4* SF Chuma Okeke Commits

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's got a PF game so that's where I see him playing.

And bold prediction. Davion will have more dimes next year than Harper IMO.

I know folks are really excited about Davion. But if he beats out Harper at point then man-o-man that kid will be a good one. Harper opened my eyes with the way he played against OK and UCONN. Harper could play the 2 with the way he can shoot but if the other team has a 2 with any size that would be a hard guard for him. 

14 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

U think Harper will still be point? I thought Okeke would play PF but knew he was listed as SF so wasn't sure. I knew he had a strong rebound game so figured PF. Sure be nice to have Him at PF and Wiley at C. U think Heron is still here next season? If so will he play SF ? 

Will Heron stay after this year? I have no idea but man I hope so. I personally think he needs to improve his shooting percentage and ball handling to get a high NBA grade. But if the guy keeps improving through the year then who knows. If we get another year with Heron and Purifoy then we'll have a very scary team next year. And that is scary in a good way!

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I know folks are really excited about Davion. But if he beats out Harper at point then man-o-man that kid will be a good one. Harper opened my eyes with the way he played against OK and UCONN. Harper could play the 2 with the way he can shoot but if the other team has a 2 with any size that would be a hard guard for him. 

Will Heron stay after this year? I have no idea but man I hope so. I personally think he needs to improve his shooting percentage and ball handling to get a high NBA grade. But if the guy keeps improving through the year then who knows. If we get another year with Heron and Purifoy then we'll have a very scary team next year. And that is scary in a good way!

Heron and Purifoy have the natural ability to eventually play at the next level but neither is ready for the NBA yet. DP can shoot long shots and drive to the basket but when he is cold he doesn't know how to manufacture points. Dp showed in the Conn. game that he can rebound but he needs to do it on a more consistent basis. DP gets in foul trouble and disappears in some games. All this will get better with more PT and more experience. Heron rebounds very well for his size and can manufacture points when he is cold but he also disappears in some games he is closer then Purifoy but with his size he will need to be a SG at the next level and while he can score he is not a pure shooter. He needs to improve that aspect of his game.  Like Purifoy he needs time and experience to work on his game.

Both have great upsides but I think they would hurt themselves if they don't play at least one more year at Auburn. There is always the risk of getting hurt in college when not getting paid if either were super star talent at this time then they should go NBA next year, but with the weaknesses in their games they will make more money if they stay and improve their overall game.

Unless they start putting up absolutely incredible numbers they're definitely not leaving this year off the draft class being so strong. Unless they aren't smart at all 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

U think Harper will still be point? I thought Okeke would play PF but knew he was listed as SF so wasn't sure. I knew he had a strong rebound game so figured PF. Sure be nice to have Him at PF and Wiley at C. U think Heron is still here next season? If so will he play SF ? 

1. Yes but JH is not a high volume passer nor a great drive-n-disher. Davion will play a lot. He is stronger, more physical, more explosive and has a game more suited to drive-n-dishing. 2. Don't know but hope so. 3. Coach Pearl technically does not have a SF in his system. He uses 3 guards, a 4 which could be a stretch 4 or traditional 4, and a 5. If Heron stays he will be 1 of the 3 guards.

10 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Thanks E. Do u think it knocks DP out of starting? Cause I see Harper, Mitchell, Heron, Okeke and Wiley as starters. 

No. Okeke & Davion are not starting over Danjel as freshmen. Danjel will start as 1 of the 3 guards or the stretch 4.

2 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

DP would likely not start if we remain intact next season. Imo. Harper, Davion, Heron, Okeke and Wiley are better than DP imo. 

Whatever you are smoking I want some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I didn't say anything about DM beating out JH. DM can easily play as a wing.

There's really not a difference between a guard and a small forward besides one usually is more defensive minded. LeBron is listed as a forward but he essentially plays like a guard and so on and so forth. Your best forwards are nothing more than big guards. That's why CO is a big get, he can play and guard multiple positions. Switching won't hurt him at all. Davion is actually a big want for his defensive prowess as well more than anything. He is good at many things but his most developed skill right now is an on the ball defender.

BP has played many different styles but if you're looking for a universal thing that you can look at EVERY stop that he does as far as philosophy, he really likes big and long guards. He likes 6'5"-6'7" guys that can handle the ball. He likes them to be interchangeable. I think for defensive purposes and pace purposes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ah, having DM and JH out there at the same time would make us awfully small at the guard spots. I agree it could be a package since we saw RJ and JH on the court at the same time this season. But i don't think it is likely those 2 would be on the court very often together. Also, your bold prediction of DM having more assists than JH seemed to indicate to me that you thought DM would get more time at point than JH since that is usually the position that generates a lot of assists. But if you think DM gets more assist just because that is how his game is then apologies for jumping to that conclusion

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Ah, having DM and JH out there at the same time would make us awfully small at the guard spots. I agree it could be a package since we saw RJ and JH on the court at the same time this season. But i don't think it is likely those 2 would be on the court very often together. Also, your bold prediction of DM having more assists than JH seemed to indicate to me that you thought DM would get more time at point than JH since that is usually the position that generates a lot of assists. But if you think DM gets more assist just because that is how his game is then apologies for jumping to that conclusion

1. 6'2 can survive as a wing and could thrive with great explosiveness like Davion has.

