2017 3* ATH Kadarius Toney (Florida 5/4/16)

Auburn2Eugene

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Merely signing warm bodies is nothing to strive for. Might as well sign another CB or DL and hope that Gatewood is the real deal real early. 

What about signing a guy with, seemingly, a lot of talent that WANTS to be at your school? What if Gatewood's not so great after all? What if Bishop doesn't committ, or even does committ but doesn't make it as a QB at AU. Just see a lot of promise in this guy, a guy who wants to be at Auburn more than any other school. I'd take him now. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

So obvious, yet so hard for us to achieve. I am not trying to argue with you over this issue. My whole basis was to point out that we need to stop star gazing all the time and sometimes take on and mold players, who want to be here, especially players who are in our own backyard. I would hate to have another Pat White situation occur, all because we are chasing 4 and 5-star players, all who may be good individuals, but may have not ultimately worked out in AU favor, even if we could have gotten them to commit. I am not saying take any bloke off the street, but someone who has potential and a ceiling of growth?

Agreed but star gazing was not mentioned nor implied in my posts. I don't think this staff is chasing 4 & 5 star player because they are 4 & 5 star guys. The last regime maybe but I don't think so on this one. The staff may may not see a potential & ceiling of growth in KT. They have at least 6 QBs on their board higher than KT so they probably see more growth in those guys.

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

What about signing a guy with, seemingly, a lot of talent that WANTS to be at your school? What if Gatewood's not so great after all? What if Bishop doesn't committ, or even does committ but doesn't make it as a QB at AU. Just see a lot of promise in this guy, a guy who wants to be at Auburn more than any other school. I'd take him now. 

We can probably wait until Signing Day to get him then. Just like the last minute addition at safety this past class.

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Merely signing warm bodies is nothing to strive for. Might as well sign another CB or DL and hope that Gatewood is the real deal real early. 

signing warm bodies is not what the staff is intending. They see guys with potential & sign them. They just don't work out sometimes. Also since we don't have a clear QB1. We got to keep signing at least 1 QB a class & try to get them to pan out.

42 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Wonder why we won't at least accept a commitment.

We have not even offered yet.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

signing warm bodies is not what the staff is intending. They see guys with potential & sign them. They just don't work out sometimes. Also since we don't have a clear QB1. We got to keep signing at least 1 QB a class & try to get them to pan out.

I don't know the math and I may be wrong but I'd say that the farther down the QB board we have to go, the more likely the QB doesn't work out. 

We had: 

Narcisse 

Mond

N'kosi Perry

Bishop  

All ahead of Toney. Not only that, that would mean all four had turned Auburn down, the latter even opting for a position change. How the heck does that happen after our coach coached up Nick Marshall and Cam Newton and led the 2013 offense which was probably the most beautiful offense I've ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don't know the math and I may be wrong but I'd say that the farther down the QB board we have to go, the less likely the QB doesn't work out. 

We had: 

Narcisse 

Mond

N'kosi Perry

Bishop  

All ahead of Toney. Not only that, that would mean all four had turned Auburn down, the latter even opting for a position change. How the heck does that happen after our coach coached up Nick Marshall and Cam Newton and led the 2013 offense which was probably the most beautiful offense I've ever seen. 

Well as great as the 2013 O was, it wasn't the mostl aesthetically pleasing offense for a passing QB. As for how it happens til on the guys you mentioned...Narcisse loves home state LSU, Mond- Home state & Sumlin has a good QB track record before the past couple of years. Perry is a Miami boy. If we lose Bishop it will probably be because UF is selling him hard that he would guarantee start as a freshman Corner with their current corners going pro. And it would not be a big position change. Bishop has played safert as long as he has QB in high school if not longer.

There are at least 2 other names higher on the QB board than Toney too, which is why I wanted to move this thread to the Rivals section. Malik Cunningham & Jordan Stidham.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Did you read my post? I'm not worried about what the people outside of the Auburn think. I said:

"If this Toney guy was number four on the COACHES QB board, then we're not the only ones star gazing. There is a reason why he is rated so low on their board. "

I'm worried about being on the guy that the coaches thought was no better than fourth on their board. At that point, there has to be a pretty big drop off from number one to number four. 

In reality, NM would be essentially this kid in the grand scheme of things. He was only a three-star athlete. If Gus does the unthinkable and makes magic work with JF3, then it probably isn't such a bad idea to take on these drop offs.

Well as great as the 2013 O was, it wasn't the mostl aesthetically pleasing offense for a passing QB. As for how it happens til on the guys you mentioned...Narcisse loves home state LSU, Mond- Home state & Sumlin has a good QB track record before the past couple of years. Perry is a Miami boy. If we lose Bishop it will probably be because UF is selling him hard that he would guarantee start as a freshman Corner with their current corners going pro. And it would not be a big position change. Bishop has played safert as long as he has QB in high school if not longer.

There are at least 2 other names higher on the QB board than Toney too, which is why I wanted to move this thread to the Rivals section. Malik Cunningham & Jordan Stidham.

In 2013 our passing offense was spotty at best but we didn't need to air it out to make that offense look beautiful. Never had I ever seen anything like it from Texas A&M on. Seems only Gatewood was sold on playing in a Cam Newton offense though. 

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

Agreed but star gazing was not mentioned nor implied in my posts. I don't think this staff is chasing 4 & 5 star player because they are 4 & 5 star guys. The last regime maybe but I don't think so on this one. The staff may may not see a potential & ceiling of growth in KT. They have at least 6 QBs on their board higher than KT so they probably see more growth in those guys.

