Television Shows

4 hours ago, AURex said:

Having to make up for cost overruns, HBO fired its editing crew?

Daenerys Targaryen, mother of coffee cups. Winterfell, home of the first Starbucks in history of the world. Yes, it's really there. Appears at 17:28. And it really is a Starbucks coffee cup.

image.jpeg

The previous episode was called "The Long Night" so :dunno:

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, AURex said:

Well, once again, regarding the latest episode of GoT -- I got a question.

So, nobody thought ahead that they might want to send out a scout to assure there were no enemies in waiting? And Dany is flying up in the sky and somehow doesn't notice this fleet of enemy ships lurking out there waitinmg for them? And after the Greyjoy kills one dragon, she doesn't circle around and burn all their ships from the rear?

Okay, I guess that's 3 questions?

That's two weeks in a row of absolutely stupid military strategy. This is becoming really ....... really .....

This is Dany being Dany. She refuses to listen to her council, she makes dumb decisions in the heat of the moment, and when she doesn't get her way she throws a temper tantrum like a 10 year-old child. All 8 seasons have shown that she is not the best person when it comes to strategy which is why she should be listening to everyone else giving her advice. If she would have listened to Sansa she wouldn't have the deaths happen. The entire episode the only thing she could think about was how Jon had a better claim to the throne than her but then she goes and legitimizes Gendry giving him an even better claim to the throne than her. She is the second biggest person I want to die after Cersei. 

On 5/4/2019 at 7:28 PM, AURex said:

Since Season 1 Episode 1, we have been building up to some huge REVEAL regarding the coming of winter and the white walkers. It has been posed as some sort of world changing event, with deep philosophical, moral, world shattering consequences. The Night King has been on some sort of mission to destroy humanity and achieve some mysterious goal. This is supposed to be some sort of EPIC tale that plays out over history, making the spats among royal/country folks completely irrelevant and trivial..

So what do we get? His only goal is to kill Bran, because Bran doesn't drink but he knows things?  He's a dragon slayer, immune to dragon fire, accompanied by his most powerful generals, but a little girl hops on his back (I guess none of the white walker generals behind him noticed her coming?) and stabs him. And that is the end of 8 seasons of this monumental terror confronting the world? Really?

And what are we left with?  We are right back at the very beginning with just assorted countries/enemies/psychopaths fighting each other? Right back at the game of thrones, so just ignore all that Song of Ice and Fire bit -- that was just a diversion to drag it out for additional years.

I'll watch the next few episodes just to see what happens, because I've watched this long, so a couple of hours more won't matter much. But being so disappointed in the overal lstory, I may not watch any of the spin-off series that are in the works.

I feel much the same about the Westworld series culmination. Despite the superior production values, I'm getting frustrated with HBO series that have great original ideas and then just end flat.

The true evil, IMO, has always been Cersei Lannister and the people that she can control and manipulate. Game of Thrones is best when there is political warfare and the fight for the throne and not about the mystical evil. I wasn't at all surprised with how the Night King died because it was building up to that ever since Jon killed a walker in the Battle of Hardhome and if you go back and watch "The Long Night" you can easily piece together that Arya was going to kill the Night King. When they kept going back and forth between all of the main characters at the end of the episode they never showed Arya and if someone didn't kill him, then there would be no more show. Every single person was overrun and there were just too many wights for them to claim victory. 

As far as Arya being a "little girl" that is one of the worst sentence I have read. She has been training since she was 11 years-old to be the assassin that she is. She was trained by some of the best fighters and minds in all of the Seven Kingdoms. Syrio Forel, The Hound, Ser Brienne of Tarth, Jaqen H'ghar,  and Tywin Lannister. Don't forget that she's always been a better shot with a bow and arrow than any other Stark that we've seen, she literally snuck up on Jon Snow 2 episodes prior and he was surprised by it, and oh, BTW, she can literally change her face to be anyone that she wants. If Dany had any strategic intelligence she would have Arya sneak into Kings Landing and kill Cersei and it would be over. She is the most well-equipped person to end this war without any innocent casualties. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

if you go back and watch "The Long Night" you can easily piece together that Arya was going to kill the Night King

Man, they really tried to hide it though with that special weapon she had Gendry forge. Make a big deal out of that so that when she uses it on rando zombies we eliminate her from the pool. Oh, but you simpletons forgot about the dagger! Haha! Got you! Zzzzzzzzzz

39 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

This is Dany being Dany. She refuses to listen to her council, she makes dumb decisions in the heat of the moment, and when she doesn't get her way she throws a temper tantrum like a 10 year-old child. 

You mean the daughter of the Mad King, who basically ordered the whole world burned alive? Who came from a family whose main traditions are dragons, incest and insanity? Who greenlit her own (extremely cruel) brother's murder? It's absolutely shocking, shocking I say that she's turning heel. 

(Folks seem genuinely surprised by this, but those seeds were sown several seasons ago and this has been coming for a long time.)

• Like 2

The arrows that take out a ship are another fictitious thing you just have to overlook but the timing of that fleet to not be seen from a dragons view is pretty far fetched. I’m not sure those mega arrow cannon launchers were not on backs of the boats too. Waiting for darkness to the go roast the ships was the thing to do. 

• Like 1

Welllll GoT was an episode. 😬 Dany sucks, is the villain/big bad  

Jaime/Cersei was a stinkeroo. 

Cleganebowl was okay. Qyburn ragdolled was great.

Arya/Tyrion 2020. 

Jon/Grey Worm gonna throw down. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Welllll GoT was an episode. 😬 Dany sucks, is the villain/big bad  

Jaime/Cersei was a stinkeroo. 

Cleganebowl was okay. Qyburn ragdolled was great.

