Big Green Egg

RunInRed

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good friend of mine has one and uses it several times a week.  Works extremely well, though a bit too pricey for me.

9 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Yeah, it's certainly not a cheap investment but as I said, it's been on my want list for awhile ...

I love mine, Red. I'll send you a PM later tonight.

12 hours ago, alexava said:

no need to pm. im curious too. i would probably check the cheaper clones, knockoffs.

Here you go: 

I've had my big green egg for two years. It's an investment, but once you see how versatile it is, I think you'll appreciate why you made a good decision. You can fire it up to 700-800 degrees and sear a steak. Or you can smoke a butt for 12 hours with little effort. I've cooked pizzas on mine that are fantastic. I've also slow cooked some chili that came out really well. The temperature is easy to adjust and holds true. That's the real advantage of a ceramic cooker. They hold heat extremely well. As a result, they also conserve charcoal. I usually put new charcoal in every other time that I use it. You use natural charcoal, which gives everything a good smokey flavor. They are easy to clean and maintain. I do recommend a cover for one if you don't plan on having it under a roof. 

As far as size goes, I would recommend getting a large. The medium is a strange size that doesn't fit a need IMO, and the small is good if its just you or two people. On my large I can cook 5 large ribeyes, three-four pork tenderloins, a dozen or so chicken thighs, etc. The only time I wish I had more room is if I'm trying to put something else on the grill like some vegetables. 

I would recommend getting a few accessories. Mainly, I highly recommend getting what's called a plate setter so that you can cook indirectly. I'd also recommend getting a "Looftlighter", which is just a high powered blow dryer that gets the coals started. If you aren't going to set it into a table, get a nest with wheels. I'd also get side tables installed. That's the downside to the BGE. The accessories are expensive, and that's where you'll end up spending money that isn't quite worth the cost, IMO. However, if you can do it, I think it's one hell of a grille. 

The other thing that I'll mention is that they are easy to maintain. Mine looks almost new after two years. If you take care of it, it will last you a very, very long time. The same cannot be said for many other grills. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. 

As to cheaper versions. The Komado Joe seems to be the biggest competition. I know that you get more for your buck as far as accessories go. The only complaint I've heard from someone who has owned both is that the KJ did not seal as well as the BGE. That's just one person's advice. Obviously, I would do your own research. 

Thanks for the feedback ...

My biggest questions to this point are on size - if you had to do it all over again, we would you get the XL?  I get that the XXL is definitely overkill for personal use but I'm torn between the L and XL.

Also, what kind of pricing did you see when you did your research?  Is this accurate?

• XL: $1,149 (egg only)
  • L: $829 (egg only)

On the accessories, curious about the electric starter vs. charcoal-style starter briquettes?

It is the only grill I will ever own. Barnacle nailed it. What makes BGE (and I assume other ceramic grill/smokers) is the ease of maintaining temps. Once you learn how to set your BGE for the desired temp it is really easy. You can put ribs (I like spares better than babybacks) on and only tap the door that controls air flow a couple of time and 4.5 hours later you open the lid and add sauce. 30 minutes later they are done. You can cook a brisket or pork shoulder for 8-10 hours and never have to add charcoal. You cannot burn meat because you always know the temp.  When you can't burn meat you will be comfortable cooking a $100 standing rib roast. Talk about GOOD!

But a homemade pizza on the BGE (I cook mine at 550 degrees) is the best thing you will ever take off of a grill. Also, there is almost nothing that can wear out, and if it does they will replace it for free. I have had a large BGE for 10 years and other than a worn out felt gasket (that is easy to replace) it is as good as new. Have you heard of a gas grill lasting that long? Over your lifetime I don't think they are as costly as much cheaper (but less versatile) grills.

If you get one we can make you an expert in no time!

7 hours ago, Grumps said:

It is the only grill I will ever own. Barnacle nailed it. What makes BGE (and I assume other ceramic grill/smokers) is the ease of maintaining temps. Once you learn how to set your BGE for the desired temp it is really easy. You can put ribs (I like spares better than babybacks) on and only tap the door that controls air flow a couple of time and 4.5 hours later you open the lid and add sauce. 30 minutes later they are done. You can cook a brisket or pork shoulder for 8-10 hours and never have to add charcoal. You cannot burn meat because you always know the temp.  When you can't burn meat you will be comfortable cooking a $100 standing rib roast. Talk about GOOD!

But a homemade pizza on the BGE (I cook mine at 550 degrees) is the best thing you will ever take off of a grill. Also, there is almost nothing that can wear out, and if it does they will replace it for free. I have had a large BGE for 10 years and other than a worn out felt gasket (that is easy to replace) it is as good as new. Have you heard of a gas grill lasting that long? Over your lifetime I don't think they are as costly as much cheaper (but less versatile) grills.

If you get one we can make you an expert in no time!

Thanks for the input Grumps ...

Any thoughts on L vs. XL?

