Television Shows

Not exactly new, but wifey and I just watched the entire first 2 seasons of an Aussie political/spy thriller called Secret City.  Really intense. Excellent acting, topped by Anna Torv (who was nominated for best actress for 13 seasons of Fringe and now both seasons of this series).

If you haven't seen it -- 2 seasons of 6 episodes each -- on Netflix.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 3:22 PM, McLoofus said:

I'm loving The White Lotus on HBO and I'm not sure I can say exactly why. Just characters that don't remind me of anything I've seen on TV before I guess. I wouldn't even say it's "about" anything other than how weird we all are. 

I hear you. Can't tell you why we kept watching, but everyone is such a disaster that it's hard to stop. Definitely a lot of different themes re: class, privilege, whiteness, etc. In the end, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to take away from it. 

Can't say I liked it, but it was well acted. Thought it would have been better as a movie than a mini-series. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I hear you. Can't tell you why we kept watching, but everyone is such a disaster that it's hard to stop. Definitely a lot of different themes re: class, privilege, whiteness, etc. In the end, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to take away from it. 

Can't say I liked it, but it was well acted. Thought it would have been better as a movie than a mini-series. 

Extraordinarily unfulfilling ending for a show that was very interesting to watch most of the way through.

August 2021 is not when I needed to be reminded that rich people tend to swoop in and behave rapaciously in nice places where mostly poor people live and then get back on their planes to go back to their real lives. Hell, it's the history of my town. 

I might just get Apple TV, drop everything else, finally watch Ted Lasso and not watch anything else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You...you haven't seen Ted Lasso?

Dude. I've got so many damned streaming services already. 

Although Ma Loof and I are starting to think that Netflix is completely unnecessary at this point. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Dude. I've got so many damned streaming services already. 

Although Ma Loof and I are starting to think that Netflix is completely unnecessary at this point. 

Netflix is terrible at this point. We never watch it. Only use it for kiddo shows, but I'm ready to pull the plug on it. 

I don't usually say this about TV shows, but you need to watch Ted Lasso. It's such a breath of fresh air. I'll DM you later so you guys don't have to buy an account. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Netflix is terrible at this point. We never watch it. Only use it for kiddo shows, but I'm ready to pull the plug on it. 

I don't usually say this about TV shows, but you need to watch Ted Lasso. It's such a breath of fresh air. I'll DM you later so you guys don't have to buy an account. 

Kiddos- exactly. They probably do 90% of the TV watching in our house. Yes, we know it's terrible. 

And the biggest TIA ever to you, sir!

I think Auburn is in finals tonight on College Bowl.  At least that is what I was told.  10/9c

I'm holding onto Netflix until Witcher, Last Kingdom and Cobra Cai. 

• Like 3

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Last Kingdom is great

Probably one of my favorite shows.  I'm actually ticked they are making this the last season when there is still material for another.  They've at least had time to work in the full remainder of the story.  I read somewhere that they may even expand the length of the episodes a little too provide the room.  Can't wait. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I think Auburn is in finals tonight on College Bowl.  At least that is what I was told.  10/9c

They are in semis, had a commanding lead over Columbia and that guy from there got 16 right in the 2 minute drill.  Auburn only got 10, which was not enough and therefore done with college bowl. 

21 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I'm holding onto Netflix until Witcher, Last Kingdom and Cobra Cai. 

Last Kingdom and Witcher are great.

• Like 2

The Last Kingdom was written by Bernard Cornwell and I've read a ton of his books.  History comes alive.

From Books-A-Million

Overview

The first installment of Bernard Cornwell's New York Times bestselling series chronicling the epic saga of the making of England, "like Game of Thrones, but real" (The Observer, London)--the basis for The Last Kingdom, the hit Netflix series.

In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England--and the course of history--depended upon one man, one king.

From New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.

• Like 1

Perhaps it’s been mentioned but from what I’ve watched so far , SEE on 🍎+ is good. The dude that played Aquaman is one of the main characters. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Turning Point 9/11 and the War on Terror is a good watch on Netflix (just released) but it is very emotional.  I struggled at points admittedly.  Just be prepared.

55 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Michael K Williams (Omar-the Wire) found dead in his apartment. Suspected drug overdose. 

He had substance abuse issues and actually relapsed then got clean again while on The Wire.

Damn. 

On 9/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, abw0004 said:

Turning Point 9/11 and the War on Terror is a good watch on Netflix (just released) but it is very emotional.  I struggled at points admittedly.  Just be prepared.

I just watched it. Probably one of, if not the best, documentary I’ve watched about 9/11. 

Edited by aubearcat

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, wareagleguy said:

Any Dexter fans? May have been mentioned earlier, I didn’t read all the pages. 

I watched it. Not sure if I’d consider myself a “fan” per se. They really mailed it in the last couple seasons, and obviously the finale left a bit to be uh…desired. I’ll watch the next season or movie or whatever it is, however. 

Schitt’s Creek was the last show I watched in its entirety. What a great show, arguably one of my favorite sitcoms of all time. 

Currently working through Nurse Jackie at the behest of my wife (she’s already watched it). It’s fine. Entertaining enough to watch a couple episodes a night before bed. 

• Like 2