2017 5* ATH JaCoby Stevens (LSU 8/8/16)

ellitor

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Any chance other than two chances?

Yes. Even though he is expected to commit soon it now appears up in the air who he will pick. AU, UGA, LSU, Bama, Clemson, & Vols all involved.

I know he is an athlete and his profile says WR or CB.  Which do we prefer him at and does he have a preference?

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I know he is an athlete and his profile says WR or CB.  Which do we prefer him at and does he have a preference?

He seems to have no preference. AU likes to put its best players on offense& CRL is the lead recruiter so I'm guessing offense...However Coach Steele was his lead recruiter when he committed to LSU a while back so IDK.

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Man alive. I hope we get this guy. However, not a single crystal ball for us. Looks like wishful thinking.

If he shows up to the picnic next weekend it will probably be at least a bit more than wishful thinking.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If he shows up to the picnic next weekend it will probably be at least a bit more than wishful thinking.

Well... Here's to hoping.:beer2:

After watching the highlights, I'm not sure which side of the ball I would rather have him on; he always seemed to find a way to catch the ball as a receiver, but as a CB he always had his eyes in the right place, and made some nice plays. 

1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

After watching the highlights, I'm not sure which side of the ball I would rather have him on; he always seemed to find a way to catch the ball as a receiver, but as a CB he always had his eyes in the right place, and made some nice plays. 

Agree. Really talented kid. My choice would be on the defensive side of the ball just cause I thought he looked even better there than on offense.

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Agree. Really talented kid. My choice would be on the defensive side of the ball just cause I thought he looked even better there than on offense.

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well.

Throw this guy in with Cam Akers, and Will Ignont. I am very very cautiously optimistic about these 3. I think WI is our best shot, however, out of the 3. Landing any 2 would be huge for the good guys.

8 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

Throw this guy in with Cam Akers, and Will Ignont. I am very very cautiously optimistic about these 3. I think WI is our best shot, however, out of the 3. Landing any 2 would be huge for the good guys.

I would be surprised at this point if we get Akers. I get the impression he has cooled on AU a bit relative to teams like tOSU.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I would be surprised at this point if we get Akers. I get the impression he has cooled on AU a bit relative to teams like tOSU.

Unfortunately that is the impression I have been getting from the interwebs.

I can't remember the site, but a recent interview quoted JS as saying AU was offering the chance to play both ways. Anyone else read this, and can you please give the link if you have! Sorry I can't give a link moderators.

57 minutes ago, toddc said:

I can't remember the site, but a recent interview quoted JS as saying AU was offering the chance to play both ways. Anyone else read this, and can you please give the link if you have! Sorry I can't give a link moderators.

He has said it more than once. I'm not going to look for a link though.

Thanks E! I was wondering more about what our coaches were saying, if anything, rather than the recruit though!

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Thanks E! I was wondering more about what our coaches were saying, if anything, rather than the recruit though!

Coaches can't say anything other than to the prospects til they sign, and what they are saying from his words is we like him at WR & DB. I haven't seen anything more than that or a lean from our staff on 1 side or the other.

Thanks for setting me straight. I forgot coaches could not speak about these things with respect to recruits publicly!

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Thanks for setting me straight. I forgot coaches could not speak about these things with respect to recruits publicly!

As it is, you prompted me to do research. It's from n UGA site 2 days ago but I believe this is what you were looking for. Link

The issues are multi-fold and yet based on entrenched recruiting relationships. Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee has been recruiting Stevens since he was a freshman. When he committed to LSU back in September, Lashlee asked his parents if it would be okay if he could still keep recruiting him. That impressed the family.

Auburn has gained a lot of ground with Stevens by pitching him as a multi-purpose athlete. He likens his ideal situation to the one Adoree’ Jackson has established at USC.

“People are trying to list me as a safety but I consider myself as an athlete,” Stevens said. “I can play both sides of the ball. I can play special teams and help my team win the entire game. Just give me a chance to contribute the whole game. Auburn is doing a good job of selling me that I can play both sides of the ball and show off my versatility. When people ask me what position I play, I just say athlete because I don’t think I actually fit into one specific position grouping. Auburn is selling me hard about playing on both sides of the ball and using my versatility as an athlete.”

“I would just tell the schools right now to give me an opportunity to be great on both sides of the ball,” Stevens said. “You won’t regret it. That’s the same thing I tell my high school coach right now.”

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When was the last time Auburn had someone who actually played both ways as a standard?

When was the last time anyone did except for Adoree Jackson at USC I guess?

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

When was the last time anyone did except for Adoree Jackson at USC I guess?

Myles Jack played RB and LB on a consistent basis...didn't really work out well for him.

Archived