2017 4* PF Garrison Brooks (Miss St Signee)

Sounds like he may join the class soon. He is local and has offers from all over. Good player but needs time to develop. He will take 5 OV's plus a trip to Msst. He has visited AU many times an loves Coach Pearl. ATM, Msst and AU are in a battle for him. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Sounds like he may join the class soon. He is local and has offers from all over. Good player but needs time to develop. 

I would not say join the class soon. He had a great Summer curcuit at AAU ball & may have become a top target for AU. Miss St still remains the favorite though w/ his dad coaching there.

i'd be a little surprised if he goes to Miss State even though his dad is there. I'd think we are among his leaders along with UGA...going to be his decision. But mom wants AU

Hope we get him that would give us 4 great players in this class.

12 hours ago, bigman334 said:

i'd be a little surprised if he goes to Miss State even though his dad is there. I'd think we are among his leaders along with UGA...going to be his decision. But mom wants AU

Is he a take for AU though? That still remains to be seen. He wasn't before his great Summer per reports.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Is he a take for AU though? That still remains to be seen. He wasn't before his great Summer per reports.

If Bruce is flying all over the country not wanting to miss his games, you'd think he's a take but never can tell I guess. 

I like the idea of keeping a talented local kid. I do know that earlier E said our next priority is SG then PF in this class. So if we do want him it is either because we don't think we can get the quality SG we want  or that we know of somebody leaving early so we can take best SG we can get and best PF we can get. As to Pearl flying all over country and watching his games he is doing that for other players also. So even though he is good there might be another PF that Gus thinks we can get and that he likes more.

I want this kid but if Pearl who has more Basketball knowledge in his thumb then I have in my whole body likes somebody else better that is the guy I want.

4 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

If Bruce is flying all over the country not wanting to miss his games, you'd think he's a take but never can tell I guess. 

Brooks is not the only guy Bruce likes from those AAU teams & tournaments. He's not exclusively following GB. Many top recruits are at those same tournaments.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like the idea of keeping a talented local kid. I do know that earlier E said our next priority is SG then PF in this class. So if we do want him it is either because we don't think we can get the quality SG we want  or that we know of somebody leaving early so we can take best SG we can get and best PF we can get. As to Pearl flying all over country and watching his games he is doing that for other players also. So even though he is good there might be another PF that Gus thinks we can get and that he likes more.

I want this kid but if Pearl who has more Basketball knowledge in his thumb then I have in my whole body likes somebody else better that is the guy I want.

It wouldn't mean we know of someone leaving early. As Mikey said the staff knows the chances of someone leaving is very high. Happens to every basketball team now no matter how good or bad a team is. Taking a 5th guy is called being prepared.

He definitely is no lock for Mississippi State just because his dad is there.  I'd actually be kinda surprised if that's where he ended up. Also, Pearl was at a lot of his games, but he was also following Alex Reese who plays for Team Carroll alongside Garrison.  I think Reese is a little better fit for BP's offensive system, he's more of a stretch 4 type player whereas Garrison is a true post.  Personally I see Reese as a slightly better prospect because he's more versatile, but we'd be in excellent shape if we could land either one of them.  And it would be really nice to see a top flight athlete from AHS actually go to AU for once 

On August 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM, tigermac said:

He definitely is no lock for Mississippi State just because his dad is there.  I'd actually be kinda surprised if that's where he ended up. Also, Pearl was at a lot of his games, but he was also following Alex Reese who plays for Team Carroll alongside Garrison.  I think Reese is a little better fit for BP's offensive system, he's more of a stretch 4 type player whereas Garrison is a true post.  Personally I see Reese as a slightly better prospect because he's more versatile, but we'd be in excellent shape if we could land either one of them.  And it would be really nice to see a top flight athlete from AHS actually go to AU for once 

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/player/201608/alex-reese-breaks-down-his-top-5?utm_content=buffer84ecf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We are not in Alex Reese's top five

7 minutes ago, tigermac said:

Yeah I see he narrowed it down a couple days ago. That sucks

Think this means we will be going after GB now.

On 8/14/2016 at 9:29 PM, aujeff11 said:

Think this means we will be going after GB now.

