Television Shows

On 11/4/2016 at 9:06 AM, McLoofus said:

Hah. I wish I had time to watch that much TV at once. I think only 4 of those shows have current seasons. 

Glad you reminded me, though- I left out Preacher. Weird as all hell but entertaining. 

That's another comic I read most of. Haven't watched the show yet, waiting for the streaming access. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Can't watch the TWD until tomorrow. I hear that Carl was accepted into Auburn though.

i wish i hadnt told my son about this. now he is concerned he will be killed off to go to college.

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Can't watch the TWD until tomorrow. I hear that Carl was accepted into Auburn though.

That girl from Under the Dome still @ AU?  

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Six in one day. Dayum. I haven't been that into one sins sons of anarchy. 

Sucked me right in. Only reason we didn't finish the entire series is because we started watching too late in the afternoon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Finally got around to starting Westworld. Watched 6 episodes yesterday. Fantastic show, I think it tops my previous favorite of the year, Stranger Things. 

Dude, wait til the season finale.  It was last night and it is awesome.  This is one of the BEST shows I have ever seen.  Each episode you don't want it to end.  Very intriguing storyline with the twists and turns.  

6 hours ago, tgr4lfe said:

Dude, wait til the season finale.  It was last night and it is awesome.  This is one of the BEST shows I have ever seen.  Each episode you don't want it to end.  Very intriguing storyline with the twists and turns.  

I'm on episode 9 now. Might have to wait until tomorrow for the finale. I've heard it's great. 

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah finale was very good. 

"Very good" is how I would classify it too. A lot of twists and turns in the last two episodes. I'm really not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, a twist is nice, but one after the other in a "gotcha!" manner kind of wound it into a knot. The show almost got away from them, it was teetering on the rails, but I think they did a decent job of reining it in. 

I'm kind of dreading season 2 though. 

The whole time while watching I've been thinking how much better it might've been in a gritty noir setting(a la Sin City), but I know they had to stay true to the original movie(which I haven't seen). 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

I watch very little TV, so I'm very picky about what I watch more than an episode or two of.

The best program other than GoT, as far as I'm concerned, is Westworld. Excellent cast and well acted. Surprising new reveals every episode.

Waiting waiting waiting. Now that Westworld's season is complete and we now have to wait until 2018 for more episodes, and 6+ months for the next episodes of the upcoming abbreviates season of GoT, what is there? Even Marco Polo is done for the year.

I sure wish some network could come up with a really savvy, intelligent Sci-Fi series. Maybe a take-off on Ex Machina -- taking off with the escape of the AI infiltrating the general public. Or a semi-realistic space-based kind of thing -- something that is intelligent and complex with human beings and technology, and actual plots with emotions and puzzles, unlike the kind of superficial drek we currently get.

8 minutes ago, AURex said:

I watch very little TV, so I'm very picky about what I watch more than an episode or two of.

The best program other than GoT, as far as I'm concerned, is Westworld. Excellent cast and well acted. Surprising new reveals every episode.

Waiting waiting waiting. Now that Westworld's season is complete and we now have to wait until 2018 for more episodes, and 6+ months for the next episodes of the upcoming abbreviates season of GoT, what is there? Even Marco Polo is done for the year.

I sure wish some network could come up with a really savvy, intelligent Sci-Fi series. Maybe a take-off on Ex Machina -- taking off with the escape of the AI infiltrating the general public. Or a semi-realistic space-based kind of thing -- something that is intelligent and complex with human beings and technology, and actual plots with emotions and puzzles, unlike the kind of superficial drek we currently get.

The Americans should be starting up before too long. You have time to catch up. 

You should try Black Mirror. It's pretty out there. Like a modern day Twilight Zone. None of the episodes are connected. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

I watched the first two episodes of Black Mirror. That was enough for me. Actually, the first episode was enough, but I thought it couldn't possibly be that bad. Well, it wasn't, but still not enough to keep me. I allocate very little time to television.

I'm considering three possibilities.

A Netflix series called Medici: Masters of Florence, which is set in 15th century Florence. Wifey watched a couple of episodes and she likes it. It stars Dustin Hoffman (remember him?) and Richard Madden (the guy who played Rob Stark on Game of Thrones). It is not intended as historically accurate. It is more of a political drama/mystery/thriller, because the head of the family actually died under mysterious circumstances, so the basic plot of the series revolves around trying to figure out if he was murdered, and if so by whom? Wifey says it is not as good as The Borgias, but better than 99% of the programming out there in TVland.

I think maybe we'll look at a couple of episodes of The Americans to see if that works. And also The Fall, which has received a lot of positives from both critics and viewers.

Edited by AURex

On 12/18/2016 at 1:06 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

The OA Netflix original series is starting off strong. Watched the first two episodes today. 

Sci fi/psychological mystery. Similar to Stranger Things but without the monster. 

Hearing good things from other trusted opinions. Will have to make time soon. 

On 12/19/2016 at 5:03 PM, alexava said:

i guess i will try to watch game of Thrones. how without HBO?

All but the last season is available on DVD, and that season will be released on DVD before the new season begins. If you don't want to buy it (it's a great series and a worthy investment), your public library will probably have the DVDs. You probably will not get through all of the seasons before the next season begins.

Wifey and I subscribe to HBO just for the period Game of Thrones is being shown, then drop it. Well, except now, Westworld too, but that won't be back until 2018.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wife has been suffering from Downton Abbey withdrawals since last spring, so she latched on to the next Masterpiece theater drama out of England, Victoria. Jenna Coleman (the impossible girl, to my fellow Whovians) plays the lead role.

Don't remember if we've discussed Mr. Robot, but I picked back up on Season 2 recently after long hiatus. Man, it is such a unique, creative and well made show. Definitely requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, but I'm okay with that. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Don't remember if we've discussed Mr. Robot, but I picked back up on Season 2 recently after long hiatus. Man, it is such a unique, creative and well made show. Definitely requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, but I'm okay with that. 

Is season 2 on Amazon yet? I was on and off with season 1. 

Speaking of Amazon, check out Schitt's Creek(comedy). Two seasons are up, and I think the 3rd season just started or is about to start. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Is season 2 on Amazon yet? I was on and off with season 1. 

Speaking of Amazon, check out Schitt's Creek(comedy). Two seasons are up, and I think the 3rd season just started or is about to start. 

Not sure. I have cable. Will check out Schitt's Creek, we just went Prime...

The OA -- meh, boring
Stranger Things - Meh, kids
Emerald City - might turn out okay, but kinda chinzy so far.

Taboo -- definitely worth watching. Best since Penny Dreadful.