2017 5* ATH JaCoby Stevens (LSU 8/8/16)

ellitor

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bama gonna have a great month of recruiting from what I hear. Possibly best class ever for  Saban. Our inexperienced and new addition coaches are going to have to step it up or else LSU, Georgia, and Bama are going to mop up the blue chip recruits.

Thanks Gus for running off Craig. The reason I'm concerned about another 2012 is because it seemed like our coaching staff got a major downgrade (which was definitely the case with Loeffler).

That being said, in early-mid June we were hearing that an awful week was coming for our recruiting.

Wow. Reality check: recruiting has not been this strong in the history of our program. We've gone to 2 natties in 5 years. We've had 2 Heisman finalists and 1 winner. Take it easy on the staff.

58 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Thanks Gus for running off Craig. The reason I'm concerned about another 2012 is because it seemed like our coaching staff got a major downgrade (which was definitely the case with Loeffler).

That being said, in early-mid June we were hearing that an awful week was coming for our recruiting.

It did concern me and still rubs me raw that Craig went to LSU.  He has been too much of an asset to our recruiting efforts to feel any other way when he walks to a SECw rival.

5 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Wow. Reality check: recruiting has not been this strong in the history of our program. We've gone to 2 natties in 5 years. We've had 2 Heisman finalists and 1 winner. Take it easy on the staff.

Hell no. I'm not taking it easy on the staff. We have to start winning against the rivals again ( might as well throw in the Mississippi schools and Arkansas as well) before I take it easy on them. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Thanks Gus for running off Craig.

Will you please stop spewing this inaccurate crap?!?!?!?! I am sick & tired of reading it!!!! Gus & CDC both needed to part ways & both made mistakes that probably could have been  handled differently. Gus did not run CDC off though for the trillionth time.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Bama gonna have a great month of recruiting from what I hear. Possibly best class ever for  Saban. Our inexperienced and new addition coaches are going to have to step it up or else LSU, Georgia, and Bama are going to mop up the blue chip recruits.

You need to stay off Your bama sights, I think our inexperienced and new addition coaches are going to do just fine. Jacoby has had nothing but good things to say about us , and if you think that E is correct, then I think you are wrong. 

21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hell no. I'm not taking it easy on the staff. We have to start winning against the rivals again ( might as well throw in the Mississippi schools and Arkansas as well) before I take it easy on them. 

Development wise you are correct. Recruiting wise though WttE is correct. This is the strongest recruiting run AU has made in a very long time. AU is 1 of only 3 teams the past 5 years to have top 11 classes each year. Bama & tOSU being the other 2.

6 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

You need to stay off Your bama sights, I think our inexperienced and new addition coaches are going to do just fine. Jacoby has had nothing but good things to say about us , and if you think that E is correct, then I think you are wrong. 

Recruits usually say good things about their finalists. I'm not on Bama "sights." Just passing along what I heard.

10 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

if you think that E is correct, then I think you are wrong. 

Ummmm...Sounds to me like we agreed. Do you dislike me that much to agree w/ me then say agreeing with me is wrong? lol

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Development wise you are correct. Recruiting wise though WttE is correct. This is the strongest recruiting run AU has made in a very long time. AU is 1 of only 3 teams the past 5 years to have top 11 classes each year. Bama & tOSU being the other 2.

Well then I guess our rivals develop players better than we do. Doesn't make me feel any better. Surely I don't need to show you our record against Georgia and Alabama recently, or point out that we have lost to Moo state the past two years. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Just passing along what I heard.

Yeah but that stuff is said every year. I've gotten numb to hearing that to be honest.

Aside from being one of our two HCs when we won the NC, Chizik's most positive accomplishment here was realizing that recruiting rankings mattered. So I've been happy with our recruiting rankings in recent years. But we obviously need to develop that talent.

CDC was a lousy WR coach when he coached here and a great recruiter when he wasn't coaching here. At least those seemed to be how the peanut gallery felt at the time.

43 minutes ago, gman87 said:

CDC was a lousy WR coach when he coached here and a great recruiter when he wasn't coaching here. At least those seemed to be how the peanut gallery felt at the time.

He was a greeat recruiter when he was here. He was not happy about feeling like he was not being heard & by most accounts he let that eat at him and may have lost some on field focus over time. I would not call him lousy. WRs were open often times last season.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ummmm...Sounds to me like we agreed. Do you dislike me that much to agree w/ me then say agreeing with me is wrong? lol

We found your nemesis:lmao:

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Don't just stand on the edge...Jump.

Do it. I double dog dare you. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

We found your nemesis:lmao:

And all this time I thought it was Mikey. J/K. Mikey is good people.

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

Aside from being one of our two HCs when we won the NC, Chizik's most positive accomplishment here was realizing that recruiting rankings mattered. So I've been happy with our recruiting rankings in recent years. But we obviously need to develop that talent.

Recruiting rankings can be deceiving. Did Chizik get highly ranked players? Yeah, a lot of the time he did. But they (a) didn't always pan out, and (b) didn't always fit the system that we used. I would rather have a lower ranked player who fits perfectly in the scheme than a higher ranked player who doesn't. 

A good example of this is our speed back role. A lot of the time, those type of backs aren't as highly ranked as the every-down traditional back, but for our offense to function effectively, we need both types of players. 

20 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Recruiting rankings can be deceiving. Did Chizik get highly ranked players? Yeah, a lot of the time he did. But they (a) didn't always pan out, and (b) didn't always fit the system that we used. I would rather have a lower ranked player who fits perfectly in the scheme than a higher ranked player who doesn't. 

A good example of this is our speed back role. A lot of the time, those type of backs aren't as highly ranked as the every-down traditional back, but for our offense to function effectively, we need both types of players. 

Rankings aren't the end all be all by any means especially for individual players. However it has been proven time & time again they matter on a macro level. To win the SEC & national titles you have to have top 10-12 classes. Coaches and sites miss on individual evals. That's going to happen. See JJ unfortunately. However AU has been good enough each year the past 7 years in recruiting to win big & be more consistent than what we have. Where we have lacked overall is in player development & sometimes fit as you put it. Teams that are consistently pulling top 10-12 classes should be getting 9 wins minimum on a regular basis if they are developing talent even just descently well.

Seems like we had a lot of players that left the team for discipline problems under Chizik as well (Demetruce McNeal included even though I believe Malzahn was the one that kicked him off). Sometimes players just don't pan out off the field as well. Something that recruit rankings cannot predict. 

Archived