@RunInRed as far as size, I think it depends on what you think you will use it for and for how many people you are cooking for. I love my large, but if I were consistently cooking for larger groups of 7+ I could see a need for an extra large. 

Regardless, my ideal setup would be to have another charcoal grill like a Weber or PK to go with my BGE, just to have something else to grill with if I'm smoking another meat on the BGE, for instance. 

I don't know anyone with an XL though, I'd love to hear from someone who owns one.

As for Ribs? They terrify me. I still haven't tried them yet, but I need to bite the bullet and learn how to cook them correctly. A good rib is hard to manufacture, but they are one hell of an arrow to keep in your quiver if you know how to do them right. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, RunInRed said:

Again, I agree with Barnacle. It depends on how many people you are cooking for. I have a large and a small. I use the small for burgers/steaks/chops fore just me and my wife, and for smoked baked beans/chili. I use the large when cooking for larger groups and for ribs/pizza and long cooks like pork shoulder.

I promise y'all that ribs on the BGE are EASY and the best you will have ever had. Barnacle, I will be happy to give you step by step instructions that are foolproof. Then you can tell Run how easy they are and maybe he will take the plunge!

i do a lot of grilling and smoking. i actually made a couple grills from old air compressor tanks. never even considered a BGE. unless some rich soul dies and wills me one i guess i never will. i might consider a knockoff or used one if i happen up on them. that is a lot of dough.

17 hours ago, Grumps said:

Again, I agree with Barnacle. It depends on how many people you are cooking for. I have a large and a small. I use the small for burgers/steaks/chops fore just me and my wife, and for smoked baked beans/chili. I use the large when cooking for larger groups and for ribs/pizza and long cooks like pork shoulder.

I promise y'all that ribs on the BGE are EASY and the best you will have ever had. Barnacle, I will be happy to give you step by step instructions that are foolproof. Then you can tell Run how easy they are and maybe he will take the plunge!

Please do!! I need some help haha

On 7/18/2016 at 11:26 AM, alexava said:

i do a lot of grilling and smoking. i actually made a couple grills from old air compressor tanks. never even considered a BGE. unless some rich soul dies and wills me one i guess i never will. i might consider a knockoff or used one if i happen up on them. that is a lot of dough.

We definitely need pics of this!

On 7/14/2016 at 9:44 PM, RunInRed said:

We have a Large, and I think there is a reason it is their most popular size. The only thing it feels small for is when I grill ribs. They make a stand, where you can stand the ribs vertically (and thereby remove the space constraint), but I prefer to cook them directly on the grill. We easily have room for 10 good-sized burgers and a few pieces of boudin at once. Coincidentally, I just saw that Sam's has the large for $948, which isn't a bad price.

As far as stands, we had the standard nest for years before transitioning to the big table/stand. The nest worked well enough for us, but my brother-in-law's BGE got knocked over when his kids were playing and cracked the dome. It obviously depends on how/where you'd be using it, but for reasons of durability, as well as prep space, I'm a fan of the table stand.

I promise you won't regret buying a BGE. It really does make grilling easy.

12 hours ago, Barnacle said:

@RunInRed you end up snagging one?

Not yet ... the more I research, the more the project grows.  I'm thinking of doing a mini outdoor kitchen with egg, gas grill, small bar, etc. all built in. :big:

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Not yet ... the more I research, the more project grows.  I'm thinking of doing a mini outdoor kitchen with egg, gas grill, small bar, etc. all built in. :big:

Do this you will not regret it................

My wife bought me a Ducane 5 burner stainless steel gas grill from Home Depot (retail for about $1,000) almost a decade ago.  It still works pretty well.  It would be perfect still if not for someone stealing the grates and burner covers out of it when we moved to Nashville.  I had left in Auburn to come back to get, it is quite heavy and i had no where to keep it at the apartment complex in Franklin, TN.  Anyway, just to say there are some really good stainless steel grilles and I've heard great things about the BGE.  

I have plans for an outdoor kitchen with both grill and smoker, if I can just get the wife to let me dip into the home equity to do it.  I've got a whole backyard makeover plan that is "Yard Crashers" level epic, complete with pool with waterfall, hot tub, outdoor lounge area (under upper level deck) with built retractable coffee/eating table in the middle and outdoor TV.  

If you can go with a dual grill, natural gas on one side and charcoal on the other.  Natural gas is great and often runs cheaper in the long run and you don't have to go getting bottles refilled or replaced.  I'm a DIYer and aspiring contractor/remodeler, stuck in a traditional job trying to figure out how to get to my dream job. 

19 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Not yet ... the more I research, the more the project grows.  I'm thinking of doing a mini outdoor kitchen with egg, gas grill, small bar, etc. all built in. :big:

My man. Pictures please!

BGE is the only way to go. Have had one for 15 years and just bought another for the coast. It will turn a bad cook into a good cook. A good cook into a great cook. Worth every penny + over the years will pay for itself in money saved on charcoal if you cook often. Unbelievable how much you cook on one bag of charcoal.

Archived