Note on Auburn's pass offense (1st down)

StatTiger

Last season Auburn finished No. 5 nationally in completion percentage on 1st down.

Stats don't lie but they are certainly deceptive when you break them down.

Auburn was No. 33 nationally in pass-efficiency on 1st down. Once again, AU's completion's percentage skews their efficiency.

In terms of production, Auburn was 65th nationally in generating 1st downs with a 1st down pass attempt. (Now the real story develops)

Auburn was 103rd nationally in generating an impact play (15+ yds) passing on 1st down.

Auburn was 58th nationally in yards per attempt on 1st down and 103rd nationally in yards per completion.

Jeremy Johnson completed 79% of his 1st down passes to Sean White's 73% last season. However, 37.8% of Sean White's 1st down passes resulted in a 1st down, compared to JJ's 22.9%. (I would take another 1st down over a mere completion.)

Sean White's 37.8% was No.8 nationally.

what percent were completed behind d the LOS ?

Stats don't lie but they sure can mislead.

The high completion percentage sounds like the timing of calling pass plays was good, but the horrible yards per completion says we dialed up too many high percentage plays, behind or within 7 yards of the LOS I would imagine. I just don't remember us pushing the ball deep down the field much at all last season compared to before with Gus. Bring back the vertical game, coach.

Archived