2016 Fall Camp - Practice 1

RunInRed

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Apparently, according to the guys on Sports Call, the kid was looking through the playbook. That seems like a done deal to me. If it isn't, Gus probably needs to covet his playbook a little better. After all, we only have like 6 plays. 

That's the beauty of the Malzahn offense. He only has a handful of formations, but he can run practically any play from any of them, so it looks simpler than it is and, as long as he isn't having to sub personnel, confusing as heck to defensive coordinators.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Apparently, according to the guys on Sports Call, the kid was looking through the playbook. That seems like a done deal to me. If it isn't, Gus probably needs to covet his playbook a little better. After all, we only have like 6 plays. 

Gus has always stated he has a simple offense and a short playbook, but a lot of different formations.

Inside Zone (RB run)

Counter (RB run)

Power (RB run)

Buck sweep (RB run)

Fly Sweep (Slot run)

Outside Zone Read (QB/RB Option)

Whirley Bird (Play Action)

H-Back Wheel (Play Action)

Smoke Draw (RB run)

Err'body go deep (Pass)

WR Screen (Pass)

Bubble Screen (Pass)

RB Screen (Pass)

Wildcat Sweep (WR run)

Wildcat Power (RB run)

Wildcat Counter (RB run)

I'm sure I'm missing some. All (excluding the 3 wildcat plays) can be run from multiple formations with different personnel combos.

19 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i started out laughing at what you wrote, but now i am crying, because you just told the truth.....i came up with 5 of the plays, what is the 6th?

Hail Mary tipped off of the other teams hands. 60% of the time, it works everytime!

20 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Inside Zone (RB run)

Counter (RB run)

Power (RB run)

Buck sweep (RB run)

Fly Sweep (Slot run)

Outside Zone Read (QB/RB Option)

Whirley Bird (Play Action)

H-Back Wheel (Play Action)

Smoke Draw (RB run)

Err'body go deep (Pass)

WR Screen (Pass)

Bubble Screen (Pass)

RB Screen (Pass)

Wildcat Sweep (WR run)

Wildcat Power (RB run)

Wildcat Counter (RB run)

I'm sure I'm missing some. All (excluding the 3 wildcat plays) can be run from multiple formations with different personnel combos.

I was only kidding about there actually being 6 plays. Often times, that is what it seems like though, huh?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not just no...

i feel like to have any chance of success this year we will have to incorporate some major wrinkles into our running game. No team we play will be scared of us throwing the ball regardless which QB plays.  If we dont incorporate something to slow the defenses reactions down we are basically going to become tackling dummies.

The triple option utilizes much more than just misdirection.  But I do agree that Gus need's to implement more of his wing-t tendencies.

Also an interesting note from BMatt:

SD Jr is listed as a DB on the roster but was wearing an offense jersey on the first day of camp

The more I think about it, the more I think our backfield really does look a lot like '06 Arkansas. We saw how much Gus was willing to use Kerryon in the wildcat as a true FR last year. Hard to imagine he's going to get *fewer* wildcat snaps this year. And while he doesn't quite have the speed or power of Darren McFadden, he's plenty elusive and versatile, and at 6'0 211, he's no scat back. As for Jones and Hillis, I think we could come up with a reasonable facsimile of the two out of Pettway, Cox, Miller and the transfer kid. Pettway and Cox, especially, remind me a lot more of Peyton Hillis than Jay Prosch. I won't speculate on Miller, but he perfectly splits the difference between Hillis and Jones in terms of size, and then Martin, at a minimum, will bring that change of pace speed that Jones had. Oh, also... in 2006 McFadden and Jones were sophomores, and Hillis was a junior. No juniors in our group but we do have a redshirt SO in Pettway. 

Admittedly, I'm basing a lot of optimism on some pretty superficial similarities, and I'm certainly not expecting numbers like that offense put up- who knows how the OL, WRs, etc. stack up, and I'm happy to take a short break from thinking about our QBs-  but I don't think I'm crazy to expect some similar looks. 

I could see SD Jr. becoming a running back. He's big, plays down hill and has some play making ability. At least on the high school level....

KP is going to be a bright spot...he's waited for this and worked so hard for this all this time. I honestly think he's going to be a nightmare for defenses when it's all said and done.

We have some pretty solid guys still just watching practice don't we?

SO ...when does practice really get serious with incoming frosh in uniforms and enough work taking place to start seeing what the QBs really look like? 

I don't know that I buy into the KP highlight stat of 4.46 40.  He didn't seem that fast.  4.4 speed in high school is pulling away from most everyone.  But other than that, KP looks to be a great fit and I am excited to have him back at RB.  If SD gets a shot at RB then great if not, then we could always use the depth in the DBs.

Archived