2. Not in Pearl's offense historically. For those who know anything about the Michael Jordan era Bulls, Jared is comparable to BJ Armstrong. A 3 point marksman who will occasionally drive the ball or facilitate for others. Jared is mainly the primary ball handler to bring up the ball and while plays start.

3. Stated that here in #1.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

I agree with this, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see DM getting more minutes at PG than JH by the end of next season. As much as I love JH and what he's done this season, DM may just have more tools at his his disposal at the end of the day. Either way, we should be looking at an embarrassment of riches at the position next season. 

No way DP is beat out for a starting position next year unless something crazy happens to him or we get some crazy talent that is ready to start in the NBA and have no choice. 

I could see these big time freshmen coming in and getting quality minutes behind him but all of our freshman will be much more mature and ready come game time next season and with things such as the invitational we'll be playing in, we'll need it.

On the other topic, i think it would be interesting to see Davion play off the ball with Jared at the 1. It gives Jared the ability to play off the ball too which will likely get him more open shots and it gives us a lineup that will be harder for teams to match up against, even though it's smaller, it's got two different players who could run the offense and both give us a different look. It may be a disadvantage in man to man defense but Davion isn't too small and could be able to hold his own. 

• Like 3

I don't really care who gets the assists I'm just glad we will have 1) a good PG and 2) a good backup PG. Not that Ronnie Johnson isn't a good backup PG, he's exactly what we need but he's not as talented as JH or DM. It was basically yesterday where we had 1 scholarship PG then quickly reduced to zero scholarship PGs and then being forced to try Cim Bowers at the 1 spot for the last quarter of a season.

SO glad those days are behind us. I'd really like to be a fly on the wall during practices when Harper and Davion battle it out. Mitchell isn't very tall either, right? He's listed at 6'1 but Harper is listed at 5'10 and I think that's generous. If I'm guessing Mitchell is probably 6' or 5'11 just based on height listing inaccuracies. 

46 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't really care who gets the assists I'm just glad we will have 1) a good PG and 2) a good backup PG. Not that Ronnie Johnson isn't a good backup PG, he's exactly what we need but he's not as talented as JH or DM. It was basically yesterday where we had 1 scholarship PG then quickly reduced to zero scholarship PGs and then being forced to try Cim Bowers at the 1 spot for the last quarter of a season.

SO glad those days are behind us. I'd really like to be a fly on the wall during practices when Harper and Davion battle it out. Mitchell isn't very tall either, right? He's listed at 6'1 but Harper is listed at 5'10 and I think that's generous. If I'm guessing Mitchell is probably 6' or 5'11 just based on height listing inaccuracies. 

I'd like to stand next to Harper one day to see how tall that guy is. He looks like he is about 5'7" on the court but that is probably because he is surrounded by 6'5"+ players. Doesn't really matter cause dude gets the job done regardless of his height. 

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'd like to stand next to Harper one day to see how tall that guy is. He looks like he is about 5'7" on the court but that is probably because he is surrounded by 6'5"+ players. Doesn't really matter cause dude gets the job done regardless of his height. 

Oh yeah he definitely gets the job done. And true he looks smaller when there are 6'5+ around him. I love his aggressiveness going to the hole -- even when it gets blocked. Eventually he will start finding open guys on kick-outs more consistently once defenses will have to respect his drive more.

53 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

It seems to be that we'll be top 3 or 4 in terms of talent in the SEC next year with this next recruiting class. Am I thinking accurately?

May be top 4 in pure talent now. Just gotta season it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Also if you look at his highlights in this thread, there is NOTHING about his game that looks like a power forward. His high school team wasn't even using him there. He has excellent form on his jump shot, even when he posted guys his natural reaction was a fall away jumper (common to guards in the post) he can handle the ball great with his left hand, finish with it as well. Now I don't imagine there's any way they don't try him in our system as a stretch 4.....But UNC, duke, or Kansas has him at wing reaking havoc and erasing pick and rolls situations and have him at the top of the key messing up teams entire offenses trying to pick for mismatches. If boheim had him at Syracuse he'd be at the top of his match up zone defense making coaches cry

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 0:04 PM, AUTigersfan89 said:

It seems to be that we'll be top 3 or 4 in terms of talent in the SEC next year with this next recruiting class. Am I thinking accurately?

I don't know if you included Alabama in the list but their talent level jumped exponentially in this last class

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Also if you look at his highlights in this thread, there is NOTHING about his game that looks like a power forward. His high school team wasn't even using him there. He has excellent form on his jump shot, even when he posted guys his natural reaction was a fall away jumper (common to guards in the post) he can handle the ball great with his left hand, finish with it as well. Now I don't imagine there's any way they don't try him in our system as a stretch 4.....But UNC, duke, or Kansas has him at wing reaking havoc and erasing pick and rolls situations and have him at the top of the key messing up teams entire offenses trying to pick for mismatches. If boheim had him at Syracuse he'd be at the top of his match up zone defense making coaches cry

I agree for the most part but I think we need to get Chuma on the floor wherever he can get the most minutes next season to help with rebounding. If his rebounding transitions well he could be a monster on the boards. I think he's a special talent at SF though. Chuma has much more potential there. I just think it may behoove our lineup more next year with him primarily at the 4. Not sure if I see anyone giving us better minutes at the position next year and I'd rather spread the talent than have him and DP battling for minutes at SF. Personally.

In the long run, i 100% agree with you.