Kirk Herbstreit weighs in on Auburn

RunInRed

3 hours ago, keesler said:

I'm fine with this QB scenario.

Good to hear about Pettway.

Good for Brown I guess, but I hate like hell to hear that our young OL's are getting abused.  That can't be a good thing for our shaky QBs/RBs/WRs.

Re the young OLs getting abused, I realize this isn't necessarily where that came from but in a post-practice interview posted on this Site Robert Leff mentioned that our DL is so deep that we have walk-on OLs going against 5 stars.  He didn't say they were abused but his smile seemed to infer that, but again he was talking about walk ons.  

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The unsung hero of this may the best hire in the SEC...Herb Hand(Travis Williams may rank up there after this year as well). I think you'll see a well oiled machine at OL. It will pay huge dividends. Maybe not in the win-loss column but the run production will be noticeable.  I think...I hope.

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Really excited about Pettway. 

Yep. This was a guy that I was screaming for to be given a chance to play tailback. Thank God Gus wised up.

5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I watched him in the Alabama vs Mississippi Allstar game and he was a bruiser for sure. He runs over people instead of around them. With that in mind, does he have anything in his arsenal besides what I've described here? I saw him described above as Rudi but does he really have that big play ability?

Watch his hudl highlights. He's got some wiggles.

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think we will split the Clemson and LSU games. Jordan-Hare stadium at 8pm is a game changer in itself. The only thing I'm worried about, now that Jovon is gone, is what changes our offense between mid last season and this season. JJ/Sean White, bruiser rb(Pettway/ Barber), Kerryon, middle of the road WRs. I just don't see who is going to be there to make a difference between a bad Gus offense, and good Gus offense. I am excited to see if we have a breakout guy, though.

Bubba (Pettway) will actually hit the right hole.

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

My only fear is that at some point in practice, Derrick Brown(The immovable object) will meet Pettway(The unstoppable force). I live in Auburn and my wife has a lot of glass trinkets. I don't want to have to clean up after that earthquake. 

Derrick is not going against the 1s right now.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Derrick is not going against the 1s right now.

Ahh, but he may in the near future. The risk of a major catastrophe is too high. The city of Auburn needs to be prepared.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Watch his hudl highlights. He's got some wiggles.

I did and while they look good, his production against more mature competition is limited. I would love it if we had another Rudi Johnson in the backfield.

16 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I did and while they look good, his production against more mature competition is limited;

Ummm. He had over 1300 yards & 15 TDs going against some of the better competition in the state.

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ahh, but he may in the near future. The risk of a major catastrophe is too high. The city of Auburn needs to be prepared.

If Gus's history holds true don't bet on it. He prefers to have the O & D going against scout teams during the season.

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm told SW is the clear #1 with JJ making some noise. JF3 is #3.

Pettway is going to be a stud.

Derrick Brown is abusing the young OL's. 

All I've got. 

Sounds good and I hate to be negative but I have seen this circus before.  I have nothing against SW and I know he got beat up last year and was not healthy but guess what.  He is going to get beat up again this year.  What is Gus or Rhett going to do differently this year with the same QB and an unproven backfield?  I will say this, Gus better scrap the go long or WR screen as our bread and butter pass plays because the box will be stacked with Defenses daring SW to beat them with his arm.  We expected SW to be able to hold the ball while all of his passing options were long developing routes and he paid for it getting beat senseless.  If we do that again it will be a very long year.  If we use a TE, use RB's on screens and wheel routes, and have a slant route to get rid of the football we might have a chance.  Up to this point Gus has been too stubborn to change and I will believe it when I see it.  I hope everyone reading this can throw it back in my face around Thanksgiving.

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Sounds good and I hate to be negative but I have seen this circus before.  I have nothing against SW and I know he got beat up last year and was not healthy but guess what.  He is going to get beat up again this year.  What is Gus or Rhett going to do differently this year with the same QB and an unproven backfield?  I will say this, Gus better scrap the go long or WR screen as our bread and butter pass plays because the box will be stacked with Defenses daring SW to beat them with his arm.  We expected SW to be able to hold the ball while all of his passing options were long developing routes and he paid for it getting beat senseless.  If we do that again it will be a very long year.  If we use a TE, use RB's on screens and wheel routes, and have a slant route to get rid of the football we might have a chance.  Up to this point Gus has been too stubborn to change and I will believe it when I see it.  I hope everyone reading this can throw it back in my face around Thanksgiving.

