Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That's great if all we need to do to score is run, but that is not going to happen against the good teams in the SEC.

They are going to FORCE the QB to throw, and Cam and especially Marshall were and will show they are MUCH better passers than JFIII. I was at the ADay game, and i saw some ugly trajectories of JFIII passes. lol

I mean, it seems obvious, right? 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I get what you are saying.  I also think a more diverse, less elementary, upgraded passing game (in terms of routes and play calls)  would be really helpful as well for our QBs.

wde

Yep, the route tree could use an upgrade.

1 minute ago, 75 Walk On said:

I'm a fan of throwing very deep right off to send a message to the defense.

Is that message, "Hurry up and grab your helmet guys. Another 3 and out."

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That's great if all we need to do to score is run, but that is not going to happen against the good teams in the SEC.

They are going to FORCE the QB to throw, and Cam and especially Marshall were and will show they are MUCH better passers than JFIII. I was at the ADay game, and i saw some ugly trajectories of JFIII passes. lol

I can't speak for all of the "running QB" people but I suspect most of us aren't enamored with JF3 either, based on what those who have actually seen him have said.  It's not that "we want him", but rather we just wish AU had that TYPE of QB ready to run this offense.

If he's really THAT bad as some suggest then I'd rather have SW or JJ go ahead and take the reins... Just tired of settling for the best available QB on the roster and ready for the BEST QB to run the Gus O.

...and based on Gus' last presser re: QB's it sounds like he's reached that point too.

6 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I must be alone in thinking that the reason it is taking such a long time to name a starter is because wants to give it to JJ but wants to keep the pressure off him as long as possible.. I mean we didn't hear that the decision was delayed until JJ hurt his hand...

If JJ can't handle the pressure??? He's a senior......

49 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Is that message, "Hurry up and grab your helmet guys. Another 3 and out."

Worked pretty well in 04 not to mention for Reggie Slack among others.  Hey, it's much better than telegraphing by running the Wildcat.

Who wants to bet that the announcement goes something like this " After a good battle for the QB position all fall we have decided to start Sean White. All of the guys have competed hard and are fully capable of running our entire offense. We have great faith in all three candidates and this is not a closed decision. We will continue to evaluate after each game to decide who beat suits us."?

the most open answer to a question we can possibly get.

it doesn't matter either way the JFIII crowd will critique every error made by the other two if he isn't the starter and so it will go for SW and JJ too.

I like SW as our starting QB. Not to say I believe the rumor, quite yet. I don't see the arm strength problem though, is anyone else with me? Seems he has the arm to make any throws, really can put some heat on the ball too. I also feel it would be very difficult for a QB with poor arm strength to win the elite 11, considering arm strength, accuracy and decision making have to make up most of their grading criteria. 

Im still disappointed in JJ. That kid looked like he could take over our offense as a freshman (and in '14 as well) and run in to perfection. It's a shame he couldn't make it. I would have loved to see him run Gus's offense with his full potential. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I hope it's Sean White.  The QB's primary job should be to distribute the ball to his play makers, but we've become used to our QB being our primary play maker (Cam and Nick spoiled us).  We don't have a Cam or a Nick this year and our strength is our defense. We need a quarterback who can get the ball to our best players and keep us as mistake-free as possible.  If we don't make mistakes we can rely on our defense and take advantage of opportunities they give our offense.

30 minutes ago, weagle06 said:

Who wants to bet that the announcement goes something like this " After a good battle for the QB position all fall we have decided to start Sean White. All of the guys have competed hard and are fully capable of running our entire offense. We have great faith in all three candidates and this is not a closed decision. We will continue to evaluate after each game to decide who beat suits us."?

the most open answer to a question we can possibly get.

it doesn't matter either way the JFIII crowd will critique every error made by the other two if he isn't the starter and so it will go for SW and JJ too.

You should sell that to save them time. 

I agree, I'm fine with whoever is the best... but I think SW can do it.

I think that his injury not only affected his delivery, strength, and accuracy... but I think maybe if he's truly healthy then it has also thrown off his mechanics a bit and it's still affecting him some... and he still needs the reps and full speed play / scrimmage to get back to where he was at around the Arkansas game and before the injury...  to get the confidence in his body / mechanics back, get his feel, timing and his touch back.

