Auburn Basketball now has the #1 recruiting class

Auburn2Eugene

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/18998115/4-star_forward_chuma_okeke_com.amp

4-star forward Chuma Okeke commits to Auburn, Tigers now have No. 1 basketball class

Chuma Okeke committed to Auburn (photo courtesy 247Sports)
Chuma Okeke committed to Auburn (photo courtesy 247Sports)

• Facebook Icon
  • Twitter Icon
  • Email  Icon
  • Text Message Icon
  • More options IconCLOSE
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
    By Drew Champlin | dchamplin@al.com CLOSE

Auburn added its third impact recruit in the class of 2017 as forward Chuma Okeke pledged to the Tigers, according to multiple reports.

Okeke, a 6-foot-7, 225-pound forward from Westlake High School in Fairburn, Ga., is the nation's No. 57 overall recruit and No. 7 player in Georgia according to the 247Sports composite. The four-star Okeke is ranked as the nation's No. 11 small forward.

Other offers for Okeke included Georgia Tech, UAB, Mississippi State, LSU, Georgia, Clemson and Florida.

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl tweeted a "Boom" following the news. Okeke joins five-star center Austin Wiley, a center from Spain Park ranked No. 17 nationally and four-star point guard Davion Mitchell in the class and it is now ranked No. 1 overall in the 247Sports composite.

Mitchell is the 35th-ranked recruit nationally in the 247Sports composite.

As a sophomore in 2014-15, Okeke scored 22.7 points per game with 7.5 rebounds per game.

Old news & we have an Okeke thread pinned and featured at the top of the basketball forum.

Side note. AU already had the #1 class on Rivals & Scout.

I think someone mentioned this in another post, but i'll reiterate.

While it is impressive that Auburn has the #1 class now, it isn't likely to stay through the end of this class. Duke, Kentucky, and North Carolina will make their moves around the early signing period and sometimes (as is the case with Kansas) will make the biggest impact in early summer (ie Andrew Wiggins (committed to KU on 5/14/2013) and Josh Jackson (committed to KU on 4/11/2016). 

All that being said, I think Auburn can end with a Top-10 class and possibly even a Top-5 class. IGTBAAT.

9 minutes ago, kwren34 said:

I think Auburn can end with a Top-10 class and possibly even a Top-5 class. IGTBAAT.

If we land 1 of our 2 top targets at shooting guard, Elias Harden or Herb Jones, then it will project as a top 6 class. The last 6 years on the composite it would finish 4th 2 times, 5th 3 times, & 6th twice.

2017 is looking really promising! I think our 4th spot in this class needs to go to another big man to put along side Wiley. If we have attrition (which we most likely will), then we need to add a sharpshooter. We have the athletes and the versatility, now we just need to add more skill.

8 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I think our 4th spot in this class needs to go to another big man to put along side Wiley. If we have attrition (which we most likely will), then we need to add a sharpshooter. We have the athletes and the versatility, now we just need to add more skill.

Lol. The staff is thinking the opposite. They want a shooter then if we lose a guy then take a big.

I absolutely love what Pearl is doing. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Old news & we have an Okeke thread pinned and featured at the top of the basketball forum.

Side note. AU already had the #1 class on Rivals & Scout.

I know there was a thread on him. That's not why I posted the thread. I had seen we had the #1 class, and came in here and there was no thread about this. In my opinion, its a big deal. I've followed all Auburn sports since I was a kid (mid 80s is when I started paying attention) and I can't remember EVER having a class like this. I mean the best basketball I've ever seen us play was in the Chris Porter days... And that was when I was in high school. 

This is unprecedented stuff going on, at least that I can remember.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Lol. The staff is thinking the opposite. They want a shooter then if we lose a guy then take a big.

Lol.  That works for me too.  Either way, I think we add 2 more guys to this class.

42 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Lol.  That works for me too.  Either way, I think we add 2 more guys to this class.

If we do that means somebody is not back for 2017. We are graduating 4.

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

If we do that means somebody is not back for 2017. We are graduating 4.

There is always "somebody not back" in basketball. I mean literally ALWAYS. A coaching staff that doesn't count on some attrition wouldn't be around very long.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

There is always "somebody not back" in basketball. I mean literally ALWAYS. A coaching staff that doesn't count on some attrition wouldn't be around very long.

Yeah. I know you are right. Somebody will not get the minutes they want & want to transfer.

