Television Shows

29 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Enjoyed it somewhat, but maybe not as much as you. Not a Laura Linney (spelling?) fan right off the bat, but that's not my issue. My problem is more with the writing. It annoyed me how casually the whole family approached their situation throughout the show. It never felt believable to me, and I never got over it. 

**SPOILER ALERT**

The scene where the daughter went swimming...while the parents were fighting...was not only strange but ridiculous. She's like 16 years old and she's a competitive swimmer, yet she almost drowns? For some reason that scene really aggravated me. It bothered me how Bateman didn't turn down the job after his boss' first display of violence when he was in Mexico. His casualness during the entire show bothered me. 

On a positive side, the show really is worth watching. And, the actress who plays the redneck girl is incredible. She's my favorite part of the show hands down. I'm hoping to see her in more recognizable roles in the future. 

I think the daughter likely had a panic attack or something along those lines. Or perhaps her muscles cramped up due to how cold it was. I don't think she suddenly forgot her swimming skills. 

40 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I think the daughter likely had a panic attack or something along those lines. Or perhaps her muscles cramped up due to how cold it was. I don't think she suddenly forgot her swimming skills. 

The way they made it seem was that she swam too far out, panicked and tired herself out. I just found that unbelievable. 

Minor complaint, but I found myself feeling that way alot throughout the season. 

14 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Enjoyed it somewhat, but maybe not as much as you. Not a Laura Linney (spelling?) fan right off the bat, but that's not my issue. My problem is more with the writing. It annoyed me how casually the whole family approached their situation throughout the show. It never felt believable to me, and I never got over it. 

**SPOILER ALERT**

The scene where the daughter went swimming...while the parents were fighting...was not only strange but ridiculous. She's like 16 years old and she's a competitive swimmer, yet she almost drowns? For some reason that scene really aggravated me. It bothered me how Bateman didn't turn down the job after his boss' first display of violence when he was in Mexico. His casualness during the entire show bothered me. 

On a positive side, the show really is worth watching. And, the actress who plays the redneck girl is incredible. She's my favorite part of the show hands down. I'm hoping to see her in more recognizable roles in the future. 

Random thoughts

-The redneck girl has a role in the later seasons of The Americans, which is a show that everybody should be watching if they haven't already. Agreed, fantastic actress.
-I'm still trying to figure out the swimming scene. I felt like the writing was smart enough that I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and there is a meaning there that I'm just not getting. Common theme with me. Anyway, there was definitely some sort of symbolism with her "drowning", hitting the bottom and then pushing back up to the surface. And of course her parents in there fighting or talking about whatever while their daughter is literally and maybe figuratively drowning, blah blah blah. As for her being a good swimmer, I mean, she just put her head down and started swimming- believable IMO for a kid who's dealing with some serious sh** and is trying to escape for a little bit- and was in a lake that she wasn't 100% familiar with yet at night. Pretty easy to lose your bearings in that scenario, and she is a city kid. Hey, some more possible symbolism- "I don't know where my home is!"
-Once the boss displayed violence, I think it was too late for Bateman to say no
-I think Bateman's apparent casualness is his super power. More being calm under fire than casual. They throw out a few nods to him being human- pulling over to go cry behind a tree, etc. But you're right, there is definitely some suspension of disbelief required. Which brings up my two issues with the show:

1) They might gain more of our trust if they tell us how Bateman got that ice in his veins. We get that he's ultra pragmatic and detail oriented. We get that he is almost binary in his trust in facts and logic. We get that he would literally do anything to protect his kids. But there has to be a back story for his whole "thing" to be believable. 

2) It seems to borrow pretty liberally from Breaking Bad. I know that's been said before and there are probably some really in depth think pieces out there exploring why it's not like BB, but, I mean... there are some serious similarities so far. Even the "unwanted but necessary bad kid protege with terrible parents who needs a father figure and who compliments the imperfect protagonist's skill set but also adds complications to his life"....

Sorry. The kid is home sick and I'm already going a bit batty. It's 9:30 AM. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Random thoughts

-The redneck girl has a role in the later seasons of The Americans, which is a show that everybody should be watching if they haven't already. Agreed, fantastic actress.
-I'm still trying to figure out the swimming scene. I felt like the writing was smart enough that I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and there is a meaning there that I'm just not getting. Common theme with me. Anyway, there was definitely some sort of symbolism with her "drowning", hitting the bottom and then pushing back up to the surface. And of course her parents in there fighting or talking about whatever while their daughter is literally and maybe figuratively drowning, blah blah blah. As for her being a good swimmer, I mean, she just put her head down and started swimming- believable IMO for a kid who's dealing with some serious sh** and is trying to escape for a little bit- and was in a lake that she wasn't 100% familiar with yet at night. Pretty easy to lose your bearings in that scenario, and she is a city kid. Hey, some more possible symbolism- "I don't know where my home is!"
-Once the boss displayed violence, I think it was too late for Bateman to say no
-I think Bateman's apparent casualness is his super power. More being calm under fire than casual. They throw out a few nods to him being human- pulling over to go cry behind a tree, etc. But you're right, there is definitely some suspension of disbelief required. Which brings up my two issues with the show:

1) They might gain more of our trust if they tell us how Bateman got that ice in his veins. We get that he's ultra pragmatic and detail oriented. We get that he is almost binary in his trust in facts and logic. We get that he would literally do anything to protect his kids. But there has to be a back story for his whole "thing" to be believable. 

