4* SF Chuma Okeke Commits

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

No cuz a lot of those teams get theirs late because they are a NBA Draft revolving door.

Mostly I think because those top dozen or two kids are also playing the recruiting game with the big guys and won't commit until later in the game. Just sayin' ....it's a long way to 2017 signing day......and not too bad an idea to keep things in perspective.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

No cuz a lot of those teams get theirs late because they are a NBA Draft revolving door.

So do you think our three recruits are more likely to stick around for, say, three years or so?

7 minutes ago, Seattletiger said:

So do you think our three recruits are more likely to stick around for, say, three years or so?

My guess on Davion & Wiley would be no. I would be happy to get 2 years from them. I was just saying though those other teams already have an NBA Draft revolving door and some will likely take 5 to 6 top players in this class. Barring attrition we are taking 4.

Edited by ellitor

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My guess on Davion & Wiley would be no. I would be happy to get 2 years from them. I was just saying though those other teams already have an NBA Draft revolving door and some will likely take 5 to 6 top players in this class. Barring attrition we are taking 4.

Understood where you were coming from re: rankings and also that's it only a guess--who can know what a player will do?  But I'm torn.  On one hand I'm very excited that we are getting players who may be good enough to jump to the NBA after a couple of years as I know that's the way the very successful programs are being built these days.  On the other hand, I long for the old days where even very good players stayed in school for three or four years and could get to know them before they go off to the NBA (which I do not follow at all, especially since the Sonics left town).

5 minutes ago, Seattletiger said:

who can know what a player will do?  

Nobody right now. I doubt these kids who have not gotten to AU yet even really know what they will do.

On 7/25/2016 at 5:35 PM, AU64 said:

Nice to get the recognition but anyone find it strange that Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas and the usual powerhouses are not on the list?   Seems like many schools are not announcing their commitments yet.

Hoping we can hang on to these guys...they should at least give us one of the top 2 or 3 classes in the SEC when the dust settles.

As far as duke and Kentucky, no because I know who they are going after instead. Other schools yes I thought about it too. But he's not top 5 at his position so I guess I could see EVERYBODY not after him.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

As far as duke and Kentucky, no because I know who they are going after instead. Other schools yes I thought about it too. But he's not top 5 at his position so I guess I could see EVERYBODY not after him.

True....I notice only 4 of the top 25 have committed yet so lots of higher ranked guys are out there for the big programs to pick from.   That top 10 list will look a lot different by the end of the year.  Still, AU has done a good job getting a head start with some of the ESPN Top 100; 

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

Yes we have. I'm more excited about this guys defensive potential than anything. He's pretty much built to shut down small forwards and shooting guards. There are nba players who wish they had his frame

Brunch retweeting this kid saying he was committed to AU. Is that not like talking about kids who haven't signed?

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Brunch retweeting this kid saying he was committed to AU. Is that not like talking about kids who haven't signed?

Huh? Are you saying coaches RTed that?

I don't know about basketball but for football the NCAA passed a new rule that let coaches RT recruits as of 2 days ago, just can't add a comment in the RT. My guess is that rule passed for basketball too. If so a coach RTing Okeke saying he committed to AU is within the new rules.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Huh? Are you saying coaches RTed that?

I don't know about basketball but for football the NCAA passed a new rule that let coaches RT recruits as of 2 days ago, just can't add a comment in the RT. My guess is that rule passed for basketball too. If so a coach RTing Okeke saying he committed to AU is within the new rules.

Yep, it was Bruce. Not Brunch. Autocorrect must have got me. I didn't know about the rule change.

• ellitor unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
And that 23 is rebounds. Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

we're gonna be pretty beastly in terms of dominating the boards and rim in 2018 if Wiley stays 2 more years and this guy + the Montgomery kid stay committed

Wiley will likely be gone after next year but we will get 1 year of Wiley and Chuma together.

Edited by ellitor

People should be super excited about this signing, for defense.....he will impact our team and our ability to play better on defense more than anything

• Like 1

i think wiley stays more than 2 seasons...look, i know the kid is 17,no practice time,not in the best shape,etc...i get all of that, and this team is light years better when he is in the game, but come on, he is a long,long way from NBA ready.....his mama and daddy ain't going to push him to leave until he is ready.....my guess is that we get 3 out of him....he'll get better every day, but lets not crown him the next  bill russel just yet

• Like 1

I wish the league would put a 21 years and older minimum. It would benefit the kids to have more maturity.  At least they can't join straight out of high school anymore, but I wish the one and done would be 3 and done.  Personal preference. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I wish the league would put a 21 years and older minimum. It would benefit the kids to have more maturity.  At least they can't join straight out of high school anymore, but I wish the one and done would be 3 and done.  Personal preference. 

Would make the college game have a wider range of competitive teams. The Kentucky's and North Carolina's couldn't sign 5 or 6 of the top 20 kids like they do now. So more of those kids would fall down for teams that aren't perennial powers to pick up. 

• Like 2

On 12/23/2016 at 6:06 AM, ellitor said:

Wiley will likely be gone after next year but we will get 1 year of Wiley and Chuma together.

Not to mention a back court of (possibly) Heron, Harper and Davion Mitchell.

On 12/24/2016 at 8:16 AM, tombigbeetiger said:

i think wiley stays more than 2 seasons...look, i know the kid is 17,no practice time,not in the best shape,etc...i get all of that, and this team is light years better when he is in the game, but come on, he is a long,long way from NBA ready.....his mama and daddy ain't going to push him to leave until he is ready.....my guess is that we get 3 out of him....he'll get better every day, but lets not crown him the next  bill russel just yet

You could be right. I'm just pointing out that the current info  is he plans on 2 years at AU then moving on.

Better get used to the fact that Wiley may leave after one and a half seasons. In that sense, we should be thankful right now we got him for the last half of this current season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Just can't wait to see Davion, Okeke and Wiley on court together. Harper will surely have someone to distribute the ball too. Will okeke play SF or will he be forced into PF?

He's got a PF game so that's where I see him playing.

And bold prediction. Davion will have more dimes next year than Harper IMO.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

U think Harper will still be point? I thought Okeke would play PF but knew he was listed as SF so wasn't sure. I knew he had a strong rebound game so figured PF. Sure be nice to have Him at PF and Wiley at C. U think Heron is still here next season? If so will he play SF ?