Television Shows

Seems we're discussing a few across multiple topics. Why not have a catch-all thread?

I'm in dire need of a new show to watch. I'm primarily interested in shows available on the streaming services. We typically like to alternate nights of comedy and drama  

Before any recommends Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Wire, True Detective, Stranger Things: I've watched them all. 

We recently finished Mr. Robot season 1 and Love(Netflix Apatow show). 

I have no interest in comic book universe shows. 

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Seems we're discussing a few across multiple topics. Why not have a catch-all thread?

I'm in dire need of a new show to watch. I'm primarily interested in shows available on the streaming services. We typically like to alternate nights of comedy and drama  

Before any recommends Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Wire, True Detective, Stranger Things: I've watched them all. 

We recently finished Mr. Robot season 1 and Love(Netflix Apatow show). 

I have no interest in comic book universe shows. 

Walking Dead, surely you are not calling it non-interest? i have never cracked a comic book but TWD is the most addictive show i have ever watched. "24" is right up there with Breaking Bad. I just finished "Friday Night Lights", very good. "The Killing" was awesome. Sons of Anarchy is MUST SEE.

Edited by alexava

I'm a season behind on TWD since I canceled cable. Going to binge it whenever it hits Netflix. I stayed up to date with the comics for a long time. When I said "comic book universe" I was more referring to shows like Gotham, Daredevil, Agents of Shield and the like  

I should also say that I can't recall a single network show I've enjoyed in a long time. That doesn't include FX, AMC, etc. 

Been thinking about checking out Sons of Anarchy. Also Justified because I like Timothy Olyphant...and the guy with the big teeth(can't remember his name, but he was awesome in Hateful 8 and currently Vice Principals on HBO). 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

If you like the slightly risque, action, drama type stuff, check out Banshee.  It was on Showtime.  I think they did 4 seasons.  I hated the way they ended it and that they ended it.

I've been enjoying Ballers too.

Edited by tgr4lfe

The Fall on Netflix.  It's fantastic.  Bloodline on Netflix is also great.  I haven't finished it, but All or Nothing (follows the Arizona Cardinals) on Amazon Prime is really good as well.  Being from DC, I always say House of Cards too. 

I"ll go against type here and suggest some other options if you didn't catch them when they were on network TV and I have no idea how old you are:

Friday Night Lights
Parenthood
The West Wing
Frasier
The Americans

• Like 1

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but Better Call Saul is on my list.

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but Better Call Saul is on my list.

let me know how that is. i watched the first two episodes and just didn't get into it.

As far as network shows that can be watched "on demand" style, two of my favorites are, "The Blacklist" and "The Goldbergs". Also, I'm not sure if you can stream it or not but "Vikings" from the History Channel is also really good.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I"ll go against type here and suggest some other options if you didn't catch them when they were on network TV and I have no idea how old you are:

Friday Night Lights
Parenthood
The West Wing
Frasier
The Americans

Frasier...good one Niles is great

1 hour ago, EagleFlight34 said:

Haven't heard of this; what is it about?

Crime/murder mystery. From what I can tell, and what I've been told, it's like the Serial podcast(season 1). 

Basic plot: guy meets girl, they get messed up, guy blacks out and wakes up to find her dead. Cops pick him up and bring him in where he's charged with the murder because a neighbor saw him leave her house(and break back in to get his car keys). 

On 8/22/2016 at 3:54 PM, alexava said:

let me know how that is. i watched the first two episodes and just didn't get into it.

Saul is pretty good. It's one of the slowest shows I've ever watched. Completely different from BB in that regard where something major happened every episode. With that said, it's a good show if you like good acting and character development. It can be difficult to watch at times because you know the guy is going to hit rock bottom at some point and you're watching his poor decisions create his downward spiral. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 10:56 AM, StuntMan06 said:

The Americans is absolutely the best show on television right now. If you haven't seen the docuseries "Making a Murderer", check that out as well. 

I watched the first season of The Americans and really liked it. It is on a channel I don't watch very often, and I missed when the second season was going to start. By the time I caught it on, I was so far behind that I was lost. Gotta go back and catch up when I get the time.

I rarely watch TV but the few that I am caught up on/ finished is:

Justified

Prison Break

TWD

Arrow- comics. Cheesy but good

Flash-comics. Cheesy but good as well

The 100- This is my latest and really good.

Spartacus- Not suitable for children whatsoever

The 4400- wierd but good enough to finish

Homeland- got boring after main character died..

Blue Mountain State 

Modern Family

Might as well mention that I have watched all the episodes from following the 1990s- 2000s tv shows:

Frazier

Seinfield- Still watch reruns to this date

Everybody loves Raymond - still watch reruns to this day. 

Friends( ....)

Home Improvement

Fresh Prince

Boy meets World

On August 28, 2016 at 10:56 AM, StuntMan06 said:

The Americans is absolutely the best show on television right now. If you haven't seen the docuseries "Making a Murderer", check that out as well. 

I can't really argue this. Although I think it's one of those shows that needs to binged(that's how I got caught up from season 2). However, we would put the new episodes off to watch them back to back with GoT. Pro tip: you can drink 2 bottles of wine split between 2 over the course of both episodes. ;)

Finished the Night Of. It was good, definitely binge-worthy. I kind of hated the court room dialogue. Was nice to see Michael K Williams play a significant role. They did an excellent job showcasing Nasir's progression through the whole court/prison proceedings. And John Tuturro's monologue at the end was really damn fine. 

I started the Ranch(Netflix) a couple of days ago. Started off hating it. Laugh track(!), simple jokes, still camera, Ashton Kutcher, etc. After a couple of episodes, I was able to ignore the laugh track and take the show at face value. It's surprisingly decent. 

My current favorites are Power and Ray Donovan.  Power is really good if you like the gang/underworld type of shows.  It focuses on two best friends and their drug network, the drama, and violence that comes with it.  Ray Donovan is basically about a guy that is paid to "fix" problems for people.  Think early seasons of Scandal, but more violence and less politics.

I'm also going to binge watch Narcos season 2 sometime soon.  Ballers is good but I'm just getting into it.

If you haven't seen all of the seasons go back and watch Sons of Anarchy.  

Edited by Auburn 6

Been watching Ballers.  Really like it.  Just wish the episodes were an hour an not 30 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Binging last season of TWD, didn't see a single episode prior. On episode 6 now, I believe. I really enjoyed the Morgan backstory episode.

Couple slow episodes, but as a whole it's been pretty good so far. Better than recent memory.

This show is certainly better in binge format than week to week IMO. 

• Like 1