New Commitment

TigerDevil

BG, according to your sources you guys beat Auburn every year in recruiting and consistently finish in the top 10.

Why does this not equate to wins on the football field?

Is someone overating bammer recruits to give BG and Co. warm fuzzy's? :o

Yes I know it's shocking.

WDE!!!

140363[/snapback]

Thats not true...the only year in the last five that we beat you guys in recruiting was last year...before that it was 2000.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That QB from Hoover was indeed Mr. Football. I think we told him he could walk on. Trott is the #1 rated player in the state though, I believe.

140277[/snapback]

Are you saying Auburn told John Parker Wilson he could walk on? Is there a good reason why Auburn would not recruit Wilson, given the fact that you just lost Jason Campbell?

It seems that, when Bama lands a good recruit, we always hear from Auburn that "we didn't want him, anyway."

I read enough of this and decided to join the debate. First of all, I don't pay much attention to the recruiting wars and especially the recruiting rankings. Why? Well, first of all, a recruit ain't crap unless the coach can keep him in line and use him effectively. Secondly, all these rankings are based upon how many of the highly ranked recruits each team gets. The problem with that is this- what if the top 5 or 10 recruits play positions that I do not need filled? Do I go after them so that my ranking is high or do I go after other recruits that I need to fill my positions? They are way too many highly recruited players that either do not qualify or they don't make it past their sophomore year of college. Reason being? They got used to being pampered and took their eventual playing time for granted, thus they forget what it meant to work hard. While they were not giving it their all, that less-recruited scholarship player is beating them out because he knew he had to work harder. By no means am I saying that this happens to all major recruits, but it happens more often then not. I saw a stat some years ago about how many times a less-recruited player became a starter over a blue-chip player by the time they were seniors. It was a pretty substanial margin. I would think that since the hype over recruits is even greater these days (the nationally televised all-star game, recruits haveing press conferences on Sportscenter, etc), my bet would be that the margin has gotten even bigger.

That QB from Hoover was indeed Mr. Football. I think we told him he could walk on. Trott is the #1 rated player in the state though, I believe.

140277[/snapback]

Are you saying Auburn told John Parker Wilson he could walk on? Is there a good reason why Auburn would not recruit Wilson, given the fact that you just lost Jason Campbell?

It seems that, when Bama lands a good recruit, we always hear from Auburn that "we didn't want him, anyway."

140378[/snapback]

We are talking about the 2004 Mr. football Jarod Bryant.

Last I checked JPW signed a letter of intent feb 2004 with UAT

i also would like to ask if there is a defensive mvp and offensive mvp for the califlorida all-star game? anyone know? b/c if there isn't, i know a bama commit didn't win mvp. i KNOW antone smith won mvp of that game with 56 yards and a touchdown. just wondering if there were two awards handed out.

we are absolutley dominating the state of alabama in recruting this year. we have 6 of the top 11 players from alabama with alabama having only 3(one being chris keys, who never played a down of football in alabama).  further proof that alabama now plays second fiddle to the mighty auburn tigers.

140288[/snapback]

You're kidding right? Typical Auburn "twist the argument in our favor" type of response. For the last three years you guys said we could only survive on Alabama players...and Shula/Alabama couldnt recruit out of state. Now Shula goes out of state (18 of our 29 verbals) including the Mississippi Mr Football, Florida Mr Football, the California/Florida All Star game MVP (#6 Safety in the nation), the #4 Safety in the nation, the #13 QB in the nation FROM CALIFORNIA, the #10 MLB from CALIFORNIA...shall I continue?

Trott's Dad went to AU...ALL his friends are going to AU (including Eddins) and it still came down to the last minute with him. Gabe grew up an AU fan as did Montez Billings.

You guys have a great class now doubt. But dont forget, you went 13-0....you SHOULD have a great class by default.

140300[/snapback]

ok, so you think shula is not trying to recruit in state talent? ha! the point i was trying to make is that alabama always dominates in state and this year they are not. but, if you want to talk about out of state recruiting thats fine to. we could talk about tray blackmon(#1 rated linebacker in the country) from gerogia, or mike harness(#2 rated o-lineman in the country) also from georgia. then we could move to alonzo horton(#3 rated linbacker in louisiana) or patrick trahan(#17 rated DB in the country) also from the bayou. i could go on and on with names like brian west from beaumont texas and ryan stamper,the 10th best linebacker in the country, but i dont think i need to tell you about aairon savage or jonathon wilhite to get you to understand that although shula is doing well outside the state, auburn is doing just as well if not better.

by the way, tommy trott's grandfather played for alabama, so thats why it probably was atough decision for him.

i dont think we have to "twist the argument in our favor" this year. it is obvious who is having the better recruiting season, but like it has been said before, it doesnt matter how good they were in high school, until they perform in college recruits mean squat.

Unless they are uat "greyshirts", then, they are brodies in waiting! :lol::lol::lol:

140277[/snapback]

140378[/snapback]

We are talking about the 2004 Mr. football Jarod Bryant.