I'm sure that's what they're thinking, but how good are they at evaluating HS QB's?  People always say past performance is the most accurate predictor of future performance. So, who has this staff recruited and signed to play QB out of HS that has worked out in college?  Mitch Mustain for 10 games?  Who else?  I know this probably sounds like a smart a$# post, but I'm seriously asking.  Who has Malzahn/Lashlee recruited and signed out of high school that has succeeded as a QB in college?

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

ow good are they at evaluating HS QB's?

That's the $4 million question.

18 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Who has Malzahn/Lashlee recruited and signed out of high school that has succeeded as a QB in college?

Nobody yet.

On 7/20/2016 at 5:51 AM, ellitor said:

OP & title updated.

I'm tempted to put this to the Rivals recruiting section since he is committed to Florida & is not an AU major target yet. Honestly I think we would take a juco before Toney from what I am hearing.

And in that area is very well where I expected this to end up. However I looked there, and he wasn't in there either. 

And if he is an SEC QB or not, I don't know. I just thought its cool that the kid WANTS to come to AU. I'm pretty sure that's what people said about Chris Westery (or however you spell his name.) He was committed to us, then was dropped when TRob and Muschamp were brought on. A lot of people said he was too tall or didn't have the hip motion of a SEC DB. We let him go and he killed it at Kentucky. Imagine what he could of done here instead of Colbert or Irvin? My point is, he is committed to an SEC school. And he wants to come to AU. It'd be a shame if we overlooked him, in my opinion. But what do I REALLY know? I'm just a guy on the left coast who bleeds orange and blue, so I'm biased.

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And in that area is very well where I expected this to end up. However I looked there, and he wasn't in there either. 

And if he is an SEC QB or not, I don't know. I just thought its cool that the kid WANTS to come to AU. I'm pretty sure that's what people said about Chris Westery (or however you spell his name.) He was committed to us, then was dropped when TRob and Muschamp were brought on. A lot of people said he was too tall or didn't have the hip motion of a SEC DB. We let him go and he killed it at Kentucky. Imagine what he could of done here instead of Colbert or Irving? My point is, he is committed to an SEC school. And he wants to come to AU. It'd be a shame if we overlooked him, in my opinion. But what do I REALLY know? I'm just a guy on the left coast who bleeds orange and blue, so I'm biased.

I can't agree more about Westry.  The kid gets told to look elsewhere and we basically set him up with Kentucky and he is better as a True Freshman than possibly anything on our roster at that position.

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't create profile threads unless I think a recruit is a top target for AU. @RunInRed doesn't create profile threads until recruits claim an AU offer. Neither of those things have happened yet w/ Toney so that's why you did not see a thread on him.

43 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I can't agree more about Westry.  The kid gets told to look elsewhere and we basically set him up with Kentucky and he is better as a True Freshman than possibly anything on our roster at that position.

That might be stretching it a bit. Rudy took over there the last half of the year & was good. He is projected to be a top 2 or 3 round draft pick in the next draft.

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I kinda thought Westry was a "trade" for  Davis but maybe I'm confused. If so, though, I think we did alright with that one.

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

I kinda thought Westry was a "trade" for  Davis but maybe I'm confused. If so, though, I think we did alright with that one.

We picked up 3 corners late so it was not a trade per say.

On 7/20/2016 at 2:25 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

besides the fact of the matter is, committed or not, relationships or not, until a kid signs, anything can, and DOES happen.

On 7/20/2016 at 2:37 PM, ellitor said:

We have not even offered yet.

.....and....he...is committed to another SEC school....

On 7/23/2016 at 6:47 AM, ellitor said:

I don't create profile threads unless I think a recruit is a top target for AU. @RunInRed doesn't create profile threads until recruits claim an AU offer. Neither of those things have happened yet w/ Toney so that's why you did not see a thread on him.

gotcha

21 hours ago, fredst said:

Westry was NOT a trade for Davis. If he were, I wouldn't of mentioned his name. He would be an after thought...at best. however the fact remains, he outperformed Colbert and Irvin, both much higher rated kids.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

besides the fact of the matter is, committed or not, relationships or not, until a kid signs, anything can, and DOES happen.

.....and....he...is committed to another SEC school....

gotcha

Westry was NOT a trade for Davis. If he were, I wouldn't of mentioned his name. He would be an after thought...at best. however the fact remains, he outperformed Colbert and Irvin, both much higher rated kids.

I thought that the "trade" was Westry for Jeremiah Dinson. Who was doing pretty well until he got trucked by that cheap shot artist Ricky Seals-Jones.  Boy I hope someone really lights RSJ up this year... He deserves it.

40 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

I thought that the "trade" was Westry for Jeremiah Dinson. Who was doing pretty well until he got trucked by that cheap shot artist Ricky Seals-Jones.  Boy I hope someone really lights RSJ up this year... He deserves it.

There was no trade. We picked up 3 CBs after Westry was dropped, Carlton, Denson, & Javaris Davis.

There was no trade. We picked up 3 CBs after Westry was dropped, Carlton, Denson, & Javaris Davis.

Agreed. I say that because I thought Denson was committed to UK at the time he committed to AU. Then Westry ended up at UK.  

40 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I just noticed this young man is QB for Blount. Isn't that where D. Craig went to high school? 

Yes.

Archived