Tom Glavine's Son

Tom Glavine's son has committed to play Baseball for Auburn, maybe he will turn out to be as good of a pitcher as his father was  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/08/son_of_mlb_hall_of_famer_tom_g.html#incart_river_index . 

The guy has the name...hope he has his dad's fast ball too.    Good job by Butch or whoever was able to get the commitment. 

It sure can't hurt the marquee for AU Baseball right now. Hope he's a good one!!! We'll need him.

16 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

People are saying this is great ... I haven't seen a stat or a ranking.  Is the kid good?  Will our program improve with his play?

We will know he answers when he steps on the field for AU....up until then it's all speculation.....which is the most prevalent discussion subject on this board anyway.

9 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

People are saying this is great ... I haven't seen a stat or a ranking.  Is the kid good?  Will our program improve with his play?

Star rankings on baseball sites are all premium. Have no clue.

Does not appear to be a stud based on what's out there...pitches at Blessed Trinity in Atlanta (AAA state champions in '15 and runner up in '16) but does not play for any of the elite summer teams in metro Atlanta.  Fastest recorded fastball on Perfect Game is 85 mph.  I did not know Glavine even had a son in the '17 class.

4 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Does not appear to be a stud based on what's out there...pitches at Blessed Trinity in Atlanta (AAA state champions in '15 and runner up in '16) but does not play for any of the elite summer teams in metro Atlanta.  Fastest recorded fastball on Perfect Game is 85 mph.  I did not know Glavine even had a son in the '17 class.

The upside of this is that AU is not likely to be giving him financial aid in the way of a baseball scholarship.  

As for his ability.....guess we will learn more in a couple years but having a kid from a prominent baseball family commit is good for Auburn and shows trust in our coaches.

Look forward to seeing him in an AU uniform when his time rolls around.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

The upside of this is that AU is not likely to be giving him financial aid in the way of a baseball scholarship.  

As for his ability.....guess we will learn more in a couple years but having a kid from a prominent baseball family commit is good for Auburn and shows trust in our coaches.

FWIW KKolumbo posted on twitter the baseball site perfectgame.com gave him a grade of 8 which they consider a quality draft prospect.

Perfect Game is funny about their grading.  Typically an 8 is a kid who has appeared (paid) in at least two of their showcases and is decent.  7.5 is about as low as you will see on a kid who can throw at least in the low to mid-80's. I'd be surprised if an 8 has ever been drafted.  64's commentary is spot on, this is an image builder and if he's able to compete at all it's gravy.  Nothing but positive.

Looks like POD is right. PM said this about PG yesterday...

Mid-80s would be stretching it. He's not a kid who was highly recruited or is likely to make an early impact.

12 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Perfect Game is funny about their grading.  Typically an 8 is a kid who has appeared (paid) in at least two of their showcases and is decent.  7.5 is about as low as you will see on a kid who can throw at least in the low to mid-80's. I'd be surprised if an 8 has ever been drafted.  64's commentary is spot on, this is an image builder and if he's able to compete at all it's gravy.  Nothing but positive.

Absolutely agee plus if Daddy Tom is happy we may get some other benefits.......$$$

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:49 PM, AU64 said:

Is baseball like football in the fact that if you are a legitimate recruit you have to be counted against scholarship numbers? Even if it is a1/4 or 1/2 scholarship?

1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

Is baseball like football in the fact that if you are a legitimate recruit you have to be counted against scholarship numbers? Even if it is a1/4 or 1/2 scholarship?

Even in football,  schools can recruit "invited walk-ons" and they don't count against the 85 limit since they are not getting money.

As for baseball, players at many Div 1 schools are recruited to the baseball team and attend on academic or state sponsored scholarships and do not get any baseball scholarship money.  As I understand they do count against the number of players a team can have on the roster ....but not against the number of baseball scholarships that are allowed.    

Considering his family background, I kind of doubt there is the expectation of athletic scholarship money in this case.   Others may know more however.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Even in football,  schools can recruit "invited walk-ons" and they don't count against the 85 limit since they are not getting money.

As for baseball, players at many Div 1 schools are recruited to the baseball team and attend on academic or state sponsored scholarships and do not get any baseball scholarship money.  As I understand they do count against the number of players a team can have on the roster ....but not against the number of baseball scholarships that are allowed.    

Considering his family background, I kind of doubt there is the expectation of athletic scholarship money in this case.   Others may know more however.

I am talking about someone that has offers from other multiple schools. I guess where I am getting it from was from the Bryant Scholarship thing. Anyone of Bear Bryant's former players can go to UA on a scholarship. If that person happens to be a legitimate football prospect then they had to count against the 85 limit. Different thing altogether I guess.

3 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I am talking about someone that has offers from other multiple schools. I guess where I am getting it from was from the Bryant Scholarship thing. Anyone of Bear Bryant's former players can go to UA on a scholarship. If that person happens to be a legitimate football prospect then they had to count against the 85 limit. Different thing altogether I guess.

Yeah. For football any player on any type of scholly counts to the 85 limit. Not sure if baseball is the same with nonathletic schollies.

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. For football any player on any type of scholly counts to the 85 limit. Not sure if baseball is the same with nonathletic schollies.

Nope...in baseball, schools like Vandy and many public universities have players on non-athletic scholarships that do not count against their scholarship money and totals.   I would not be surprised if AU does not have a few...or if we don't we are missing out on a good way to enhance the baseball program.   The fact that they were recruited to attend Auburn or some other school is not an issue as long as they are not taking athletic department money.