He has supposedly gotten bigger & stronger FWIW.

I hope so.  It is just hard to believe that the last QB Auburn recruited out of HS to start a whole year for us was Brandon Cox and his last year was 9 years ago.  4 years into a coaching regime and being where we are at QB is depressing.  

My favorite Herbsteit "weigh ins":

October 2004 - Auburn is undefeated and has defeated 2 top 10 teams, if they run the table playing in the SEC they'll play for the national title.

November 2004 - Auburn is unbeaten and beat 4 top 10 teams along the way, if they win the SEC championship game they will be in the national championship game.

December 2004 - Well what you have to understand is unlike USC & Oklahoma, undefeated Auburn played the Citadel and that is hurting Auburn.

January 2005 - Auburn had a great season beating 5 top 10 teams including ACC champ Va Tech in the Sugar Bowl and a #2 final ranking is about right. 

18 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I agree with this if Gus does not fit the O to White's strengths. Run the same O as last year with White as the starter will be ugly. Just like last year. 

18 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

October 2004 - Auburn is undefeated and has defeated 2 top 10 teams, if they run the table playing in the SEC they'll play for the national title.

November 2004 - Auburn is unbeaten and beat 4 top 10 teams along the way, if they win the SEC championship game they will be in the national championship game.

December 2004 - Well what you have to understand is unlike USC & Oklahoma, undefeated Auburn played the Citadel and that is hurting Auburn.

January 2005 - Auburn had a great season beating 5 top 10 teams including ACC champ Va Tech in the Sugar Bowl and a #2 final ranking is about right. 

Herbie is a tool. 

I think naming Sean early indicates he is ready to tailor his O to Sean'so strengths.  That and Gus personally  working with the WRs.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

I very remember something along the lines of "If they beat Georgia...."  2004 still stings.

11 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Yep... he said if we beat Georgia, he would move us to #2 in the country. The weekend we beat Alabama, he stated he dropped us in the polls because we barely beat a bad Alabama team. When asked about USC barely getting a bad UCLA team, Herpies stated you can't go by the close score in a rivalry game....:-\

On 8/9/2016 at 9:22 AM, aucanucktiger said:

October 2nd, 2004 - Herbstreit @ pre-game, "I like Tennessee with this crowd, the home field will continue, with the Vols gettin it done."

October 2nd, 2004 - Herbstreit @ halftime, "I'd like to apologize to you (Fowler), my family, Lee Corso and everybody else for picking Tennessee."

August 2010 - Herbstreit agrees with me by predicting on several occasions Auburn is his surprise team and will go undefeated and win the SEC.

November 24th, 2010 - On Finebaum, Herbstreit craps the bed by predicting bammer will beat Auburn.

Defense is much improved I expect, offensive line improved, defensive backs definitely deeper and improved, linebackers will be stronger(not sure if strong enough), receivers very promising(look out for Eli and kid from Bradenton, Fl, tight end vastly improved so we question Sean White who is now healthy.  Healthy he can move this offense.

maybe best kicker in the country and you guys are still thinking 7 wins?  I'm not a sunshine pumper, but unless our competition have all vastly improved we win 9 or 10 games not including a bowl game.  The ball bounces right and we do better.

13 hours ago, 75 Walk On said:

Defense is much improved I expect, offensive line improved, defensive backs definitely deeper and improved, linebackers will be stronger(not sure if strong enough), receivers very promising(look out for Eli and kid from Bradenton, Fl, tight end vastly improved so we question Sean White who is now healthy.  Healthy he can move this offense.

maybe best kicker in the country and you guys are still thinking 7 wins?  I'm not a sunshine pumper, but unless our competition have all vastly improved we win 9 or 10 games not including a bowl game.  The ball bounces right and we do better.

Auburn is the one that will have to be vastly improved over last year to win that many games. Even tho preseason polls are just guesses, four of their competition are currently in the top 10.

Archived