GB may have moved into AU's take group before Reese eliminated us due to his great Summer camp work.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 10:27 PM, CameronCrazy said:

If we miss on Wendell Carter, then Garrison Brooks is a very important recruit that I personally think we need. Especially since this guys is in our backyard!

Never heard Wendall Carter's name as a major target FWIW.

On 9/10/2016 at 5:45 PM, tigermac said:

Got an offer from UNC today. Going to be tough to beat them out

AU sources are still confident we get GB even with the UNC offer FWIW.

Based off this read from today I really likes AU's chances...

Garrison Brooks is a top priority for Auburn in the 2017 recruiting class, and Bruce Pearl made sure the Auburn High forward knew it Wednesday night.

That’s when Pearl and three assistants - Chuck Person, Chad Dollar and Harris Adler - all made an in-home visit with Brooks and family.

“They brought everybody except Aubie,” Tamala Colquitt, Brooks’ mother, said. “It went really, really well. Having the whole staff there allowed them to do an incredible job presenting Auburn. Each staff member had a different perspective on why Garrison should go to Auburn. Their presentation was generated just for him and I thought that was truly special.”

Pearl and his assistants took advantage of the opportunity to go in-depth with Brooks. The staff touched on many subjects, including the Rivals150 four-star recruit joining their No. 1-ranked recruiting class as well as the benefits of him staying close to home.

“They talked about their plan for him, how he’d fit into their scheme and style of play,” Colquitt said. “They talked about who they already have committed in 2017 and what he would add to the class. They talked about going off to college versus being right here at home, how him being a hometown kid from the city of Auburn with his family, friends and community and how important it would be for everybody to be able to come and support him.

“It was exactly what he needed to hear.”

Colquitt is a proponent for Brooks staying close to home, but not only because he’s her son. She’s a basketball fan, an Alabama high school basketball fan, who would like to see the in-state colleges benefit from the in-state high school talent.

Colquitt also knows basketball. She’s been around it all her life. Colquitt’s brother, Mo Finley, played at UAB, and she is a former basketball hostess at Auburn.

“We haven’t had this type of talent in one class in forever,” Colquitt said. “Austin Wiley,John Petty, Jamal Johnson, Alex Reese, Herb Jones … with the 2017 class in Alabama being one of the best, if not the best, it’s been in a long time, it would be a travesty for our state to see those kids leave the state, the majority if not all of them.

“Me being an Alabama person, I’m for our colleges and universities in our state. We can’t get better letting our talent leave our state. We can’t put families in the seats when our kids are going elsewhere. We have to present a product that catches the eyes of our kids to keep them here in Alabama.”

Colquitt believes Pearl and his staff accomplished that Wednesday night during their in-home visit with Brooks.

“They did an incredible job,” Colquitt said. “You think living here in Auburn that you know everything about Auburn, but to hear the coaches talk to Garrison about recruiting, it was really, really great. They talked about everything he needed to hear.”

Brooks has heard a lot in the last week from coaches from several different colleges. North Carolina’s Roy Williams and Hubert Davis visited with Brooks on Saturday. Mississippi State, where Brooks’ father, George, is an assistant coach, visited Monday. Coaches from Georgia, SMU and Arizona State also have made in-home visits with Brooks.

Brooks will begin taking official visits later this month. He has a visit to Georgia scheduled for the Sept. 30-Oct. 2 and one to North Carolina for Oct. 7-9. Brooks also will take one to Auburn Sept. 23-25 or Oct. 21-23. He’s also considering visits to Arizona State, Mississippi State and SMU, among others.

“The colleges that are showing the most interest are the ones that get the most attention from him,” Colquitt said.

Brooks would like to make his college decision in November and sign during the early period, which runs Nov. 9-16.

“He’d like to sign in November and be able to focus on his senior season,” Colquitt said. “His ultimate goal is to win a state championship for the city of Auburn.”

Rivals ranks Brooks, who stands 6-foot-10 and weighs 230 pounds, the No. 127 overall player in the class.

Sounds like Mama knows what she's talking and I agree 100%. Looks promising to say the least. Good job to Bruce and staff for not short changing their recruiting pitch to this kid just because he's local too. 

I hope he stays in town! Although I can imagine getting an offer from UNC would be very enticing. This is great that we are giving kids of his caliber lots of stuff to think about. So excited to have Pearl and his staff at AU.

Archived