Rivals has us #7 so far.

jaydubb121

Guest Tigrinum Major

I am always a little skeptical of recruiting class rankings. They are based on what a kid did against the competition in high school, which is always varied, depending on area and classification. It is always based on potential.

That being said, AU appears to be cleaning up in the state, which is always a good sign. And Georgia is once again a fertile ground for recruits to the Plains...

Sad to say but NO. Those that live and die for this "stuff" wil panic at every turn.

I do not worry about "rankings" when it comes to recruits. I had rather have a HIGH ranking in the Polls at the end of the Season. :au:

Yeah I trust rivals rankings a LOT more than scout. Scout has us 12th and AU 13th. But yesterday they had us 9th and AU 19th. Us 9th is stupid and AU 19th even before trott and gabe is reaaaally stupid.

I think AU's class is top 10 worthy and ours top 15.

Yeah I trust rivals rankings a LOT more than scout. Scout has us 12th and AU 13th. But yesterday they had us 9th and AU 19th. Us 9th is stupid and AU 19th even before trott and gabe is reaaaally stupid.

140303[/snapback]

Hey BG how many guys do you think will stick around for a scolly? This is not a prod it is a legit question. Due to greyshirts Shula only has 21 Scholarships to give yet they have 29 committed. Seems to me there will be several dissapointed young men or Shula will again have to "borrow" from next year. Any insight on this situation ?

In a general sense, over time, recruiting rankings mostly pan out. Any given year in isolation, you could point out classes that were evaluated wrong, either under or over valued. But if you take a 4 or 5 year span and look at the teams that consistently rank high in the recruit rankings, those teams are usually the best teams on the field during that period as well.

So, that said, I take it with a grain of salt. I'm happy with our class right now. Antone Smith would just make me giddy. But if I had to choose between being happy and ranked low or being happy and ranked high, I'll take being happy and ranked high.

140303[/snapback]

Hey BG how many guys do you think will stick around for a scolly? This is not a prod it is a legit question. Due to greyshirts Shula only has 21 Scholarships to give yet they have 29 committed. Seems to me there will be several dissapointed young men or Shula will again have to "borrow" from next year. Any insight on this situation ?

140307[/snapback]

Thats actually not accurate. We are honoring 2 greyshirts from last year: Drew Davis and John Parker Wilson. But they are included in that 29. We have 25 schollies to give and 29 commited. We have one bryant scholly player and two guys who have verballed that will be greyshirted and possibly one more. So that means we are at 26. We are assuming a couple of academic casualties and maybe 1 guy switching his verbal. We will sign 31 im guessing.

I know these rankings mean nothing, and the process isn't over, but what's the deal with HalF-SU way down at #21?

BTW, over at CFN they have a report on 2001 recruiting busts, FSU's recruits dominated that list, 5 out of the top 25. Bobby goes after 5 star ratings and makes no effort in making a real evaluation of potential or character. I will take Tuberville's recruiting skills over his any day...

Recruiting Review 2001 - Busts

Guest Tigrinum Major
I know these rankings mean nothing, and the process isn't over, but what's the deal with HalF-SU way down at #21?

BTW, over at CFN they have a report on 2001 recruiting busts, FSU's recruits dominated that list, 5 out of the top 25.  Bobby goes after 5 star ratings and makes no effort in making a real evaluation of potential or character.  I will take Tuberville's recruiting skills over his any day...

Recruiting Review 2001 - Busts

140340[/snapback]

I found it very surprising that Brodie Croyle was included on this list. I wouldn't call him a "bust" when he has been hurt most of the time. When he has been healthy, he has shown flashes of adequacy. I realize the writer gave this same caveat, but to call him a bust is too strong. Now, that being said, I hope he throws about 25 interceptions in the first three games of 2005 to go along with no touchdowns. Than maybe we could use the "Bust" tag.

The one gripe I have with that "busts" list is how many he's calling a bust because of injury. To me, a "bust" is someone who came in with all the hype, but simply didn't perform at game time or frittered away their chance with dumb off the field decisions. Injuries happen because kids are fighting and trying most often. That doesn't equal bust in my eyes.

The one gripe I have with that "busts" list is how many he's calling a bust because of injury.  To me, a "bust" is someone who came in with all the hype, but simply didn't perform at game time or frittered away their chance with dumb off the field decisions.  Injuries happen because kids are fighting and trying most often.  That doesn't equal bust in my eyes.

140348[/snapback]

I agree totally. I might not like Croyle, but I know that comes because of the jersey he wears on Saturday (plus, I think his dad is an idiot, which doesn't help). I felt bad for him when he got hurt. I wouldn't label him a "bust" at all.

