Bama OL Alphonse Taylor arrested

RunInRed

Alabama offensive guard Alphonse Taylor was arrested Sunday and charged with driving under the influence by the Tuscaloosa Police Department, according to the Tuscaloosa Country Sheriff's Office. Taylor's bond was set at $1,000.

Taylor was a starter at right guard along the Crimson Tide's offensive line, which won the first-ever Joe Moore Award, a last year, but the senior was given an ultimatum by head coach Nick Saban to lose some weight to be a starter again.

In the spring, Taylor was demoted to second-team right guard because of his weight, while Brandon Kennedy took valuable reps with the first-team offensive line. Taylor's weight is listed at 345 pounds -- his same weight from this spring.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Tide-OL-Alphonse-Taylor-arrested-charged-with-DUI-46285196

if he had just kept his weight down he'd be enjoying some mint chocolate chip right about now

The punishment for carrying an illegal weapon and drugs if you are a starter... Just about nothing.

The punishment for a second string O-lineman that won't lose weight and gets a DUI... Basically kicked off the team.

On 7/18/2016 at 3:30 PM, AU-24 said:

The punishment for carrying an illegal weapon and drugs if you are a starter... Just about nothing.

The punishment for a second string O-lineman that won't lose weight and gets a DUI... Basically kicked off the team.

Its part of the process.

1 hour ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

Caught with drugs and stolen gun by starters are Ok, DUI by a second stringer is bad.  Guess we know where the line is drawn. 

Yup!

On 7/18/2016 at 3:30 PM, AU-24 said:

An astute observation.

It may not be true (we don't know all the facts - and if we did may not be able to make an unbiased decision), but it certainly looks that way.

On July 17, 2016 at 3:11 PM, auburn4ever said:

I'm sure this guy will be walking free before long. Just think back to ua's Robinson.

Nah!

Gotta' get down to 85 real soon.

• 2 weeks later...

bammer reminds me of the Russian girl in the 100 breaststroke all summed up.

• 3 weeks later...

The REC doin' their work, baby!  It's all good!  It does seem weird they're gonna rule on the "leaving the scene of an accident" separately, per the Espn article.  Why not just do it at the same time?  Instead they want to wait until the car is fixed.  Say wha?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17422122/alabama-crimson-tide-ol-alphonse-taylor-found-not-guilty-dui

The articles I've read said he tested negative for alcohol.  Do they not test for other things besides alcohol?  He fails a field sobriety test and talked slowly, but I presume it had to cross their minds that perhaps its something other than alcohol that is causing such issues? 

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama/2016/08/30/alabamas-alphonse-taylor-ruled-not-guilt-july-dui/89583914/

Taylor, 22, was arrested on a  in the morning hours of July 17 after he called police to report an accident involving himself and a parked vehicle inside the Woodlands apartment complex in Tuscaloosa. Taylor was also involved in another accident in the apartment complex, leading to a leaving the scene charge.

Wait, so he hit TWO cars?  That's some mighty bad luck for a sober person.  It's all good though!!

1 hour ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

The REC doin' their work, baby!  It's all good!  It does seem weird they're gonna rule on the "leaving the scene of an accident" separately, per the Espn article.  Why not just do it at the same time?  Instead they want to wait until the car is fixed.  Say wha?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17422122/alabama-crimson-tide-ol-alphonse-taylor-found-not-guilty-dui

The articles I've read said he tested negative for alcohol.  Do they not test for other things besides alcohol?  He fails a field sobriety test and talked slowly, but I presume it had to cross their minds that perhaps its something other than alcohol that is causing such issues? 

Cops screwed this up.  He failed a field sobriety test, acted lethargic with slow speech and movement and blew negative for alcohol? Yet they arrested him for DUI?  How the hell did the cops think the charges would stick for DUI if they didn't demand a blood test to check for drugs?

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

Cops screwed this up.  He failed a field sobriety test, acted lethargic with slow speech and movement and blew negative for alcohol? Yet they arrested him for DUI?  How the hell did the cops think the charges would stick for DUI if they didn't demand a blood test to check for drugs?

Totally agreed.  You go on AL.com and the story they provide is a partial picture.  You read other sources and the picture is getting clearer about the events that led up to this and it seems funky to me.  Couple it with the kids getting off scott free in Louisiana, and a trend is starting to develop.  On the positive side, the kid has some pretty good lawyers if he can escape so much as a misdemeanor on this.  I can't believe it's not getting more press coverage than it is.   

10 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Totally agreed.  You go on AL.com and the story they provide is a partial picture.  You read other sources and the picture is getting clearer about the events that led up to this and it seems funky to me.  Couple it with the kids getting off scott free in Louisiana, and a trend is starting to develop.  On the positive side, the kid has some pretty good lawyers if he can escape so much as a misdemeanor on this.  I can't believe it's not getting more press coverage than it is.   

It wouldn't even take a good lawyer to get him off the DUI charge.  Hell, the cops screwed that one from the start if they didn't press for a blood test when he blew negative for alcohol and still failed the field test.  

Did they not consider that concussion may have been the reason he was lethargic, slow speech and so confused that the drove off from the accident?  If they had sought medical attention then the hospital would have done the blood test.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

It wouldn't even take a good lawyer to get him off the DUI charge.  Hell, the cops screwed that one from the start if they didn't press for a blood test when he blew negative for alcohol and still failed the field test.  

Did they not consider that concussion may have been the reason he was lethargic, slow speech and so confused that the drove off from the accident?  If they had sought medical attention then the hospital would have done the blood test.

It's simple.  Got his license, verified he was a player, made sure to do, or not do, whatever was necessary to keep their jobs. 

Archived