I think he's got grit, and seems to be a gamer. If he's healthy and can plant on his leg full speed without favoring the other leg or just using all arm w / out proper mechanics I think he can make the throws and run the offense.. I worry due to his sporadic play and passing, that his injury is still bothering or affecting him more than we are led to believe or he's still just not quite 100%.. Only Sean knows,

I know one thing for sure...

he will play even if he's hurt. He had no business even trying to play in the Alabama game. Pure guts. The coaches should have never let him play in the first place, and especially after that first series they should have sat him down.

Edit:
Just went back and watched the Arkansas game last year to refresh my memory of what SW looked like when healthy. There's no doubt he can do it cause he already has. He was spreading it all over the field with some zip on the ball, over the middle and pushing it down field too.. If it weren't for all those drops that's a totally different game and all of the drops could have been caught.

That offense looked pretty good, really mixed it up, might be close to what we could see if SW gets the nod and gets back to his old form... and could work pretty well with Pettway taking over for Barber and KJ in the backfield too... JF III wildcat with a pass threat package. JJ could still be used in short yardage like he was on the goal line. If we have a better D, and must have some Receivers that can catch AND block... and O line gels like we think and we might just upset some folks.

4 hours ago, Au4life23 said:

Didnt see anyone talking about it. https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/report-auburn-to-name-starting-qb-this-week-and-there-is-a-front-runner

Brandon Marcello says Shaun is front runner and Gus will name the starter this week.

I saw that. We will need the pass this year. He might be the guy.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:36 PM, johnnyAU said:

You don't know what the coaches want. You might think you know. 

I think the coaches know what they want, but want what they know. We will see 2 QBs for a good bit of the season. This is not really a bad thing if both QBs can deliver different offensive weapons that will keep defenses on their heels. What is SWs forty time?

I'm sure very few will agree with me on this.  Based on potential alone, I see JJ as having the highest  ceiling with the best chance of us winning the most games. 

I also see JJ As having the biggest and best chance of us not winning enough games to qualify for a Bowl game.

I think SW will get the  start simply  because he is the most consistent  qb we have. 

I I do not think how ever he is dynamic enough to carry us to the promised land.

7 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I'm sure very few will agree with me on this.  Based on potential alone, I see JJ as having the highest  ceiling with the best chance of us winning the most games. 

I also see JJ As having the biggest and best chance of us not winning enough games to qualify for a Bowl game.

I think SW will get the  start simply  because he is the most consistent  qb we have. 

I I do not think how ever he is dynamic enough to carry us to the promised land.

I actually agree with you especially about JJ. I think SW will also start because he is the most consistent with JF3 coming in with certain packages (that will probably break momentum).   If our O has to have a dynamic QB (like Cam or Nick) to take us to the promised land, then we are running the wrong O.

wde

9 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

Edit:
Just went back and watched the Arkansas game last year to refresh my memory of what SW looked like when healthy. There's no doubt he can do it cause he already has. He was spreading it all over the field with some zip on the ball, over the middle and pushing it down field too.. If it weren't for all those drops that's a totally different game and all of the drops could have been caught.

That offense looked pretty good, really mixed it up, might be close to what we could see if SW gets the nod and gets back to his old form... and could work pretty well with Pettway taking over for Barber and KJ in the backfield too... JF III wildcat with a pass threat package. JJ could still be used in short yardage like he was on the goal line. If we have a better D, and must have some Receivers that can catch AND block... and O line gels like we think and we might just upset some folks.

But he performed so poorly in the scrimmage    :-\

I went back and looked at jj's arky game. He was even more impressive than sw in his game....And he's not good now sooooo. Yeah drops.....That's it. It was all drops. Also everybody talk drops but on that third and forever that was converted that Ricardo caught that was thrown behind him but he reached out and grabbed one hand.....there is always a yin to the yang. But yeah it's everybody on offense fault except the qb...

10 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

I agree, I'm fine with whoever is the best... but I think SW can do it.

I think that his injury not only affected his delivery, strength, and accuracy... but I think maybe if he's truly healthy then it has also thrown off his mechanics a bit and it's still affecting him some... and he still needs the reps and full speed play / scrimmage to get back to where he was at around the Arkansas game and before the injury...  to get the confidence in his body / mechanics back, get his feel, timing and his touch back.

I think he's got grit, and seems to be a gamer. If he's healthy and can plant on his leg full speed without favoring the other leg or just using all arm w / out proper mechanics I think he can make the throws and run the offense.. I worry due to his sporadic play and passing, that his injury is still bothering or affecting him more than we are led to believe or he's still just not quite 100%.. Only Sean knows,

I know one thing for sure...

he will play even if he's hurt. He had no business even trying to play in the Alabama game. Pure guts. The coaches should have never let him play in the first place, and especially after that first series they should have sat him down.

