonna go there.  

If you have a negative reputation number, shoot me a PM and I'll get it corrected.

So you took away the down vote option already? Just trying to keep up.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So you took away the down vote option already? Just trying to keep up.

Yes ... seems like a source of unnecessary drama.  If you don't like what some one post, you can reply and tell them why :)

On another note, can you test the search function you mentioned earlier now that the posts are all rebuilt?

Archived