2017 4* PF Garrison Brooks (Miss St Signee)

I love his mothers attitude and I love his size 6'10" 230 pounds. Tall and with some meat on his bones.  If we add him to this class plus with what should be returning we would have the potential to be a legitimate contender for an NCAA title.  I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for our basketball program.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I love his mothers attitude and I love his size 6'10" 230 pounds. Tall and with some meat on his bones.  If we add him to this class plus with what should be returning we would have the potential to be a legitimate contender for an NCAA title.  I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for our basketball program.

Make the tournament? Yes. Title? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

20 hours ago, jared52 said:

Make the tournament? Yes. Title? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I said potential to be a legitimate contender. Potential and contender are the key words. I didn't say we would win the title or even get to the Title game.

23 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Let's make the tourney & then the Sweet 16 before we start throwing out phrases like NCAA Title contender.

13 minutes ago, gravejd said:

or an NIT berth......

Really hope he decides to come join the best BB class AU has ever seen!

Until the next class. ;D

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Only going to get better

Golf: Since you are one of the few other persons around that might remember this: Do you think this year's class is better than Bob Davis's class of Mike Mitchell, Myles Patrick, Stan Pietkiewicz and Jim Krevacs? I know there were no rating services at the time, but I think that class would have been one 5* and three top of the group 4* prospects.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Golf: Since you are one of the few other persons around that might remember this: Do you think this year's class is better than Bob Davis's class of Mike Mitchell, Myles Patrick, Stan Pietkiewicz and Jim Krevacs? I know there were no rating services at the time, but I think that class would have been one 5* and three top of the group 4* prospects.

Excellent question........I would say yes. I actually think we could have two 5* and two 4*. Mike and Jim would have been the 5*s with Stan a high 4* and Myles 4*. People don't remember both Mike and Jim were on the same All-American team. Jim was first team and Mike second team 1977-78. Dr Bob could really recruit just wasn't the best game day coach. God that team was fun to watch. Throw in fast Eddie Johnson wow......also really a shame Jim ended up transferring to Texas 

For the younger guys see below

Jan. 11, 1975: Auburn 90, #7 Kentucky 85 in Auburn, Ala.
Freshman Mike Mitchell totaled 31 points and 15 rebounds to lead the Tigers to a 90-85 victory over seventh-ranked Kentucky before 11,399, the then third largest crowd for an Auburn home game. Gary Redding had 17 rebounds while Stan Pietkiewicz added 18 points and Eddie Johnson 12 points. Kentucky tied Alabama for the SEC Championship by going 26-5 (15-3 SEC). The Wildcats went on to lose to UCLA 92-85 in the NCAA Tournament championship game. It was UCLA's 10th and last national title by legendary coach John Wooden.

On 9/28/2016 at 8:34 PM, tigermac said:

UNC is probably our biggest threat for Brooks.  They recently landed a committment from a player very similar to GB, 6'9 230 PF/C Brandon Huffman from Anchorage, Alaska.

Yeah it's  not good if we are going toe to toe with UNC

32 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah it's  not good if we are going toe to toe with UNC

I know what you mean but in a lot of ways its a good/great sign we are trying to go toe to toe with the big boys. Key word trying.

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I know what you mean but in a lot of ways its a good/great sign we are trying to go toe to toe with the big boys. Key word trying.

Very true. I'll take it over going toe to toe with Middle Tennessee state anyday. Not that we have..just an example.

Even if Brooks goes to UNC, the fact that we are giving him something to think about is huge considering our competition for him. I think other top prospects will take notice when they continuously start seeing AU's name in the mix for some of the top guys in the country.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Even if Brooks goes to UNC, the fact that we are giving him something to think about is huge considering our competition for him. I think other top prospects will take notice when they continuously start seeing AU's name in the mix for some of the top guys in the country.

Still gonna hurt. He is from Auburn after all.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Still gonna hurt. He is from Auburn after all.

I know what you mean. But Bruce can pull equal talent in here. Maybe I'm just still feeling good about the talent looking at/committing to us because it's such a massive upgrade from what we are used to.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I know what you mean. But Bruce can pull equal talent in here. Maybe I'm just still feeling good about the talent looking at/committing to us because it's such a massive upgrade from what we are used to.

Yep.

Our last spot is pretty critical. Seems that Bammer will get Alex Reese And Herb Jones.

UNC will get Brooks. 

I wonder who we will get for our last spot.

58 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yep.

Our last spot is pretty critical. Seems that Bammer will get Alex Reese And Herb Jones.

UNC will get Brooks. 

I wonder who we will get for our last spot.

You are way under selling Auburn my friend. UNC may win this battle but they are the clear Underdog and Auburn is the clear favorite based on all info right now. I would say Auburn has a 60/40 Advantage at least, probably more like 65/35. I really like the fact his mom wants to keep in-state Talent home to help the college basketball in this state. She really knows her state of Alabama basketball.

Also the plan is to take two more in this class, not just one. A big and a shooter. If Auburn misses on Jones then they may not sign another shooter and leave the spot open.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

You are way under selling Auburn my friend. UNC may win this battle but they are the clear Underdog and Auburn is the clear favorite based on all info right now. I would say Auburn has a 60/40 Advantage at least, probably more like 65/35. I really like the fact his mom wants to keep in-state Talent home to help the college basketball in this state. She really knows her state of Alabama basketball.

Also the plan is to take two more in this class, not just one. A big and a shooter. If Auburn misses on Jones then they may not sign another shooter and leave the spot open.

Right now I think we get Brooks, but UNC could easily blow him away on his OV this weekend and that obviously could change everything. If we miss on GB I think our top target could become Ikey Obiagu http://247sports.com/Player/Ikechukwu-Obiagu-84001. He visited a couple of times last year and that was about it, but he recently visited AU again a couple of weeks ago. He had been trending to Maryland for a while but since his visit to AU, Maryland got a commit from a 4* C Bruno Fernando. 

And yeah if we miss on Jones Thursday I think we'll probably keep that spot open and sign just 4 in the ESP. We can use it on a transfer or someone in LSP if we want.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thanks for the info e I don't know anyone with good BB connections except what I get here.

1 hour ago, AdamsAU said:

Right now I think we get Brooks, but UNC could easily blow him away on his OV this weekend and that obviously could change everything. If we miss on GB I think our top target could become Ikey Obiagu http://247sports.com/Player/Ikechukwu-Obiagu-84001. He visited a couple of times last year and that was about it, but he recently visited AU again a couple of weeks ago. He had been trending to Maryland for a while but since his visit to AU, Maryland got a commit from a 4* C Bruno Fernando. 

And yeah if we miss on Jones Thursday I think we'll probably keep that spot open and sign just 4 in the ESP. We can use it on a transfer or someone in LSP if we want.

Yes North Carolina easily could blow Brooks away on his official visit. However, North Carolina also got a commit from a big man last week who seems to be similar to Brooks. As for not taking a second available player that is for the entire class and not ESP or LSP. At the level we are recruiting the staff does not want to take players just to take players. For them to take a second player if we miss on Jones they will have to be blown away by a transfer otherwise they plan to hold that spot for a 2018 recruit.

Archived