2) It seems to borrow pretty liberally from Breaking Bad. I know that's been said before and there are probably some really in depth think pieces out there exploring why it's not like BB, but, I mean... there are some serious similarities so far. Even the "unwanted but necessary bad kid protege with terrible parents who needs a father figure and who compliments the imperfect protagonist's skill set but also adds complications to his life"....

Sorry. The kid is home sick and I'm already going a bit batty. It's 9:30 AM. 

Yeah, I thinking more about the swimming scene last night. And, to be clear, I admit that my annoyance with that scene is just what it is. Sometimes I don't love a show and can't explain why. But, if I recall correctly, she hadn't really had a panic attack about their whole situation at that point - outside of typical teenage angst and grumblings with her parents. So, they put her in an environment where she is most comfortable and in control, where she can escape from what's happening, and the one where she typically uses to relieve stress. That's where the decided that she would have her "panic" attack, or whatever. I mean, I can see the irony and symbology in it - the illusion of control - or something like that. But, I still find it unbelievable. She's in great shape. She's in a lake, not the ocean. She's surrounded by land. If she's a good swimmer than she knows how to float. She hadn't been swimming for that long. Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone to think like me - it just bothered me, that's all. 

A backstory would be nice - and his casualness just annoys me. Again, that's a personal thing and I'm not trying to poo-poo on the show. I was engaged throughout. I just never felt that the show was as serious as its subject matter. Maybe that was by design - it probably was. I never felt that way about Breaking Bad, probably because Walt was so calculated. I'm not saying that Bateman's character isn't calculating, but they make it feel like improvisation, where he's getting out of situations, or solving problems through charm and wit...and often times luck. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Almost done with Stranger Things 2, awesome! Also, completed Mindhunters, it’s also really good. 

• 2 months later...

I liked Mindhunters. I watched The Ranch, couldn't get into Stranger Things 2 although wife and kids watched it in one day. I watched all of Ozarks, not crazy about it. Manhunt- Unabomber was very good. Just finished Ruby Ridge. It was informative because I see it referenced a lot but didn't really remember exactly what it was about..

We just started Shameless, currently on season 3. Really digging it. 

I know it’s network, and I’ve probably mentioned it before, but everyone should watch The Mick on Fox. They’re currently on season 2 and I think it’s hilarious. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

LOVED the first season. Meh on the second. 

Trying to figure out how to stream it. It’s not on demand. 

On 1/29/2018 at 11:18 AM, McLoofus said:

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is good. 

Loved the first season. The writing is incredible. They also did a "marvelous" job casting. Rachel Brosnahan deserves all the praise she's received, but a shout out to Alex Borstein - who is HILARIOUS!

Just now, Barnacle said:

Loved the first season. The writing is incredible. They also did a "marvelous" job casting. Rachel Brosnahan deserves all the praise she's received, but a shout out to Alex Borstein - who is HILARIOUS!

Out of likes but 100% yes to all of this. She is a star. I'll never not like Tony Shalhoub, too. 

We've also been watching The Crown. Some slow parts but overall quite enjoyable. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Out of likes but 100% yes to all of this. She is a star. I'll never not like Tony Shalhoub, too. 

We've also been watching The Crown. Some slow parts but overall quite enjoyable. 

We started The Crown...didn't make it through the first episode. Honestly, it was just a little slow to start and I think we were in the mood for something else, so we started some other show instead. I want to go back and actually watch it. Most everyone that I've talked to says that they like it. I'm sure we will revisit at some point. 

I just started Peaky Blinders. So far, it's been really good. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

We started The Crown...didn't make it through the first episode. Honestly, it was just a little slow to start and I think we were in the mood for something else, so we started some other show instead. I want to go back and actually watch it. Most everyone that I've talked to says that they like it. I'm sure we will revisit at some point. 

I just started Peaky Blinders. So far, it's been really good. 

I need to circle back around to that one. Don't remember where I left off- somewhere in season 2, I think- but I didn't stop watching because I didn't enjoy it. Surprisingly rich in historical detail. 

Continuing this tangent, what was that show that Tom Hardy was in, where he was some sort of mystical slave ship guy in a property dispute with the East India Company or something like that? I wonder if that's going to come back, or maybe it already has. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Huge huge fan of Tony I still watch reruns of Wings and as for Monk never get enough of.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Anyone watching the Expanse?

Will be starting soon. Just have to pull the trigger on S1 on Amazon. Can't find it free anywhere. But I'm hearing big things.

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Will be starting soon. Just have to pull the trigger on S1 on Amazon. Can't find it free anywhere. But I'm hearing big things.

Season 1 and 2 are included with Amazon Prime.

EDIT:  It is the best show on television that SyFy and NBC apparently want no one to watch.

Edited by Strychnine
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Season 1 and 2 are included with Amazon Prime.

EDIT:  It is the best show on television that SyFy and NBC apparently want no one to watch.

That's what I'm hearing.

I looked it up on Amazon the other night and S1 only showed up as available for purchase but I will take another crack at it. Really, really want to see what the buzz is about. 

Dont watch much tv anymore..........currently on season 2 of Bonanza.........takes me back to watching reruns as a kid.