2017 3* LB Monty Rice (LSU 12/12/16)

ellitor

1 hour ago, Tigerfinz said:

Let's just take 5 linebackers. Finish with Rice and Taylor and be done with it...?

Since we only signed one LB last year, 5 this year isn't over doing it. Six in two years is just keeping up, nothing more.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tigerfinz said:

Let's just take 5 linebackers. Finish with Rice and Taylor and be done with it...?

If we actually pulled that off and kept the current commits I would consider that some of the best recruiting I've seen AU do at any position since I've been keeping up with it. Better than last years WR and some of the OL classes we've had in the last decade.

42 minutes ago, fredst said:

If we actually pulled that off and kept the current commits I would consider that some of the best recruiting I've seen AU do at any position since I've been keeping up with it. Better than last years WR and some of the OL classes we've had in the last decade.

From a ratings stand point this LB class would not equal or pass last year's WR class.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

From a ratings stand point this LB class would not equal or pass last year's WR class.

Agree but the LB's may get a lot more PT than the WR did.  

1 hour ago, lala said:

Agree but the LB's may get a lot more PT than the WR did.  

Moultry might. I don't know about the rest given how well our LBs played this year and all are back except TJ Neal who did not play much.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Meh, ratings. Given our recent history at LB, our inability to have a coherent pass game, and the quality of guys we would be getting I think the LBs are just as good and important to us- and I love that WR class.I think Wooten and Rice are underrated at 3* anyway

JMO and I think the staff may take both if they both wanted to commit but between the 2, based on film highlights only which is not fair; I would love to have Taylor over Rice. 

12 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

JMO and I think the staff may take both if they both wanted to commit but between the 2, based on film highlights only which is not fair; I would love to have Taylor over Rice. 

There are conflicting reports on that.

25 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Do both have a committable offer?

Yes. The options are 1st come, 1st serve or take both. That's what the conflicting reports are about.

Even with the improvement from the LBs this year, seems like we'd be better off with a deeper bench. To my eyes, it looked like Tre Williams and Darrell Williams were consistent and very, very good. Deshaun Davis was less consistent (in part due to wear and tear). He was great when he was on but had moments of struggle during the season. After that, Atkinson made some good progress. Other than that, we sat in Nickel as a base set for two reasons:  (1) keep Rudy on the field and (2) minimize the reps for a thin group of LBs.

Seems to me, there is plenty of opportunity for LBs, especially if they can play in coverage the way Darrell Williams did this year. He was a revelation on pass coverage. I'd also say especially if any guy has the flexibility to rush the passer from the OLB spot. That's another place that could get a true freshman on the field quickly. We need understudies. We need guys that can drop into coverage. We need guys that can rush the passer from the edge when we shift into odd fronts.

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Even with the improvement from the LBs this year, seems like we'd be better off with a deeper bench. To my eyes, it looked like Tre Williams and Darrell Williams were consistent and very, very good. Deshaun Davis was less consistent (in part due to wear and tear). He was great when he was on but had moments of struggle during the season. After that, Atkinson made some good progress. Other than that, we sat in Nickel as a base set for two reasons:  (1) keep Rudy on the field and (2) minimize the reps for a thin group of LBs.

Seems to me, there is plenty of opportunity for LBs, especially if they can play in coverage the way Darrell Williams did this year. He was a revelation on pass coverage. I'd also say especially if any guy has the flexibility to rush the passer from the OLB spot. That's another place that could get a true freshman on the field quickly. We need understudies. We need guys that can drop into coverage. We need guys that can rush the passer from the edge when we shift into odd fronts.

That's always the case at every position at every school unless the benchers are causing chemistry issues.

Yeah, I just mean that is a particularly thin position. You're right. We always want depth, but like at Safety, I can't see a path for a true freshman unless that guy is just a freak. Ruffin, Matthews, Roberts, and Daniel Thomas are going to eat up 90% of the reps, barring injury. That's just how that's going to go.

At LB, I can't say the same thing. I see two positions (including MLB) where I could barely venture a guess as to who the second string will be. Seems like LB is still a fast improving but very thin position, which usually means young guys can find the two-deep.

2 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I'll be very happy with Taylor if we land him.

Oh yea. Kid is a beast. 

AU would have taken Rice but didn't push him. Same with uat. Monty has a issue with his shoulder. Reason he didn't play in the all-star game. 

I wouldn't get too excited about this one. Probably down to LSU and UGA. Liked AU a lot but didn't like AU recruiting tactics late in the process. I'm hopeful but not too confident.

1 minute ago, AUTiger03 said:

I wouldn't get too excited about this one. Probably down to LSU and UGA. Liked AU a lot but didn't like AU recruiting tactics late in the process. I'm hopeful but not too confident.

Care to elaborate?

Archived