It can't be so! Auburn with the #1 class!But from reading these boards over the last few years everyone said no coach could recruit at Auburn and made all the excuses in the world for Barbee,under amour contract  ect..Glad we finally got a real coach that can recruit kids to AU.WAR EAGLE coach Pearl and staff keep up the good work.

Shooting guard target Elias Harden committed to Xavier this week. I guess the staff will turn up the volume on Herb Jones, but most think he's going to end up at Bama. I'd like to see us go after Tevin Brown from Fairhope. 

3 hours ago, tigermac said:

Shooting guard target Elias Harden committed to Xavier this week. I guess the staff will turn up the volume on Herb Jones, but most think he's going to end up at Bama. I'd like to see us go after Tevin Brown from Fairhope. 

Apparently AU had other shooters higher on the board than Harden. Other than Jones I don't know who else that may be.

On July 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM, kd4au said:

It can't be so! Auburn with the #1 class!But from reading these boards over the last few years everyone said no coach could recruit at Auburn and made all the excuses in the world for Barbee,under amour contract  ect..Glad we finally got a real coach that can recruit kids to AU.WAR EAGLE coach Pearl and staff keep up the good work.

Steph Curry's success hasn't exactly hurt Under Armour's brand. His shoe, I believe, is the #1 selling basketball shoe in the country over the past couple of years. This couldn't be farther from the case when Barbee was here. UA basketball was laughed at. I really do think Curry's popularity has really benefitted us.

1 hour ago, chimesAU said:

Steph Curry's success hasn't exactly hurt Under Armour's brand. His shoe, I believe, is the #1 selling basketball shoe in the country over the past couple of years. This couldn't be farther from the case when Barbee was here. UA basketball was laughed at. I really do think Curry's popularity has really benefitted us.

So you think it's all in the shoes and Pearl is not a better coach than Barbee.OK ,but for me I think it's Pearl is just a good coach and Barbee was not,simple as that.

7 hours ago, kd4au said:

So you think it's all in the shoes and Pearl is not a better coach than Barbee.OK ,but for me I think it's Pearl is just a good coach and Barbee was not,simple as that.

Hahaha what? How do you take that from what I said? I was speaking to your Under Armour contract reference.

2 hours ago, chimesAU said:

Steph has helped UA but that has had no impact on AU. UA has not grown enough yet in AAU ball to give any recruiting stroke. Make no mistake though. UA is still a disadvantage . We would not have swiped Davion & Chuma from Nike's Georgia Stars AAU team if not for Pearl & the staff.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Steph has helped UA but that has had no impact on AU. UA has not grown enough yet in AAU ball to give any recruiting stroke. Make no mistake though. UA is still a disadvantage . We would not have swiped Davion & Chuma from Nike's Georgia Stars AAU team if not for Pearl & the staff.

??

7 hours ago, chimesAU said:

Hahaha what? How do you take that from what I said? I was speaking to your Under Armour contract reference.

Sorry if I mistook your post to mean it was all about the shoes.My main point was about all the excuses that were made for Barbee.IMO he was just not a good coach for AU.

6 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Sorry if I mistook your post to mean it was all about the shoes.My main point was about all the excuses that were made for Barbee.IMO he was just not a good coach for AU.

He wasn't a good coach for AU but the apparel thing would be a real obstacle for most coaches at AU. We were extremely blessed & got 1 of the few coaches in Pearl that could overcome it to the extent he has.

7 hours ago, chimesAU said:

His shoe took a big hit, at least the last pair did. Pretty much the joke of the finals. He'll need his next pair to be amazing. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

His shoe took a big hit, at least the last pair did. Pretty much the joke of the finals. He'll need his next pair to be amazing. 

The ongoing joke between me and my wife is finding the absolute ugliest/worst pair of shoes we can and calling them the hot new Chef Currys. 

Do we have any interest in Garrison Brooks from Auburn High School.  He is a 6'9" Power Forward. I know we want a shooting guard but as other have said while we only have 4 openings now with attrition we might have 5 openings.  After shooting guard Power Forward is our most obvious need.

41 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Do we have any interest in Garrison Brooks from Auburn High School.  He is a 6'9" Power Forward. I know we want a shooting guard but as other have said while we only have 4 openings now with attrition we might have 5 openings.  After shooting guard Power Forward is our most obvious need.

We have and have had for a good while other bigs higher on the board. Also w/ his dad coaching at Miss St it would be hard to beat them anyway.

Archived