Maybe Stat can help with this, but I saw someone somewhere post that the All-American teams were dominated by former 2 & 3 star recruits and hardly had any 4 stars. I can't remember where I saw it...

Maybe Stat can help with this, but I saw someone somewhere post that the All-American teams were dominated by former 2 & 3 star recruits and hardly had any 4 stars. I can't remember where I saw it...

140353[/snapback]

It's a play on your "All-American" terminology, but I'd say Auburns "All-American" team this past year was dominated by 2 and 3 star players. Maybe Stat can confirm that as well.

in position breakdown rivals has us listed #1 for TE, #2 for LB & #6 for WR.

i can't wait to see these guys in action.

I would think that recruiting would be much better ranked at #7 than if AU were ranked #77. It's great now, let's all hope and pray that in 4 - 5 years it looks even better!!!!! :cheer::cheer::au::au::au:

i gotta be the mean guy that disagrees with you all on the word bust. i know it's not the player's fault if he gets injured, but i think it's an accurate description to say a guy is a bust if he came in with expection and has failed to yield on the field production. if a guy just can't get it done, then he's probably a bust b/c people overrated his talent. if a guy got injured, he's a bust b/c of bad luck or circumstance. if a guy is lazy, he's a bust b/c he doesn't work hard enough to get his best. they are all busts b/c they aren't living up to expection on the field though. i'd say up to this point, brodie is a bust... maybe it's no fault of his own (personally i've been less than impressed even when healthy) but he still isn't producing.

I'm not sure about what level player dominated our team. The bulk of the offense was 4 or 5 in skill slots. (Campbell 5, Carnell 5, Ronnie 4, Ben O. 5, Devin 4, McNeil 4) I'm not sure about Slaugher - but then that leaves Wallace (3 or 4), Mix 3, Taylor 3, Reddick, 3, Lindsey, 3, Grubbs 3, and Ingle Jr - who was a walk on).

Defensively was dominated by 4*'s also. - Rosegreen 4, Jackson 4, Ratliff 4, Dickens 4, McClover 4, Groves 4, Eddins 3, Herring 3, Pitts 4, Williams, 3, DeDe 3, Williams 3.

Yost was a 4, Bliss and Vaughn were 3's.

So if you have the starting line ups -

QB - 5*

RB - 5*, 4*

WR - 5*, 3* (Taylor over Devin)

TE - 4 or 3*

OT - 4*, 3*

OG - 3*, 3*

C - no star

DT - 4*, 4*

DE - 4*, 4*

CB - 4* 4*

S - 3*, 4*

LB - 3*, 3*, 3*

K = 3*, 4*

P - 3*

So three 5*'s, 11 4*'s, 11 3*'s.

I really hope we get Smith.

I know we may be a long shot, but it sure would be nice. Not to take anything away from Tre Smith or Kenny Irons or Carl Stewart. I've seen all of them play football, and they're good RBs. I've seen Tre and Kenny both have great (and I mean GREAT) games. Still, you gotta reload some time, and there's no time like the present.

I'm not a sky-is-falling Chicken Little, either, so don't even start. But it would just make me feel better to have this potential superstar sign with us.

We were very lucky and blessed by God Himself to have Caddy and Ronnie back there together, and maybe I've just gotten spoiled because of that, but I want more runningbacks. I want to be Runningback U. So what if we get too many, we just send the ones that don't hack it to Southern Illinois. I hear they'll take anyone.

Thanks for letting me vent. Having gotten rid of all that, I can say that I think we've already had a great class, so that ought to bode well for the future. I guess losing Chizik didn't hurt us so badly after all. Good job to Coach Tuberville. He really is the man, and I trust him to do what's best for the team.

But I still want Smith.

War Damn Eagle!

i gotta be the mean guy that disagrees with you all on the word bust. i know it's not the player's fault if he gets injured, but i think it's an accurate description to say a guy is a bust if he came in with expection and has failed to yield on the field production. if a guy just can't get it done, then he's probably a bust b/c people overrated his talent. if a guy got injured, he's a bust b/c of bad luck or circumstance. if a guy is lazy, he's a bust b/c he doesn't work hard enough to get his best. they are all busts b/c they aren't living up to expection on the field though. i'd say up to this point, brodie is a bust... maybe it's no fault of his own (personally i've been less than impressed even when healthy) but he still isn't producing.

140390[/snapback]

I agree 100%. The uaters will argue all day about the "second coming of joe whatshisname"....but.....I have seen nothing from him thus far.

Archived