2017 4* S Devon Hunter

ellitor

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Man, if it plays out this way this really sucks. Two really good players at a position of major need we lose to Louisville and Ole Miss!? SMH....

yup. Crime dawg was about to flex his muscles on the recruiting trail like he did at ole miss when he got treadwell and others. Ole Miss inability to hire a actual legit DC cost us here. No one wants to coach there that is worth a dang. They had to hire a position coach to be DC when freeze is under the gun. No way crime dawg was anywhere close to  the top of his list. No one else would come. They really overpaid for him also. I think he is making over a mill as dc. Something only the upper echelon coordinators get. Good for him though. Great opportunity.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

yup. Crime dawg was about to flex his muscles on the recruiting trail like he did at ole miss when he got treadwell and others. Ole Miss inability to hire a actual legit DC cost us here. No one wants to coach there that is worth a dang. They had to hire a position coach to be DC when freeze is under the gun. No way crime dawg was anywhere close to  the top of his list. No one else would come. They really overpaid for him also. I think he is making over a mill as dc. Something only the upper echelon coordinators get. Good for him though. Great opportunity.

Why do you say this? I think McGriff is doing to be a good one. 

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He may very well be good but all AU outlets said CWM was not in the top 3 or 4 of the Rebs list. Chiz & Strong were higher. I can't remember who else they whiffed on before they pressed CWM.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He may be a good one but he had never been a dc before at anywhere remotely close to a big time school. thats why. Ole miss was desperate.

He was definitely in their Top 3 or 4. I wouldn't say they were desperate. McGriff was a guy that left for personal reasons, and he was beloved by that staff. They were always mindful of ways to bring him back to Oxford.

6 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

He was definitely in their Top 3 or 4. I wouldn't say they were desperate. McGriff was a guy that left for personal reasons, and he was beloved by that staff. They were always mindful of ways to bring him back to Oxford.

personal reasons? pretty sure he left only because he got a huge pay bump and a opportunity to be a sec dc. No one else was giving him that shot.

37 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

He was definitely in their Top 3 or 4.

Not per AU Rivals & AU 247. And I could have sworn you heavily implied it also elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

personal reasons? pretty sure he left only because he got a huge pay bump and a opportunity to be a sec dc. No one else was giving him that shot.

He was talking about why he left the Rebs the first time not AU this time. And yes there were personal reasons. It just worked out the Saints wanted him.

E, the numbers matter. He was definitely in their top 3 or 4. And you are 100% correct on the above.

29 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

E, the numbers matter. He was definitely in their top 3 or 4. And you are 100% correct on the above.

I got ya.

This makes me absolutely sick to think that we could have landed CJ Avery & Devon Hunter had McGriff stayed. We haven't had a great safety since Rosegreen in '04. As Bigbird has mentioned, we're really going to be hurting after Ruffin, Roberts, & Matthews graduates next year.

Now that we have a DB coach is there any chance we can pull Hunter in or is the consensus is he is gone?

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Now that we have a DB coach is there any chance we can pull Hunter in or is the consensus is he is gone?

He plans to announce January 20th, but says he might visit AU during the big recruiting weekend which would potentially be a major factor in his recruitment. VT is the easy pick. 

6 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I think with Brown teaching the guys we have, we will get some good ones next class, don't underestimate Thomas and the Guys committed. CWM sure thought they had SEC talent. 

Its not that were underestimating their talent. Boston, Character, and Thomas are going to be good. The issue is we have 3 safeties on the field most of the time on defense. After next year, we only have Boston, Character, and Thomas as safeties on the roster. There is no depth being built behind them. 

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Its not that were underestimating their talent. Boston, Character, and Thomas are going to be good. The issue is we have 3 safeties on the field most of the time on defense. After next year, we only have Boston, Character, and Thomas as safeties on the roster. There is no depth being built behind them. 

Sadly, this is the classic Gus recruiting issue... At least he TRIED to back-fill, but he needs to get better at back-up plans when he can't close the deal.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Sadly, this is the classic Gus recruiting issue... At least he TRIED to back-fill, but he needs to get better at back-up plans when he can't close the deal.

The recruiting coordinator is responsible for that too

True, but I can't talk trash about our best coach...

TWill isn't our recruiting coordinator...

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Well the plan is still 3 safeties in this class. I'm not sure if that's enough for Bird or not.

Just now, ellitor said:

Well the plan is still 3 safeties in this class. I'm not sure if that's enough for Bird or not.

I think that's like 3 linebackers being enough for Mikey.

I'll let that one slide since you favor the defensive side of the ball. ;)

There's another?

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

3 would be fine...we're at 2 with Peters and Gonzalez, but I think both end up at corner. Peters could be a fine safety, but his length would be a real asset at corner.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'll let that one slide since you favor the defensive side of the ball. ;)

He's right. Even though CRG has the title of recruiting coordinator it's actually Patrick Suddes. Giving the title to an on field coach is just a way to give a pay bump.

Archived