image.jpg

via Facebook/FootballAU

image.jpg

via Facebook/FootballAU

image.png

via Facebook/FootballAU

Catch Up: Fall Practice Schedule / Links to Previous Practice Updates

• Like 1

Great news on the injury front and I could see k mart playing a role similar to dyer in his freshman year. On the QB race, my gut tells me it's between JJ and one of the other 2 with JJ having a slight edge right now. Nothing to back that up just a feeling I've had for a while now .

• Like 1

"Our quarterback has to be more of a runner this year. I don't care who it is." -- that might be the most direct thing Gus has ever said to the media haha. That certainly confirms that they are hoping JF3 takes the reigns, to me.

• Like 1

Given that Malzahn said "Our quarterback has to be more of a runner this year. I don't care who it is.",  I really don't think JJ is a big runner.

SW has questionable legs so that leaves one that has better running ability.....

One other quote I found very interesting and may have tipped his hand: "We've always had a Wildcat type guy and we've always had a starter."  This is from the same press conference.  This comes across to me JFIII is not the starter, but then again all I can do is speculate.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

IMO Gus' statement that our starting QB will need to be MORE of a runner this year may be the most insightful QB comment we've received from him in weeks and JJ & JF3 may be delighted. If that is a significant part of Gus criteria this season, is Sean really currently capable of being MORE of a runner than he was last year? Indications are he is still a pocket passer that can run when needed (different from a designed-run QB) and let's face it, when corralled (which would probably be more often than the boarderline waifish JF3), SW is thrown around like a rag doll. Just saying.

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

"Our quarterback has to be more of a runner this year. I don't care who it is." -- that might be the most direct thing Gus has ever said to the media haha. That certainly confirms that they are hoping JF3 takes the reigns, to me.

Agree. Still hard for to see JF3 starting game 1 though but IF the statement is true we should expect to see a good bit of him which may lead up to him starting by game 3 or 4. We shall see but now it's more clear to me understanding how Buddy(JF3's JUCO HC) was often frustrated at times when it came to JF3 being that if he can just find a little consistency he changes the dynamic of an offense in addition to his other abilities. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

IMO Gus' statement that our starting QB will need to be MORE of a runner this year may be the most insightful QB comment we've received from him in weeks and JJ & JF3 may be delighted. If that is a significant part of Gus criteria this season, is Sean really currently capable of being MORE of a runner than he was last year? Indications are he is still a pocket passer that can run when needed (different from a designed-run QB) and let's face it, when corralled (which would probably be more often than the boarderline waifish JF3), SW is thrown around like a rag doll. Just saying.

I'd love to see some clips of all these times that a healthy Sean White was corralled and thrown around like a rag doll last year. I do remember a couple times he forced bad passes after keeping a play alive with his feet, but that's something different. 

• Like 1

I'm on record as stating i think JF3 has a higher ceiling and eventually would like to see him as our starter but i'm not sure if i want him thrown out there game 1 against Clemson as the starter. SW is not a horrible runner so i don't think the statement by Gus necessarily eliminates him for Gus to have that running option. SW wouldn't run as much as the other two QBs of course as the starter. I'm not aware of SW's ratio of designed runs vs. running for his life avoiding the rush for last year but if he can handle 5-8 rushing attempts a game and average 4-5 yards on those attempts that would still put our offense in a good position. My biggest worry is if he could hold up physically and i'm just not really confident about that factor at all. With JF3 there is his speed and elusiveness to possibly avoid big hits. Have to give SW credit though b/c he's shown his a very tough kid. He took some big hits last year and bounced up and kept going. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Great news on the injury front and I could see k mart playing a role similar to dyer in his freshman year. On the QB race, my gut tells me it's between JJ and one of the other 2 with JJ having a slight edge right now. Nothing to back that up just a feeling I've had for a while now .

:slapfh:

just joking with you JMassie

"Malzahn says Tony Stevens has "a minor thing" but is expected back in a few days"

Does anyone know which leg they amputated?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

oh lawd. Malzahn is going to rile everyone up.

All the man has to do is order hashbrowns to get a lot of folks around here riled up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

oh lawd. Malzahn is going to rile everyone up.

I'm on record as stating i think JF3 has a higher ceiling but i'm not sure if i want him thrown out there game 1 against Clemson. SW is not a horrible runner so i don't think the statement by Gus necessarily eliminates him for Gus to have that option. SW wouldn't run as much as the other two QBs of course as the starter. I'm not aware of SW's ratio of designed runs vs. running for his life that he had last year but if he can handle 5-8 rushing attempts a game and average 4-5 yards on those attempts that would still put our offense in a good position. My biggest worry is if he could hold up physically and i'm just not really confident about that factor at all. With JF3 there is his speed and elusiveness to possibly avoid big hits. 

lol. True. And possibly do the total opposite of what he said. As long as it works i'm fine with it but i'd honestly feel bad for SW if we're trying to make him fit something that's not really suited best for him. 

There were several plays last year, that if White had taken the run option, he had an open field, but I think they were so worried about him getting injured, they played it safe. 

This year, I think since the competition is so close, he would run White more if he is indeed the starter as he has capable backups. 

It really makes you scratch your head hearing him say that as his recruiting before did not indicate he wanted a running QB (Queen and White) and now we have turned a 180 and are behind on development time. 

2 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

There were several plays last year, that if White had taken the run option, he had an open field, but I think they were so worried about him getting injured, they played it safe. 

This year, I think since the competition is so close, he would run White more if he is indeed the starter as he has capable backups. 

It really makes you scratch your head hearing him say that as his recruiting before did not indicate he wanted a running QB (Queen and White) and now we have turned a 180 and are behind on development time. 

Sigh.

• Like 1

It'll be JJ. I can feel it. One thing I think will go into that decision, along with SW not having the legs, is the fact that we open this season on a hugggge stage. There is no way JF3 would come out of that game mistake free. 

3 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

I think it says that Gus has finally accepted what some of us have been thinking for years - that his offense NEEDS to have a true running QB threat in order to be more successful than an 8-5 or 9-4 team in the SEC. 

I know what he did with Chris Todd and others at Tulsa and Arky State, but in the SEC his offense needs a Cam Newton/Nick Marshall type to get over that 8 or 9 win hump.  It's just not as effective here without that run threat due to the superior defensive talent and speed in the SEC. 

Personally, I hope JJ has been concentrating on his running and zone read skills in the off-season (even though he doesn't 'like' to run), but that's just me...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It'll be JJ. I can feel it. One thing I think will go into that decision, along with SW not having the legs, is the fact that we open this season on a hugggge stage. There is no way JF3 would come out of that game mistake free. 

Agreed, I don't think they can put JFIII out there this early but I also don't see JJ coming out of the game mistake free. I just hope whoever starts can get the W and build on that confidence.