Position Battles

Maverick.AU

An article by BMatt that I thought contained some good info.

AUBURN | With 12 days until the start of preseason practice, here are three key position battles to watch this fall.

1. QUARTERBACK

Of course, the quarterback battle is No. 1 with a bullet. Gus Malzahn said he wants to name a starting quarterback as early as possible, which sounds like a good plan. This team is in desperate need of a clear leader on that side of the ball. Malzahn said at Media Days it’s a three-way battle and he has a plan to accelerate the decision. Most believe Sean White held a slight edge coming out of spring practice but if John Franklin III can shore up his ball security and downfield passing, he brings a dual-threat ability that has been very successful in this offense. How Jeremy Johnson fits into all this, it’s hard to say but Malzahn says he’s in the mix. If Johnson was to return and lead Auburn to a successful season that would make a heck of a story.

2. BIG-PLAY RECEIVER

This isn’t a specific position but it’s a big need in this offense. Auburn has to have a wide receiver that can stretch the field and force opposing defenses to account for the deep ball. It helps open up the running game and gives this offense the big-play potential it lacked last season. The best returning player to fill that role is junior Jason Smith, who had a long reception in the Iron Bowl and had another called back against Louisville. Sophomore Ryan Davis, redshirt freshman Darius Slayton or one of the four true freshmen receivers could also develop into a big-play threat this season. Of course, Auburn could certainly use more than one.

3. BACKUP RUNNING BACK

After a strong showing in the final six games of last season, Jovon Robinson enters his senior season as the favorite to be Auburn’s workhorse at the running back position. A healthy Robinson is capable of rushing for 1,200 or more yards this fall. However, the running back position is one that can get banged up throughout a long SEC season and it’s important for the Tigers to develop quality depth. Kerryon Johnson has added 16 pounds in the offseason, which should allow him to be a more complete back as a sophomore. Kamryn Pettway made the transition from H-back to tailback in the spring and could challenge for the backup role. Johnson and Pettway are both very versatile backs, which is a good fit in Malzahn’s hurry-up offense. True freshman Malik Miller could also fill a role on this year’s team or redshirt. Same with true freshman Kam Martin, who projects as a speed back at Auburn with the potential to be an impact special teams player too.

MORE NOTES

** There should be a good competition between sophomore Jalen Harris and true freshman Landon Rice during two-a-days. Auburn is looking for a complete tight end that can block and be a weapon in the passing game.

** The offensive line looks pretty set with the starters coming out of spring: LT Austin Golson, LG Alex Kozan, C Xavier Dampeer, RG Braden Smith and RT Robert Leff. Darius James will continue to compete for one of the tackle positions and as the No. 6 guy. One of the keys this season is to build some quality depth and get some experience for the younger players as Auburn will have to replace the entire starting group (three seniors and two juniors) over the next two years or perhaps sooner.

** The wide receiver position is probably the most open when it comes to starting and key backup roles. Senior Marcus Davis is probably the only veteran that can feel safe about having a spot in the regular rotation. There will be a lot of competition this fall with four true freshmen and two second-year wideouts all pushing for playing time.

** Tyler Queen is expected to be able to throw once fall camp starts but he may be limited coming off of shoulder surgery in May. The redshirt freshman won’t be competing for the starting position right away but like true freshman Woody Barrett, will have a chance to move up the depth chart as the season progresses.

** With Pettway expected to spend most of his time at running back, Chandler Cox should be Auburn’s full-time starter at H-back.

i considered starting a thread on Pettway. not much talk about him but Gus said he is moving to tailback not splitting it up.

Sorta kinda surprising about Pettway. I know he had some nice runs during the A game but had the impression he is the better blocker of two Hbacks.

Tony Stevens and Marcus Davis have a great opportunity this season.  Davis hasn't made much noise since that catch against A&M and Stevens got decent action in the spring game.  As good as the freshmen are I've got to believe the success of the WRs lies with upperclassmen.  Maybe Kodi can turn that position around.

13 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Sorta kinda surprising about Pettway. I know he had some nice runs during the A game but had the impression he is the better blocker of two Hbacks.

Gus actually compared Cox to Prosch during a recent interview either at media days or the car wash...

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus actually compared Cox to Prosch during a recent interview either at media days or the car wash...

High praise there

52 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

He is but he has tail back ability too. As one AU reporter put it, All of Carl Stewart's skills plus enough quality speed to be a tail back.

41 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I thought that was more about his leadership though?

51 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Tony Stevens and Marcus Davis have a great opportunity this season.  Davis hasn't made much noise since that catch against A&M and Stevens got decent action in the spring game.  As good as the freshmen are I've got to believe the success of the WRs lies with upperclassmen.  Maybe Kodi can turn that position around.

Kyle Davis or Nate will be your outside deep guy.

The staff must feel really confident about Cox if KP moved to tailback.  I liked having 2 guys we could swap as h-backs as it doesn't seem like Pettway will get on the field much with Robinson, Kerryon, and Kam Martin presumably getting sweep carries (if he even has that role this year). Plus Malik Miller if he doesn't redshirt. I do like how Pettway is tough to tackle though....maybe staff feels we need the depth at RB?

Great post. From what I've seen pettway was better than Cox but maybe Cox stepped his game up

On 7/22/2016 at 6:16 PM, ellitor said:

He is but he has tail back ability too. As one AU reporter put it, All of Carl Stewart's skills plus enough quality speed to be a tail back.

Pettway had a catch-and-run first down vs Arkansas last year that was one of my favorite plays of the season. Trucked a defender. Would love to see him get some more opportunities this year.

From my observations Pettway seemed to be the better between the tackles blocker but Cox seemed better on the edge and in space.  Cox should be stronger this year and be a better inside blocker plus getting more game experience isn't bad either.  

On 7/22/2016 at 3:18 PM, ellitor said:

What about D. Slayton? How is he coming along?

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

What about D. Slayton? How is he coming along?

Haven't heard. He could be a factor too. I just think Nate is by far the most talented WR we have signed since the "O" boys.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Haven't heard. He could be a factor too. I just think Nate is by far the most talented WR we have signed since the "O" boys.

I agree, although I have very high expectations for Slayton. Fast, rangy guy with big hands. 

On 7/22/2016 at 6:18 PM, ellitor said:

I hope Kyle has been putting in work.  In the playoffs Mill Creek shut him down easy and he could not get any separation whatsoever.  I don't know what his top end speed is but I would love to see him do well and have a kid with his size that could fly.

Archived