Alabama and Auburn recruting

aufan175

Bama fans seem to think they have a better class than auburn. Im trying tell them the only reason there ahead of us in the recruiting rankings because they have like 30 commitments compraed to our 19.

Also, someone on BOL keeps upgrading the number of stars their commits have. In other words, when a two ** athlete commits to bammer, for some reason he is usually upgraded to a three*** in no time. Mike Ford would be the prime example. He committed as a three *** but is now a four *. These team rankings mean absolutely nothing but are fun to follow.

Don't you know, theirs is always bigger and better! They are Bama! According to them, they have beat AU in recruiting for the past 10 years. But it has not translated to wins on the field.

Well, it depends on which service you think is more accurate. Scout is really undervaluing some of our guys right now. For instance, they have us with only 3 ****'s, Rivals says we have 6 of them. That makes a difference.

But even so, the average star rating for Bama's class according to Scout is 2.85. Ours is 3.25. It stands to reason that if we could sign as many as they are, we'd rank ahead of them, but the services give points not only for quality but quantity.

Rivals has us them with an average star rating of 3.03 and us with 3.35. But again, Bama has 29 on their board as of early this morning and we have 17.

And we still haven't heard from Trott or A. Smith. Suffice it to say if both of those swing our way, our average rating goes up even more and we'll probably pass them. It just depends on the formula the particular service uses to determine overall classes.

Look, bammer and Auburn both have good looking classes. Frankly Bama should be getting some good players because they have so many slots to fill after three years of scholly losses and the injuries they've had. If they didn't, Shula wouldn't make it to spring practice. Auburn didn't lose a ton to graduation and has established starters at several positions so we don't have as many chances for a freshman to come in and make immediate impact as they do.

We had 3 guys get downgraded today on Rivals. I dont understand why some think that we get boosts in star rankings just because they sign with bama.

We started Recruiting Upchurch when he was a 2 star. And he is now a 4 star with a #8 RB in the nation ranking...he hasnt picked us, and probably wont...but its a good indicator that our staff gets to these guys a step ahead of the recruiting services.

well aufan175, you know the bammers are not exactly the most intelligent group of people.  therefore their math may be a little off from time to time.

140088[/snapback]

Everybody thinks their school has a better recruiting season than their arch-rivals. Bama does. Y'all do. However, the most intelligent group of people should know that it doesn't matter where your recruiting class is ranked. It matters how they play once you get 'em on the field.

Forrest Davis is/was the world's worst about that and there is NO disputing that. I don't even know if he puts anything out any more. He lost a ton of credibility in the recruiting world when he consistently and blatantly would overrate guys that either committed to or were Bama leans.

Back when he was putting out his recruiting rag, uh, mag, I was always debating a good buddy that's a huge Bama fan, about Davis pumping up Bama recruits. He's also a stat geek, kind of like our very own Stat. I had him go back and check all of Davis' ratings for a while of Bama commitments or strong leans. He did so and even he had to go :huh:

well aufan175, you know the bammers are not exactly the most intelligent group of people.  therefore their math may be a little off from time to time.

140088[/snapback]

Everybody thinks their school has a better recruiting season than their arch-rivals. Bama does. Y'all do. However, the most intelligent group of people should know that it doesn't matter where your recruiting class is ranked. It matters how they play once you get 'em on the field.

140109[/snapback]

And, how they're Coached.......Coaching has The Biggest effect on these young players coming in from HS/JC........Coach Tubbs has shown he can coach, now Hula on the other hand.....It remains to be seen........Hula helps out with, or is, the QB Coach, and we All saw how well Gilligan and Pennhead where prepared. Again, it ALL boils down to Coaching.

It is REAL simple. uaters buy recruiting mags because they may get a warm fuzzy feeling about themselves by doing so.

The folks that put out the recruiting garbage know this and try to make uat "look" as good as possible.

p.s. Easy to sign a kid that has NO chance of ever getting into school. uat is getting very good at it! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you want a good reason why Auburn folks think that players are upgraded when they commit to bama.

