2016 Fall Camp - Practice 8

RunInRed

Montavious Atkinson was 'most effective' defender in recent scrimmage. 'He's playing in his comfort zone,' says D-coordinator Kevin Steele
Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele says LB Darrell Williams 'is a smart player. A physical player who can run.'
Auburn coordinator Rhett Lashlee says quarterback race continues. 'Those guys are doing a good job not making it easy' to name a starter
Auburn O-coordinator Rhett Lashlee says naming a starting QB would be nice, but 'we're not going to hurry up and make the wrong decision.'
Auburn's Rhett Lashlee says tailback carries still undecided. 'Sometimes we have to get in a real game and see how it sorts itself out.'
Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee says this is big: 'The guys are playing at the tempo we want.'
Auburn's Rhett Lashlee says QB Sean White has 'proven to his teammates he's tough as nails and they can trust him.'

@AUGoldMine

Lashlee on Pettway: "He goes north and south as good as any back I have ever seen."

@JackWin74

Auburn DC Kevin Steele mentions Daniel Thomas as a young player that has showed emotional and physical maturity.
Auburn DC Kevin Steele on Darrell Williams: "I would have no problem putting him on the field. He's a smart football player."
Steele says Daniel Thomas "looks like a guy that has been doing it here for quite a long time."
Steele says LB Tre' Williams' ankle injury "will be fine" but won't comment on whether he practiced today or not.
Steele on Byron Cowart: "He's developed nicely." Won't comment on what specifically he's done well.

@matthewcstevens

Atkinson graded out highest in scrimmage 1.

AUBURN, Ala. — Linebacker play has been an issue for Auburn over the years, but the Tigers appear to be correcting course in preseason camp.

In fact, the best player in Auburn’s scrimmage Tuesday is one you haven’t heard much about in preseason camp.

Linebacker Montavious Atkinson scored the best among all defensive players Tuesday, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said. The safety-turned-linebacker was talked about plenty by teammates following the scrimmage, too.

"Really, to me, the star of the scrimmage was Montavious Atkinson," linebacker Deshaun Davis said Tuesday. "In our linebacker corps, if anything. He made a lot of great plays. Early on, freshman year, he struggled with picking up the defense."

Atkinson moved from safety to linebacker in the offseason.

"You can tell he's really been studying his playbook," Davis said. "He's really playing fast. He's making a lot of plays in the backfield. So I'm really proud of him."

Darrell Williams has also been impressive to the first-year Auburn coordinator.

“He’s obviously a smart player,” Steele said. “He’s a physical guy, he can run. He is developing nicely. I would have no problem with putting him on the field, at all.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Lashlee to Crepea, "it doesn't always have to something negative all the time."

:thumbsup: Rhett

Not according to all us geniuses on message boards.

• Like 1

I think the LBs this year are going to make a lot of people question why they weren't playing last year.

• Like 3

@bigbird  or anyone have an idea why CKS didn't want to say how Byron was progressing versus the run? Seemed odd to me.

Edited by ellitor

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@bigbird  or anyone have an idea why CKS didn't want to say how Byron was progressing versus the run? Seemed odd to me.

Not really sure. Maybe to keep the spotlight. Again, don't know. Just my speculation 

Just now, PDub said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense.

I feel the same way. The potential is there. I just hope we finally put it all together.

1 minute ago, The Plainsman said:

Steele with the great Q&A.  

Yeah. I'd be ok w/ Gus not doing pressers & letting CKS & CRL alternate everyday the rest of preseason. Unless he has an announcement it seems like a lot of Gus's pressers are same 'ol same 'ol.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think the LBs this year are going to make a lot of people question why they weren't playing last year.

I agree with this especially with MA, DW, and DD.

As for the qb situation the coaches would prefer JF3 win the job and are going to give him every opportunity too. He just fits what they want to do on offense alot better than SW. Even if SW starts against Clemson which is likely at this time JF3 will be the starter sooner rather than later imo. That is unless of course SW comes out and plays at an extremely high level and we are winning.

Edited by austudnt23
  • Like 2

Just now, ellitor said:

Yeah. I'd be ok w/ Gus not doing pressers & letting CKS & CRL alternate everyday the rest of preseason. Unless he has an announcement it seems like a lot of Gus's pressers are same 'ol same 'ol.

That was truly informative yet not over sharing.   

4 minutes ago, PDub said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense.

Defense has a chance to be special this year. We have some studs on defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

As for the qb situation the coaches would prefer JF3 win the job and are going to give him every opportunity too. He just fits what they want to do on offense alot better than SW. Even if SW starts against Clemson which is likely at this time JF3 will be the starter sooner rather than later imo. That is unless of course SW comes out and plays at an extremely high level and we are winning.

If they were so dead set on a DUAL qb I still wish we went after a guy that could already run & throw like Jerod Evans instead of taking a guy that has to learn to throw.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I expect this to be the case! I want whomever is the best player to play, but I expect Sean to quiet his critics.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

LOL, you get 10x more out of the player interviews too.