2017 4* DE/Buck Markaviest Bryant COMMITS TO AU!!!

ellitor

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, ellitor said:

Monty Adams is his cousin. The only way they play together is in the pros.

I forgot... I was thinking he was Derrick's cousin. Confusion reigns supreme in my mind today!

We signed a solid class that was not Georgia dependent. We have a top 10 class and will be fine.

10 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

UGA did very well in GA but other schools pulled some elite players from GA like we did with Mr Bryant.  Clemson pulled the #1 QB in the country from GA. 

UGA took 11 of the top 15 in their state and 14 of the top 22.  Then dipped into other states and took top players from there too.  No one literally signs every kid, but 11 of 15 is lockdown city no matter how you slice it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

UGA took 11 of the top 15 in their state and 14 of the top 22.  Then dipped into other states and took top players from there too.  No one literally signs every kid, but 11 of 15 is lockdown city no matter how you slice it.

They still only landed 4 of the top 9 players in state including losing the #1 & #3 players in state. They did better overall in state but still did not lock down elite talent.

8 minutes ago, lala said:

Let's hope they continue to stink and the shine will wear off a little 

If I remember right, they finished with the same record we did. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

They still only landed 4 of the top 9 players in state including losing the #1 & #3 players in state. They did better overall in state but still did not lock down elite talent.

Yeah, they lost a couple.  One was a QB and I'm not sure that position was high on their priority list.  But they still cleaned house in state.  There's no spinning that otherwise.

For comparison's sake, look at Texas.  Of the top 20 players in the state of Texas, the Longhorns got one...the #20 ranked guy on the 247 Composite.  

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

And they only got four of the top 40.  By comparison, Auburn and Alabama combined to take 12 of the top 15 players in Alabama (six each).  There's just no comparison.  Georgia mopped up.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah, they lost a couple.  One was a QB and I'm not sure that position was high on their priority list.  But they still cleaned house in state.  There's no spinning that otherwise.

For comparison's sake, look at Texas.  Of the top 20 players in the state of Texas, the Longhorns got one...the #20 ranked guy on the 247 Composite.  

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

And they only got four of the top 40.  By comparison, Auburn and Alabama combined to take 12 of the top 15 players in Alabama (six each).  There's just no comparison.  Georgia mopped up.

Only getting 4 of the top 9 in not cleaning house in state. That's just a statistical reality. They cleaned up on 10-22 and did better over all than they have done in years but they have work to do to truly lock up the state especially with elite talent. For my definition of them locking up the state it would have to include at least 7 of the top 10 players in state.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

But the 4 they did land were 4 of the top 6.  And one they missed on (#1 player - a QB who went to Stanford) was replaced by the #5 player whom they have been high on from the get go (Jake Fromm, also a QB).  They missed on the #8 player, a safety who signed with Alabama - but that was replaced by the #2 player - also a safety.

It's still a lockdown effort.  Four of the top six.  Two of the top 9 they didn't get, they got other guys in that top 9 at their position.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But the 4 they did land were 4 of the top 6.  And one they missed on (#1 player - a QB who went to Stanford) was replaced by the #5 player whom they have been high on from the get go (Jake Fromm, also a QB).  They missed on the #8 player, a safety who signed with Alabama - but that was replaced by the #2 player - also a safety.

It's still a lockdown effort.  Four of the top six.  Two of the top 9 they didn't get, they got other guys in that top 9 at their position.

Close but not quite. I'm not budging on 7 of the top 10 as a barometer. I may be splitting hairs but that's just how I see it. The QB is the only 1 in the top 10 they would not have taken. The rest they would had they been able to.

Regardless this is Bryant's thread & be focused on him anyway.

Just now, ellitor said:

Close but not quite. I'm not budging on 7 of the top 10 as a barometer. I may be splitting hairs but that's just how I see it. The QB is the only 1 in the top 10 they would not have taken. The rest they would had they been able to.

Regardless this is Bryant's thread & be focused on him anyway.

Ok, last post on this subject then back to Bryant:  Look at it this way.  They already got 5 of the top 10, and two of the top 10 they didn't get, it was because they already snagged another guy in the same top 10 at that position.  To me, that's a wash and just as good as 7 of the top 10 in a literal sense.  Just sticking to 7/10 with no regard for positions they play is arbitrary.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Ok, last post on this subject then back to Bryant:  Look at it this way.  They already got 5 of the top 10, and two of the top 10 they didn't get, it was because they already snagged another guy in the same top 10 at that position.  To me, that's a wash and just as good as 7 of the top 10 in a literal sense.  Just sticking to 7/10 with no regard for positions they play is arbitrary.