Ali Sherrief.

When Ali Sherrief was an Auburn commit, he was listed in Rivals and the B'ham news as 5'8". This was after his Auburn camp. However, when he was let go and committed to bama - he was suddenly made 5'10" - by both rivals and the b'ham news.

I'd love to hear an explanation for that . .

publication executives have learned that the bammerboobs will buy their stuff if it has subject matter that allows the bammerboobs to elevate their self-esteem up to a level that is slightly above a sponge....they love to hear things and believe all things at bammer are good.....if there were a full-scale riot on their crappy campus,they would report it as just a minor altercation between family members....one good thing about bammerboobs, they provide some damn fine entertainment

And, how they're Coached.......Coaching has The Biggest effect on these young players coming in from HS/JC........Coach Tubbs has shown he can coach, now Hula on the other hand.....It remains to be seen........Hula helps out with, or is, the QB Coach, and we All saw how well Gilligan and Pennhead where prepared.  Again, it ALL boils down to Coaching.

140121[/snapback]

While it is true that it remains to be proven that Shula can coach (I think he can, but what do I know? I'm jist a iggernunt bammer.:D), he evidently knows something about recruiting. Mamas and Daddys seem to like him, and many times, that's half the battle.

As far as Coach Tuberville's coaching expertise, I don't doubt that he's a good coach. Whether he's great or not remains to be seen. Until this year, he was averaging 7 wins a season as a head coach. This year, he had Chizik, Borges, Caddy, and Brown. Plus Jason Campbell came into his own (under Borges' tutelage). It all fell into place. A good coach surrounds himself with good assistants. Coach Bryant did it throughout his career, and Tuberville seems to have done it also.

you want a good reason why Auburn folks think that players are upgraded when they commit to bama.

Ali Sherrief.

When Ali Sherrief was an Auburn commit, he was listed in Rivals and the B'ham news as 5'8".  This was after his Auburn camp.  However, when he was let go and committed to bama - he was suddenly made 5'10" - by both rivals and the b'ham news.

I'd love to hear an explanation for that . .

140154[/snapback]

They might have adjusted his height...but his ranking sure didnt increase.

mamas usually like me, and i cuss all the time. i don't think that has anything to do with it. plus, i'm pretty sure he holds that in while in the living room.

i'll tell you the reason i think auburn has the better class. our guys are being signed to fill specific roles. most of them won't be asked (or expected) to contribute next year (or even the year after that). so i'll take our guys with time to grow over bama's who are going to be thrown in the fire asap. i know that has more to do with talent on hand and depth, but all that has to be taken into account when you talk about recruiting.

140088[/snapback]

140109[/snapback]

Wow, an intelligent bammer :D:D

(just messing with ya CP)

Bama fans seem to think they have a better class than auburn. Im trying tell them the only reason there ahead of us in the recruiting rankings because they have like 30 commitments compraed to our 19.

140085[/snapback]

Eh? Who knows. What matters is how they play on the field. You could have 40 commitments and none of them be worth a crap. They all have to qualify and then work their way up the depth chart. In some cases quality is better than quantity, but on the other had quantity is good for bama. Lack of depth. Ranking a recruting class is a load of crap anyway.

Eh? Who knows. What matters is how they play on the field. You could have 40 commitments and none of them be worth a crap. <<

Well, glad to see a realistic look at the uat signees ! ! :lol::lol:

but BG - why adjust his height?

140385[/snapback]

Every school plays with the height and weight of their players. Just like they inflate the attendance of smaller sports.

but BG - why adjust his height?

140385[/snapback]

Every school plays with the height and weight of their players. Just like they inflate the attendance of smaller sports.

140402[/snapback]

"smaller sports"....Like "football" at uat? :big:

Streyder - this isn't teams - this is media - this is a major recruiting network and one of the most significant newspapers in the state of Alabama.

I expect this from schools - I shouldn't (but unforutenately do) expect this from the "unbiased" media

"UNBIASED"......Kinda' like asking the Fox "Where is the HEN?" :D

Archived