Edit:

I agree, if he HAD tried to play that bammer game it would've been pure guts....But we knew what was going to happen that game so the other guy had to play against them...of course we know what happened....what would've happened with the other qb. Bammer secondary was ridiculous last year. Every starter and the nickel was a freshman who more than likely will be a first round pick, will be NFL players. SEC, tough league.

it appears that everyone is Team White except a few of us.  Honestly I think we are screwed with White and some you wont forgive JJ for last season.  You seem to forget that white was just as bad as JJ was in the bowl game (Let me guess he was injured)  at that point in the season nobody is 100% healthy.  White may be a good passer but he's not a fit in the Malzan offense.  Whether any of you want to admit it Malzan would prefer a stable of running QB's all of his top choices are dual threats.  Malzan and Chip Kelly are the same in terms of mindset and offensive perspective.  Sam Bradford as solid as he is, was not a fit in Chip Kelly offense just as much as white is unless he is willing to take some hits and run at least 10 times per game.  What was our signature win last year and who was the quarter back, I would say TAMU?   Please don't give me the chris todd reference cause we went 3-5 in SEC play.  We cant keep rotating QB's in the redzone because that is when sean white weaknesses are exposed.  we also can't keep wearing the RB's down like we did to Peyton last year by saying we are just gonna run it.  FG's will lose games for you, give me a guy that can run the entire malzan offense and we build around him.  Not someone who will never run the ball on the read option that we have ran for years with success.  WDE

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I went back and looked at jj's arky game. He was even more impressive than sw in his game....And he's not good now sooooo. Yeah drops.....That's it. It was all drops. Also everybody talk drops but on that third and forever that was converted that Ricardo caught that was thrown behind him but he reached out and grabbed one hand.....there is always a yin to the yang. But yeah it's everybody on offense fault except the qb...

We also forget that Ricardo was the guy who caught the ball against UGA in '13. I don't care what anybody says, the intelligence to put himself in the only position where he'd have a chance and the concentration to haul it in were amazing. And he was pretty good with the ball in his hands. And he was a soldier for this team through good years and bad. But I don't think he was the guy to bail out his QB like I think Duke did for Nick a few times in '14 or like Mike Evans did every Saturday for Manziel. (To be fair, I'm not sure I've ever seen a quarterback owe his first paycheck to a receiver more than Manziel owed Evans his.) I love the guy and I argued like hell that he should and would get drafted, but I won't remember him for his hands like a Darvin Adams or a Courtney Taylor or even an Emory Blake.

Sorry... way more words about Ricardo than I should have typed in a QB thread. We agree that the drops excuse just for Sean is BS, because it applied equally to both QBs. But I do think that both QBs dealt with sub-par WR play in '15, and I feel like- '14 IB excluded- our WR play has steadily declined under Gus. This year we find out if it was a CDC problem or a Gus problem. Like you said, no excuses now.

29 minutes ago, willieguns said:

it appears that everyone is Team White except a few of us.  Honestly I think we are screwed with White and some you wont forgive JJ for last season.  You seem to forget that white was just as bad as JJ was in the bowl game (Let me guess he was injured)  at that point in the season nobody is 100% healthy.  White may be a good passer but he's not a fit in the Malzan offense.  Whether any of you want to admit it Malzan would prefer a stable of running QB's all of his top choices are dual threats.  Malzan and Chip Kelly are the same in terms of mindset and offensive perspective.  Sam Bradford as solid as he is, was not a fit in Chip Kelly offense just as much as white is unless he is willing to take some hits and run at least 10 times per game.  What was our signature win last year and who was the quarter back, I would say TAMU?   Please don't give me the chris todd reference cause we went 3-5 in SEC play.  We cant keep rotating QB's in the redzone because that is when sean white weaknesses are exposed.  we also can't keep wearing the RB's down like we did to Peyton last year by saying we are just gonna run it.  FG's will lose games for you, give me a guy that can run the entire malzan offense and we build around him.  Not someone who will never run the ball on the read option that we have ran for years with success.  WDE

Not everyone had a torn PCL. Every coach in the country would like a Cam Newton or DeShaun Watson that have all the tools.  That doesn't mean Gus wants "stable of running QB's".  I'll bet he'd be fine with just some good QB's that executed the offense and didn't turn it over, regardless of style.  If they can run too, then even better. 

9 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

Actually, I think most people agree with you about that. Although I and many others are withholding judgment on that last part. 

Archived