In Mims @ QB yes. In McKinney at Safety yes. He was the #3 safety in the state but they got 1 & 2 & only took 2 safeties. The only 3 in the top 10 they missed on they would have taken were Solomon & the 2 CBs. Upon further review II will give you mostly locked down.

• Like 1

Lastly you can essentially say they only missed on 3 of their top 14 in state targets. Yeah. That's pretty much putting a pad lock on that thing.

My opinion on the lockdown: KS is a very good recruiter having learned from the best, tricks and all. Ultimately though you have to back it up on the field and I'm not convinced he's a good enough coach to do that. I'm hoping we can weather the storm for the next couple of years and KS will prove to be the mediocre HC that I think he is.

Probably said many times already, but it will be interesting to see if kirby enjoys the same advantage$ that he used to and his former boss still does. I'm sure there are deep pockets ready and willing, but do they know how to play that game? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Probably said many times already, but it will be interesting to see if kirby enjoys the same advantage$ that he used to and his former boss still does. I'm sure there are deep pockets ready and willing, but do they know how to play that game? 

I'm sure they know how... but they don't have the Emmert advantage, so if Kirby wants to play, my guess is his exit will be timed with an NCAA smack down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hell yeah they know how to play the game...............it already started last year...............................but it costs them one recruitB) who did not want to have any part of it.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2017 at 5:33 PM, AUBwins said:

Was anyone else slightly concerned with the person on the bleachers getting pulled by the hair off screen?  For a minute I thought someone was getting mugged.

I noticed the same thing.  When nothing happened I passed it off by thinking I must need new glasses.  

• Like 2

State wise, how does Alabama's top 12 FB recruits, match up to Georgia's top 12 recruits? I rated the following states are rated from worst to first in the SEC:

1. Florida has to be the best of the best in the USA with totals of super recruits that blows the mind.

2. Georgia

3. Louisiana

4. Alabama

5. Tennessee

6. Mississippi

7. Arkansas

8. South Carolina

9. Kentucky

10. Mizzou

* I left Texas out of the equation in that there are so many recruits that usually sign with teams all over the country. If I did rate TAMU on its own merits. I would have to rate TAMU around 3-5 place. Have at it my friends.

Edited by doc4aday

11 hours ago, doc4aday said:

State wise, how does Alabama's top 12 FB recruits, match up to Georgia's top 12 recruits? I rated the following states are rated from worst to first in the SEC:

1. Florida has to be the best of the best in the USA with totals of super recruits that blows the mind.

2. Georgia

3. Louisiana

4. Alabama

5. Tennessee

6. Mississippi

7. Arkansas

8. South Carolina

9. Kentucky

10. Mizzou

* I left Texas out of the equation in that there are so many recruits that usually sign with teams all over the country. If I did rate TAMU on its own merits. I would have to rate TAMU around 3-5 place. Have at it my friends.

Given the parameters you have Doc of top 12, looking at the 2017 class that just finished Alabama is actually ahead of LSU & #4 & Tennessee is ahead of both at #3 in the SEC...

1. Florida 5*s=5, 4*s=7

2. Georgia 5*s=3, 4*s=9

3. Tennessee 5*s=3, 4*s=6, 3*s=3 (even with the 3*s Tennessee had a per recruit rating average higher than Alabama & Louisiana)

4. Alabama 5*s=1, 4*s=11

5. Louisiana 5*s=0, 4*s=12

6. Mississippi 5*s=1, 4*s=6, 3*s=5

7. South Carolina 5*s=0, 4*s=4, 3*s=8

8. Mizzou 5*s=0, 4*s=3, 3*s=8

9. Arkansas 5*s=0, 4*s=2, 3*s=10

10. Kentucky 5*s=0, 4*s=1, 3*s=11

What this tells me is if Tennessee continues producing talent like this it's a dang good thing we got Coach Porter who knows the Tennessee recruiting area very well.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm a little biased, but where would Texas' top 12 rank?

2nd behind Florida with the parameters Doc gave.

Edited by ellitor

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well in a surprise, only looking at the top 12 per state per Doc's parameters Texas was behind both Florida & Georgia in 2017.

I think we'd be 2nd behind Florida.

4-5*

8-4*

I just found the rankings.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we'd be 2nd behind Florida.

4-5*

8-4*

I just found the rankings.

Yup. I was looking at 2018 & forgot to change the class to 2017.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup. I was looking at 2018 & forgot to change the class to 2017.

Speaking of 2018...there is a safety out of Angleton that I wouldn't mind having.