2017 4* S Devon Hunter

ellitor

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

just humor me here not that it matters now BUT in your opinion do you think if crime dawg was still on staff that he could close on hunter and it would be the big fish he finally would land?

I think DH moved up his commitment to Christmas Eve to commit to AU. Obviously that changed when CWM left.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think DH moved up his commitment to Christmas Eve to commit to AU. Obviously that changed when CWM left.

wow. I thought he moved it back so he could give au more looks. this makes me ill! haha

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

wow. I thought he moved it back so he could give au more looks. this makes me ill! haha

He then moved it back to give AU & Florida another look. Va Tech may be the favorite now but AU is prowling and could pounce with a good DB hire.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He then moved it back to give AU & Florida another look. Va Tech may be the favorite now but AU is prowling and could pounce with a good DB hire.

the problem is IDK who that could be. Gus suprised us in a real good way last year though with crime dawg. I trust him way more with defensive hires than offense!

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

the problem is IDK who that could be. Gus suprised us in a real good way last year though with crime dawg. I trust him way more with defensive hires than offense!

CKS will be making this hire. Gus already had CWM lined up even before CKS was hired.

And us not knowing who it could be is not a problem. The coaches will know and will have the hire made before the dead period ends on January 13th.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

hope he is getting in Solomons ear as well!!! BOOOOM! WAR DAMN MOULTRY!

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

After tonight, maybe others will see our desperate need for safeties. I sure hope Devon does

Or perhaps our need for some new coaches. ?

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Or perhaps our need for some new coaches. ?

both would be nice.

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Last night was game planning and lack of adjustments.

Which is the story of Malzahn as a coach. Maybe DH will somehow get tricked into choosing AU though, lol.

21 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Last night was game planning and lack of adjustments.

Lack of a QB has nothing to do with it?

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Lack of a QB has nothing to do with it?

Of course lack of a QB had an effect. With at least a semi-healthy SW as we saw in 1st drive enough passing to keep D honest and we could move the ball against OU. Once SW was hurt we had no answer on O as neither of the other QB's were effective.

I was actually talking about on the D side of the ball. 

On the D side we basically ran a 4-2-5 with LB's inside DE's giving DE's responsibility for the edge. We were being burnt by quick pitches and quick passes to RB on the outside or on a wheel route. Lawson has a beautiful Inside swim move which allows him to beat the OT however the OC at OU used this against him.  They had done a great job of scouting us and taking advantage of our tendencies. Having a QB who refused to be sacked added to our dilemma.

I expected Defensive adjustments to force them to beat us in a different way possibly going to a more traditional 4-3-4 alignment with outside LB's outside of De's in a better position to stop quick outside runs and quick swing passes.  I realize that this may not have solved the issue as OU has a variety of weapons but if something is working against you over and over you have to try something.  I saw no real adjustments on defensive side of the ball.

We are not getting this thread derailed by QB or Sugar Bowl talk that does not relate to Devon Hunter. Get back to Hunter folks.

Sorry my fault for derailing. Getting back to Hunter I am hoping having so many teammates pushing Auburn will help but I believe what is needed is closure on new DB coach.

From AU 247

SAN ANTONIO - What does 4-star safety target Devon Hunter of Chesapeake (Va.) Indian River like most about Auburn?

Well, one thing that stands out is "their pride for their school," Hunter told AuburnUndercover.com at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

The 6-feet-1, 205-pound Hunter, the No. 45 overall recruit in the 247Sports Composite, is one of Auburn's biggest targets. And not that long ago he appeared poised to land with the Tigers.

But the departure of secondary coach Wesley McGriff, who is headed to Ole Miss to be defensive coordinator, has shaken things up.

"It's huge," Hunter said. "I have a great relationship with him. ... It made a big impact."

Today, Virginia Tech probably is the team to beat. But Auburn remains in the picture.

"They're still high on my list, even without him," Hunter said. "You can't pick a school over a coach. The school is still great for me."

Sure hope we get this guy.  I think he's the most important DB recruit in several years.  I think he has the ability to help take our pass defense to another level.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No. Bet the kid goes to Ole Miss. Was a silent to AU and McGriff. AU is out of it now. 

Well that's a crappy way to start the week.

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No. Bet the kid goes to Ole Miss. Was a silent to AU and McGriff. AU is out of it now. 

Man, if it plays out this way this really sucks. Two really good players at a position of major need we lose to Louisville and Ole Miss!? SMH....

Archived