Arya/Tyrion 2020. 

Jon/Grey Worm gonna throw down. 

Christ, this hot mess just gets hotter and messier every week. I feel sorry for whoever's responsible for the look of the show, because there were numerous individual frames that were absolute works of art and that's getting lost in the conversation because the writers have so badly crapped the bed. 

I'm not even as down on the Dany arc as a lot of folks are. It's a little hurried but it was always there. It's literally everything else. If the day were 48 hours long I would re-watch with a pen and paper and write down every inconsistency, implausibility, lazy plot device, etc. I'm hate watching at this point. 

GAME OF THRONES SPOILER

Ouch. Benioff and Weiss looking at WWE writers like, "This is harder than we thought." @GwillMac6

The Kingslayer died not from his wounds in this battle, but from the castle falling down on him and Cersei, rendering the whole fight moot except for the members of the GoT team responsible for giving a mid-carder like Euron such an inexplicable push.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/game-of-thrones-review-bells-sepinwall-834528/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

GAME OF THRONES SPOILER

Ouch. Benioff and Weiss looking at WWE writers like, "This is harder than we thought." @GwillMac6

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/game-of-thrones-review-bells-sepinwall-834528/

Thank you.........as this is my favorite thread.........as I need the large King James print.........leaving now and thanks loof❤

• Like 1

Well, GoT is over. I’m okay with it. I think the episode should’ve ended with Tyrion, Bronn, Maester Sam, etc. sitting at the table.

The rest of the episode was a waste of time imo.

But what about Jesse Pinkman coming to Westworld season 3?!? Hell yes. 

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well, GoT is over. I’m okay with it. I think the episode should’ve ended with Tyrion, Bronn, Maester Sam, etc. sitting at the table.

Yeah. In hindsight I'm glad the last season sucked. Now I'm glad to have my Sunday nights back. 

Too many issues with last night to go into it. 

Never got into Westworld. Maybe I need to give it another shot. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. In hindsight I'm glad the last season sucked. Now I'm glad to have my Sunday nights back. 

First season was excellent. Second kind of meh. 

On 5/20/2019 at 7:52 AM, McLoofus said:

Watched season 1 of West World......lost interest........Binged watched 8 seasons of Game of Thrones............was able to avoid any spoilers and literally saw Lannisters in my sleep...........I must say there was some good acting........there were some not so main characters that stood out........Tywin Lannister stole the show for me............Was aggravated with Longest Night.........could barely see fight for the night which I understand but in my opinion went on too long with obvious outcome................I enjoyed very much watcing and not having to wait months for the next season.......Despite the fact you could see things comming a mile away Game of Thrones was good.......I reserve great for The Wire.

• Love 1

On 5/19/2019 at 11:55 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Agree....As seasons progressed things in my opinion become obvious( wight king death)......I found myself praying my favorite characters such a Lady Brie and Grey Worm wouldnt die........In my opinion once the dragons become adults the queen was consumed with power and eliminating anyone standing in her way of the iron throne.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:45 PM, alexava said:

I was a little confused at times. I couldn’t figure out why( SPOILER ALERT AGAIN) they didn’t use the dragons to burn the dead sooner. I think they had trouble seeing once they did fly. Then we had a Top Gun kinda battle. Like previously  mentioned Arya was awesome. She has been my favorite character for most of the show’s entirety. I do feel sorry for the real person. She grew from such a cute little girl to a not so cute young lady. 

I thought she resembled a young Malcom of Malcolm in the Middle......still cute though.

Do I remember you saying you a fan of Deadwood........when first aired whatever filler spot it occupied.......opposite Sopranos maybe.........I failed to watch despite being western and a good cast..........flash forward 2019 and watched final episode last night.......and it sscreamed of needing closure..........just wondering if you plan to watch movie?

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Chernobyl was really damn good. Waited til the finale to start it. 

Black Mirror Season 5, 3 whole episodes...giphy.gif

How I felt about Deadwood as a whole.........when originally aired I believe it followed The Sopranos.......when the Sopranos was good usually stepped away afterwards.......I binge watched Deadwood after final episode of GOT...........felt the writing suffered throughout and final made no mentioned of Cy.....played by Powers Boothe......who passed away same month as movie script was green lighted..........Cy was one of the main characters.

Edited by kevon67

I watch very little TV (other than college sports), so finding a show that interests me enough to actually make me want to sit down and watch it is a challenge.

1. Good Omens on Amazon. Based on the book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, a TV mini-series by Gaiman, starring David Tennant and Michael Sheen. The book was excellent, filled with humor, well paced and well told. The series is a bit less coherent, but still an engaging watch.

2. Name of the Rose on Sundance. The book by Umberto Eco was excellent. The movie starring Sean Connery was good. This mini-series is very well done and does not require a subscription to watch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kevon67 said:

How I felt about Deadwood as a whole.........when originally aired I believe it followed The Sopranos.......when the Sopranos was good usually stepped away afterwards.......I binge watched Deadwood after final episode of GOT...........felt the writing suffered throughout and final made no mentioned of Cy.....played by Powers Boothe......who passed away same month as movie script was green lighted..........Cy was one of the man characters.

I was expecting a backstory on Cy. 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

I was expecting a backstory on Cy. 

Extremely dissapointing........it was closure on the series.............didnt seem like 2 hrs........shame they had to cram so much into 2hrs...........great performance by the actors.......loved Swedgen lol..............how is you and you family doing?.........I hope everything is well.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Extremely dissapointing........it was closure on the series.............didnt seem like 2 hrs........shame they had to cram so much into 2hrs...........great performance by the actors.......loved Swedgen lol..............how is you and you family doing?.........I hope everything is well.

We good. Kinda.