2016 Fall Camp - Practice 8

RunInRed

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Does anyone have an update on Marshall Taylor?

Only Gus comments on player statuses & he doesn't talk again til Saturday. He would be nice to have for a 3rd or 4th CB.

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I didn't watch much of Evans video.  How was he as a runner?

Not JF3's speed but good enough to be dangerous at both running & passing.

32 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree with this especially with MA, DW, and DD.

As for the qb situation the coaches would prefer JF3 win the job and are going to give him every opportunity too. He just fits what they want to do on offense alot better than SW. Even if SW starts against Clemson which is likely at this time JF3 will be the starter sooner rather than later imo. That is unless of course SW comes out and plays at an extremely high level and we are winning.

That seems like a recipe for disaster ... 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

To me as well, in other news we have linebackers?  ;)

I think  the CKS comment on not commenting on Byron was to keep the public pressure off of Cowart. He did not respond well to that last year and I think they are trying to shield this kid from unwanted expectations. They don't want to criticize the kid and have the media and message boards take it and run with it. JMHO

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I think  the CKS comment on not commenting on Byron was to keep the public pressure off of Cowart. He did not respond well to that last year and I think they are trying to shield this kid from unwanted expectations. They don't want to criticize the kid and have the media and message boards take it and run with it. JMHO

Agreed. It'd be nice to have him show out during game 1, coming from nowhere

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I don't think it would be as bad as I seems. I fully believe SW could  get us past a Clemson defense, but when we get to the big time SEC defenses JF3 would be the better option. Again that's just my opinion that even if SW starts vs Clemson JF3 will end up being the starter sooner thereafter. 

3 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I don't think it would be as bad as I seems. I fully believe SW could  get us past a Clemson defense, but when we get to the big time SEC defenses JF3 would be the better option. Again that's just my opinion that even if SW starts vs Clemson JF3 will end up being the starter sooner thereafter. 

How many SEC defenses will be better than Clemson?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I think the LBs this year are going to make a lot of people question why they weren't playing last year.

Some of us were asking why they weren't playing last year last year! :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

How many SEC defenses will be better than Clemson?

If we beat Clemson with Sean, he is our best. Few defenses are better, fewer SEC teams are better than Clemson.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, alexava said:

If we beat Clemson with Sean, he is our best. Few defenses are better, fewer SEC teams are better than Clemson.  

Debatable at best about the defenses. Clemson lost 7 starters off of last year's defense. UAT, LSU, A&M, and UGA will all have better defenses than Clemson imo. I am not saying this is a plan to let SW start vs Clemson then pull him for JF3. I am saying IMO even if SW starts vs Clemson JF3 will WIN the job from him sooner rather than later. I don't see how this would be a recipe for disaster at all really. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Defense has a chance to be special this year. We have some studs on defense.

I would be ecstatic to see a real AU defense on the field again.  D wins championships most consistently.  

wde

36 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Debatable at best about the defenses. Clemson lost 7 starters off of last year's defense. UAT, LSU, A&M, and UGA will all have better defenses than Clemson imo. I am not saying this is a plan to let SW start vs Clemson then pull him for JF3. I am saying IMO even if SW starts vs Clemson JF3 will WIN the job from him sooner rather than later. I don't see how this would be a recipe for disaster at all really. 

I don't particular disagree about JF3 playing QB later, but if we are winning games, you don't change QB's. You change QB's because things are not going good.

26 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I don't particular disagree about JF3 playing QB later, but if we are winning games, you don't change QB's. You change QB's because things are not going good.

And that's the whole issue, the recipe for disaster that was referenced. You don't pull the QB during a winning streak, especially if that includes taking down what will likely be the #2 team in the country. 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

And that's the whole issue, the recipe for disaster that was referenced. You don't pull the QB during a winning streak, especially if that includes taking down what will likely be the #2 team in the country. 

You put the best player on the field whether you are winning games or not as long as it does not mess with team chemistry. Sure if we are 4-1 or 5-0 through this stretch run and SW has been the starter stay with the hot hand. I think it would be a transition that happens during Arky State game. This may all be a mute point anyway if JF3 wins the job during camp. The race is tighter atm than alot of people think.  Again this is all my opinion and I am not a football coach. I give info that I am able to obtain, but this is not info coming from anyone but me. I do know and this is a fact that the coaches prefer JF3 is able 2 win the job.

26 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Not a chance.

Maybe not but We shall see. Remember we are getting Clemson the first game of the year at home with 7 new starters on their defense. Clemson is not UAT or LSU that can reload on defense without missing a beat. They lost 7 starters off of their defense including studs like Lawson, Dodd, and Alexander. North Carolina and UAT fared pretty well against last year's defense. A&M will have one of the best tandem of de in the country. I also think Mack who will be a sophomore this year will be one of the better dt in the SEC.

Edited by austudnt23

10 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Yes it is. Not sure who 23 is taking to but the guy's I've talked to say JF3 is no where near ready to play QB in the SEC. No where. 

16 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Maybe not but We shall see. Clemson is not UAT or LSU that can reload on defense without missing a beat. They lost 7 starters off of their defense including studs like Lawson, Dodd, and Alexander. North Carolina and UAT fared pretty well against last year's defense. A&M will have one of the best tandem of de in the country. I also think Mack who will be a sophomore this year will be one of the better dt in the SEC.

They lost 7 starters the year prior and reloaded, but according to you and MANY others, Venables can't do it again?

6 of their starters are upperclassmen with experience. Plus Soph DE Austin Bryant got PT last season and filled in for Shaq Lawson v OU and did very well. DE Clelin Ferrell had 4 sacks in their last scrimmage.

You aren't the only one that is vastly underestimating their defense.

A&M has little to no quality in their back 7.

Edited by VipersStrike1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes it is. Not sure who 23 is taking to but the guy's I've talked to say JF3 is no where near ready to play QB in the SEC. No where. 

He said above " this is not info coming from anyone but me "

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Heard the same ...

2 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

IMO if you have played QB for most of your time playing football and still have accuracy issues, you aren't ready to start in the SEC.

There's the fly in the ointment. Two years at FSU, one at JUCO and a spring and summer at AU and the accuracy issues are still there? Will they ever go away? Not likely in my opinion. It may be time to work JF3 at kick returner, he's got some SPEED.

• Like 1