2016 Fall Camp - Practice 3

RunInRed

No media viewing period today but Auburn's Defensive Coordinator, Kevin Steele, met with reporters post-practice along with a few players  ...

-- "Guys came back in very good shape and very good attitude."

-- "A good start but we've got a long way to go. A long way to go."

-- On T.J. Neal: "He's picked it up but it's still new to him."

-- On Josh Holsey at corner: "Multiplicity and moving parts." Has a "high football IQ."

-- Linebackers have handled being the quarterbacks of the defense "very well"

-- On Marshall Taylor being at practice: "That's a question for the head coach."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/08/live_updates_kevin_steele_revi.html#incart_river_index

"Where does Rudy Ford fit in best? On the field," Auburn DC Kevin Steele

Auburn DC Kevin Steele hard to play the same five all the time in secondary, why Josh Holsey taking reps at DB

Auburn DC Kevin Steele new freshman are like a "lost ball in high weeds"

Auburn DC Kevin Steele is feisty tonight, long three days for everyone

Auburn DC Kevin Steele not waiting for full question on Marshall Taylor to respond, "that's a question for the head coach"

"It's rare," to have two DLs as talented as Marlon Davidson/Derrick Brown in same close says Auburn DC Kevin Steele, very emotional mature

Auburn DC Kevin Steele biggest challenge for players is developing mental toughness

Auburn DC Kevin Steele repeats expectations on Byron Cowart last year were "unfair," said same thing in spring

@wareagleextra

Josh Holsey

Auburn DB Josh Holsey very excited about being back at DB/Nickel, no uncertainty between games about what position he will be at

Auburn DB Josh Holsey feels better with two ACL tears than he did with zero

Auburn DB Josh Holsey "happy to be out there" big goal for me to get back healthy Auburn DB Josh Holsey said he had to have someone dive at knee before feeling better, mental hurdle with injuries was biggest one

Auburn DB Josh Holsey "really down" after second ACL tear, without family wouldn't have come back for another year

Auburn DB Josh Holsey had thoughts of quitting, but had something left in the tank, credits former DB coach T Rob

Auburn DB Josh Holsey says he can tell @SirBroussard was coached well in high school CC: @CHSREDDEVILS @JameyDubose

@wareagleextra

Tray Matthews

Auburn DB Tray Matthews had two torn labrums, surgery separated by four weeks

Kamryn Pettway and Tray Matthews collided few times during practice, Matthews feels ready to go

Auburn DB Tray Matthews laughs when asked about his leaping attempt to tackle Leonard Fournette, "it was kind of a business decision" laughs

Matthews was worried about shoulders, just measured the jump wrong

@wareagleextra

Rudy Ford

Auburn DB Rudy Ford playing lot of different spots, mainly at nickel

Auburn DB Rudy Ford "I'll be ready" if he gets call to rep at RB, would pick it back up "real quick"

@wareagleextra

Sounds like the Marshall thing is not done with....some conflicting stories on the trip to Columbus and who did what.   Just wondering if he might be gone too?

Holsey has always been one of my favorite players since his freshman season. I'd hope he'd have a high football IQ, he's been here longer than Tommy Trott. Lol

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Holsey has always been one of my favorite players since his freshman season. I'd hope he'd have a high football IQ, he's been here longer than Tommy Trott. Lol

I feel like he's been here forever at this point. 

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I like that Steele is always wanting better. It's never good enough.

That's a trait that most good coaches I know possess

Very true, but being able to convey that desire and sense of desperation is hard to pull off. It takes the right mindsets from both players and coach.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I actually always thought he was better than Jones. He was one of my favorites as well

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I actually always thought he was better than Jones. He was one of my favorites as well

I think we have always agreed on Holsey, Cole. Personally without the injuries and position changes I think he had a real chance to be an All American CB. That's just my opinion tho 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chimesAU said:

That's a trait that most good coaches I know possess

I was thinking every good to great athlete and/or coach possesses that. 

1 hour ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i still can't believe kevin steele was hired as DC....

Good or bad?  I think CKS was a solid hire and the right man for the job. We all know about the 70 points that West Virginia scored on Clemson under CKS watch. You need to realize that Dave Aranda, the young DC guru on lsu's staff had 59 points scored on his defense while he was the DC at Wisconsin by Ohio State in the Big 10 conference title game. Kirby Smart when he was the DC at bammer had more than a handful of games that scored over 40 points on Saban's defense. Steele had some good years at Clemson. He did a good job at LSU last season. I think we will have solid defense this year that will be significantly better this season than last year. 

Interesting that tray played with two torn labrums. He sure was on it in the Louisville game. I want to see more of that, because we certainly need it.

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

I like that Steele is always wanting better. It's never good enough.

Muschamp didn't want the same?  Pretty sure Muschamp made his feelings known how soft the team was last year early in the season.

wde