Last I checked JPW signed a letter of intent feb 2004 with UAT

140384[/snapback]

Dang! First mistake I've made since October '65. :D

Is that the day you became a fan of uat? :D

Alrighty, I'll ask...........What happened in Oct. of '65? Was that when you decided to become an alabamer fan? :):D:big::lol::roflol::roflol: ........... :blink::puke::ua:

Ahhhh Crap, WarTim you beat me to it.........Wait, we tied....Saawweet, Rock On.

Actually, I turned 23 in October '65, but I can't tell you what the mistake was. It might get back to my wi . . . oops. Ssshhhh. :big:

About John Parker Wilson, he is a grayshirt recruit, signing in '04 but counting against the '05 class. Dang, I get confused easily. :D Back in '65, I'm not sure there was a term such as "grayshirt."

Actually, I turned 23 in October '65, but I can't tell you what the mistake was. It might get back to my wi . . . oops. Ssshhhh.

hahahahaha!

Trott's Dad went to AU...ALL his friends are going to AU (including Eddins) and it still came down to the last minute with him. Gabe grew up an AU fan as did Montez Billings.

Wrong again BG. Trott grew up a bama fan. His grandfather played ball there. If I'm not mistaken, he has relatives at bama now. His deciding factor: "the direction of the Auburn program made the decision for me......" :D

WDE!!!

BG, if Mc was such a lock for Auburn why were you saying on CT that bama had a good shot at him. You nicely ignored the fact that his Mother is a bama grad, his grandfather played FB at bama, and he has two sisters currently attending bama. Just admit that this was on of those instate head-to-heads that bama lost.

I agree bama is doing OK out of state. There is a reason. Auburn is cleaning up instate and that will pay big dividends in the future as it has for bama in the past.

bama will never be the bama of old if it can't win the instate battle.

140277[/snapback]

I think Trott was player of the year in 5A while Bryant was Player of the year in 6A and also voted Mr. Football. However, Bryant is on of those deals where he was a great H.S player but not considered a major college prospect.

Bryant is the #1 QB being recruited by the Air Force academy and Navy. He visited Colo. Springs a couple of weeks ago and is visiting Navy this week.

He can play just about any position on the field; he was Hoover's #1 running back his JR. year and he put up better numbers than JPW with less playing time his SR. year (3000 yards, 30 TDs, 4 int's playing the first half).

I'm sorry, he is a winner and a great kid; I can't understand not recruiting him. Using this logic; Pat Sullivan wouldn't have gotten a look by AU. What a disaster that would have been.

AUBirdie.... Not knocking our program or anything but where is Michael Harness rated the #2 OL prospect in the nation?? and where is ryan stamper rated at #10??

Bryant is the #1 QB being recruited by the Air Force academy and Navy.  He visited Colo. Springs a couple of weeks ago and is visiting Navy this week.

He can play just about any position on the field; he was Hoover's #1 running back his JR. year and he put up better numbers than JPW with less playing time his SR. year (3000 yards, 30 TDs, 4 int's playing the first half).

I'm sorry, he is a winner and a great kid; I can't understand not recruiting him.  Using this logic; Pat Sullivan wouldn't have gotten a look by AU.  What a disaster that would have been.

140562[/snapback]

I'm not saying you don't know but there is more to evaluating a prospect than stats-we have one of the best offensive minds in college football and a head coach that excels at evaluating talent. If we had a place on the field for him we would have gone after him.

Bryant was just a Product of the System............Like Erik said, "If CTT and CAB thought he would be a good fit, then we'd gone after 'em", well Erik didn't say that Exactly, but it's the same difference.........Stats don't mean Squat, and Yes Coach Tubbs has misevaluated (sp?) some Recruits (ie Phillip Rivers), but more times than none Tubbs has made the Correct Recruiting decisions.........

Wrong again BG. Trott grew up a bama fan. His grandfather played ball there. If I'm not mistaken, he has relatives at bama now. His deciding factor: "the direction of the Auburn program made the decision for me......" :D

WDE!!!

140549[/snapback]

I thought I read his mom was a bammer also. Never underestimate the influence of a mother......

Bryant was just a Product of the System............Like Erik said, "If CTT and CAB thought he would be a good fit, then we'd gone after 'em", well Erik didn't say that Exactly, but it's the same difference.........Stats don't mean Squat, and Yes Coach Tubbs has misevaluated (sp?) some Recruits (ie Phillip Rivers), but more times than none Tubbs has made the Correct Recruiting decisions.........

140665[/snapback]

and David Green

and David Green

Who??? Never heard of this David Greene fellow.......Did he play football for somebody? Must not've been very good, since I never heard of 'em......Wait, now I remember........He's Lead singer of the band "Soggy Bottom Boys"........Or, was that Brodie Croyle....."Man of Constant Sorrow"........ <_<:):D:big::lol::roflol::roflol::roflol: ............:huh: :puke::ua: / :uga:

Archived