2016 Fall Camp - Practice 6 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

No media viewing window today for the scrimmage but Gus met with the press, post practice ...

"Overall," Gus Malzahn said, "it was a solid day." Auburn's first scrimmage complete
To 3 QBs rotated with 1s and 2s. Malzahn said they held onto the ball and played well
Malzahn said the offensive emphasis was 60-40 run. "We weren't real fancy on either side."
Auburn will have another scrimmage this weekend. Malzahn not sure if he'll need it to name a starting QB
Everybody came out of the scrummage healthy, which Malzahn said was the best thing about it

@AUBlog

Gus Malzahn said Auburn scrimmage produced 'big plays on offense, big plays on defence. I thought that was pretty equal.'
Auburn will scrimmage again this weekend.
Freshman receiver Eli Stove 'made one catch that really stood out,' said Auburn's Gus Malzahn

@AUGoldMine

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of not publically not naming a starter even though Gus may know exactly who is starting. Big difference for Clemson to prepare for  AU with SW compared to JF3.

-- Three groups: Ones had 37 plays, twos had 29 and threes had the remainder of snaps.

-- Woody Barrett worked with the third team all day.

-- Field goal units went live during the scrimmage, as were punt returns.

-- Malzahn reiterates they hope to avoid having quarterbacks go live this fall but says it's a "possibility."

-- Defense tackled well. Not a whole lot that stood out negatively to Malzahn on that side of the ball. Defense kept it pretty basic today.

-- "I don't know about that," Malzahn says of if he needs another scrimmage before naming a quarterback. Team will scrimmage again this weekend.

-- Linebacker Tre' Williams is still day-to-day. "It won't be much longer."

-- Freshman running back Kam Martin protected football well. Needs more experience, but got a handful of carries.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/08/live_updates_auburns_gus_malza_20.html

7 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I like the idea of not publically not naming a starter even though Gus may know exactly who is starting. Big difference for Clemson to prepare for  AU with SW compared to JF3.

Don't they prep for JF3's running anyway going against Deshaun everyday?

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't they prep for JF3's running anyway going against Dewshaun everyday?

That's true but do you think they let Dewshaun go live in practice? Point being by not knowing our starter, they have to prepare for both QB's. It may not help, but for first game of season don't think it hurts either.

9 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Agreed. It will be a tough game and if this helps us out at all, then I am totally for it.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't they prep for JF3's running anyway going against Deshaun everyday?

If you believe the reported 40 times for the two, even working against a live Deshaun wouldn't prepare them for John's top speed.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If you believe the reported 40 times for the two, even working against a live Deshaun wouldn't prepare them for John's top speed.

Wasn't necessarily talking top speed. DW is very elusive.

23 minutes ago, CCslim said:

JJ scored twice 1 Pass 1 Run

JF3 Threw 1 TD pass

Thats it from the QB's

Trigga didn't have a good scrim I'm told. Missed tackle and blown assignment for the TD passes. 

"I just know I have to step up and help lead my team." -- RB Kamryn Pettway

"All of us bring something different to the table."

29 minutes ago, CCslim said:

JJ scored twice 1 Pass 1 Run

JF3 Threw 1 TD pass

Thats it from the QB's

@Auburnovertime says White threw a TD to Marcus White.

4 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Could we be seeing a return to more explosive plays?

The passing TD's came from a blown assignment and a missed tackle. Also there were no long runs, nothing over 20 yards, during a run oriented scrim. You decide. 

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The passing TD's came from a blown assignment and a missed tackle. Also there were no long runs, nothing over 20 yards, during a run oriented scrim. You decide. 

Lemmie guess.... vanilla play calling too?

Archived