Basketball and football are governed by a much more restrictive set of rules about which players count against the scholarship totals....if they were recruited by AU somewhere along the way. ...though invited walk-ons and gray shirts seem to be exempt and I'm assuming that's because they are paying their own way but not sure of the details on how that works.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Nope...in baseball, schools like Vandy and many public universities have players on non-athletic scholarships that do not count against their scholarship money and totals.   I would not be surprised if AU does not have a few...or if we don't we are missing out on a good way to enhance the baseball program.   The fact that they were recruited to attend Auburn or some other school is not an issue as long as they are not taking athletic department money.

Basketball and football are governed by a much more restrictive set of rules about which players count against the scholarship totals....if they were recruited by AU somewhere along the way. ...though invited walk-ons and gray shirts seem to be exempt and I'm assuming that's because they are paying their own way but not sure of the details on how that works.

Vandy is a private school so I don't think they don't even have the base 11.7 baseball scholly restriction. They can give their players a full ride if they want in baseball.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Vandy is a private school so I don't think they don't even have the base 11.7 baseball scholly restriction. They can give their players a full ride if they want in baseball.

Vandy is in the NCAA....which sets the scholarship rules for athletic scholarships....they can award non-athletic scholarships (academic) to students who can play baseball.  My understanding is that AU can do this too for students who qualify for the academic scholarships and they are not charged against the baseball scholarship totals.  

It is generally accepted that the wealthy private schools have more money for academic scholarship and have several players who are not on athletic scholarship....we know of a couple guys from the area who went to Vandy and TCU on academic scholarship and started on their baseball teams for several years.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

No, Vandy is like every other NCAA school. They are bound by NCAA restrictions on baseball. (11.7 baseball scholarships). Their advantage is they can attract top baseball players that are also great students and put them on academic scholarship. Auburn, for example, can do this as well but the money and prestige of a Vandy degree gives them a step up on that type of athlete.

Before someone asks, no, this is not legal in football or basketball. If a player in those sports is on any type of scholarship at all, they count against scholarship limits for their sport.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, Vandy is like every other NCAA school. They are bound by NCAA restrictions on baseball. (11.7 baseball scholarships). Their advantage is they can attract top baseball players that are also great students and put them on academic scholarship. Auburn, for example, can do this as well but the money and prestige of a Vandy degree gives them a step up on that type of athlete.

Before someone asks, no, this is not legal in football or basketball. If a player in those sports is on any type of scholarship at all, they count against scholarship limits for their sport.

64 had already posted this & corrected me.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

64 had already posted this & corrected me.

Mikey and I discuss this issue regularly...first one since baseball season ended however....:)

But AU should work to find athletes (like young Mr Glavine perhaps) who can attend AU and play SEC quality baseball without needing an athletic scholarship to do so.     Many of the better private schools like Vandy have the advantage of big money pots and well over half of their students get financial aid...period...just to help them attend the school so it's pretty easy for them to put together a good financial package for a smart kid who wants to play baseball without tapping into their limited baseball scholarships.   

AU gives out hundreds...maybe thousands of academic scholarships and someone can and should be working to help baseball prospects find and qualify for that academic money. 

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Mikey and I discuss this issue regularly...first one since baseball season ended however....:)

But AU should work to find athletes (like young Mr Glavine perhaps) who can attend AU and play SEC quality baseball without needing an athletic scholarship to do so.     Many of the better private schools like Vandy have the advantage of big money pots and well over half of their students get financial aid...period...just to help them attend the school so it's pretty easy for them to put together a good financial package for a smart kid who wants to play baseball without tapping into their limited baseball scholarships.   

AU gives out hundreds...maybe thousands of academic scholarships and someone can and should be working to help baseball prospects find and qualify for that academic money. 

General problem though is AU as a whole does not give near the scholly assistants to students overall that any of our competitors do. As much as I love baseball, baseball players at AU should not have an advantage over general student pop. Any initiative for AU to give more should be to general student which could include a baseball player but not a necessity.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

General problem though is AU as a whole does not give near the scholly assistants to students overall that any of our competitors do. As much as I love baseball, baseball players at AU should not have an advantage over general student pop. Any initiative for AU to give more should be to general student which could include a baseball player but not a necessity.

True it would be nice to have more general scholarship money but the whole scholarship and academic qualification issue is a touchy subject.   AU gives a substantial number of financial (athletic) scholarships to students who are not academically qualified by the standards applied to general student body.....thus perhaps depriving academically qualified students an opportunity to attend AU. 

I'm just suggesting that the athletic department could make more of an effort to find kids who are both academically qualified to attend AU and get scholarship aid...and also capable of playing baseball at a high level. 

Prospective students are judged by not just academics, but also extra-curricular activities in HS which includes sports.   I'm not thinking dozens...but it should be possible to identify a few quality baseball players each year at the better academic high schools in the state and help lead them to the baseball program by means of non-athletic financial aid.     I'm of the view that athletic scholarships might ought to be partly "need based"....with the money held for those who truly need it to attend Auburn....especially in the sports with such a limited number of scholarships available like baseball.

NCAA rules don't make that easy but lots of schools are doing something along that line....just hoping we are trying also...and not just taking the easy way out and limiting our prospect by just giving athletic scholarships in baseball.

Archived