2016 Fall Camp - Practice 8

RunInRed

I think what 23 is saying is, if JF3 is able to pass at X % of SW (pick a threshold %), then JF3's running ability more than offsets the difference, adds the benefit of putting more pressure on the defense and opens up the offense for others. I'm not sure there is much to argue about a logical statement like that. That statement doesn't mean it will happen. To that point, his opinion is that JF3 will eventually meet that threshold and make it happen.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 5

i dont have time or the ability to find what our success rate (TD vs FG) is when exchanging quarterbacks in the red zone but i would like to see those numbers.  (considering fieldgoals are achievable without changing the quarterback)  also the percentage of turnovers

Edited by auskip07

Travis Williams is going to take the improvement of last season and multiply it by 10 before this group is done. The old LBU is returning....in my opinion.

• Like 1

I hate the wildcat. And I especially hate rotating QBs. If coaches want JF3 fine, make him the man and stick with it. But if SW is clearly better at this time and wins the job he needs to be the QB until his play dictates otherwise. IMO, rotating disturbs rythym of the offense and I don't understand why you would replace a QB that is winning games. 

• Like 2

I agree. Can we not develop a short and medium passing game to balance the offense rather than being dependent on an agile QB. We have a wealth of guys that could be dangerous if we can get the ball to them besides just JF3. 

FTR I'm not rooting against JF3. I just want the coaches to put the best option on the field and stick with that guy. And that includes if SW wins the job not pulling him in the redzone!!!

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

I think what 23 is saying is, if JF3 is able to pass at X % of SW (pick a threshold %), then JF3's running ability more than offsets the difference, adds the benefit of putting more pressure on the defense and opening up the offense for others. I'm not sure what there is to argue with a logical statement like that. That statement doesn't mean it will happen. To that point, his opinion is that JF3 will eventually meet that threshold and make it happen.

Exactly, the defense having to focus more on the run will make for easier throws for the QB. A la Jeremy Johnson vs Arkansas 2014. However, in the redzone our passing game is limited which is another reason I think JFIII can be more valuable.

Whenever we need to pass it we'll put Sean White in at QB; whenever we want to run it, we'll put in JF3...then we'll disguise it with a bunch of crazy formations and motion.  The defense will never catch on.

16 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Whenever we need to pass it we'll put Sean White in at QB; whenever we want to run it, we'll put in JF3...then we'll disguise it with a bunch of crazy formations and motion.  The defense will never catch on.

So you're saying a continuation of last year's offense, post Sean's injury, but with a QB who can really run instead of Jeremy?

16 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Defense has a chance to be special this year. We have some studs on defense.

I would be ecstatic to see a real AU defense on the field again.  D wins championships most consistently.  

wde

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

So you're saying a continuation of last year's offense, post Sean's injury, but with a QB who can really run instead of Jeremy?

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

wde

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

You mean like when Kiehl Frazier and Jeremy Johnson threw the ball as the redzone Wildcat QB?

The last 2 players, that weren't the starting QB, who threw passes out of the Wildcat, were Jason Smith and Uzomah.

Combined stats: 1-3, -1 yards, 1 INT.

This is what drives my nuts into the bleachers! Why Gus feels the need to bring in someone with very little passing skills(Kodi, CJ, Kiehl, etc.) blows my mind! I hate this worse than the mildcat, hurry up run over center or the very seldom successful WR screen.

4 hours ago, autig90 said:

Smith and Uzomah weren't actively practicing at QB either, so you are comparing apples and oranges to make your point.

Where in my statement did I make it exclusive to QBs???

I purposely stated " that weren't the starting QB "

That statement includes backup QBs, RBs, WRs, TEs...ANY eligible position.

It was to point out both Frazier & Jeremy Johnson (esp the former) have been used multiple times in the Wildcat, but have never thrown a pass out of it, thus eliminating the defense's urgency of covering eligible receivers.

Edited by VipersStrike1

It was to point out both Frazier & Jeremy Johnson (esp the former) have been used multiple times in the Wildcat, but have never thrown a pass out of it, thus eliminating the defense's urgency of covering eligible receivers.

This is the problem!  When AU goes wildcat, the defense knows a run is coming and who is running it.

5 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

This is the problem!  When AU goes wildcat, the defense knows a run is coming and who is running it.

Like I stated earlier, Kerryon had 3 TDs (his ONLY TDs) running the Wildcat.

Love it or hate it, expect to see more.

I used to hate the wildcat. I felt like it had a ceiling of a 3 yard run.

Since KJ has started running it, I've liked it a lot more. That 4th & 1 he converted against Arkansas and then ended up hurdling a defender and turning it into a 20 yard again, was something else. 

Do we give it to the sweep guy in the wildcat very often? It seemed like the guy receiving the snap seemed to always keep the ball.  I could be totally off base here though.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Do we give it to the sweep guy in the wildcat very often? It seemed like the guy receiving the snap seemed to always keep the ball.  I could be totally off base here though.

Last time I recall it happening was McCalebb from Cam.

It's possible Jason Smith had a carry from it.

Edited by VipersStrike1

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Jason Smith scored on that play in the Arkansas game, but yes its normally a keep.

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Last time I recall it happening was McCalebb from Cam.

LOL as many times as we have run out of the wildcat in 6 years we have to look all the way back to 2010 to when we actually utilized the sweep guy consistently? Oh man