Television Shows

Anybody already mention Beartown on HBO Max? We're only 2 episodes in but enjoying it quite a bit. Swedish show with subtitles. Shares some DNA with Friday Night Lights, but darker. And colder. Sweden vs Texas and all. And there's some murder(ish?) mystery to it. Anyway. Compelling TV and great hockey sequences.   

I have really been into gang/mafia style shows lately.  So far I have watched The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Peaky Blinders.  My thoughts:

The Sopranos:  It was interesting to watch this now, when she show took place in the late 90's and early 2000's.  To see the World Trade Center in the opening credits tells you that right away.  Around season three you see them disappear from the credits.  James Gandolfini does one of the best acting jobs in the history of TV, and was promptly given awards for it as well.  This show would not fly today though due to it's violence against women.

Boardwalk Empire:  It intrigues me to see Steve Buscemi play a serious role of the beginnings of the mafia boss.  I am used to seeing him in comedies.  I was never thrilled with the set of the boardwalk itself, it always seemed fake to me.  I watched this after the Sopranos, and you can tell it is the same creator as a lot of the same actors are used.  It is still a great show though.

Peaky Blinders:  This is my favorite show of all three.  I really like the direction each season has taken so far.  It isn't a loop of the same thing over and over.  The only qualm I have with it, is at times it is really difficult to understand what the Irish characters are saying when they have really heavy accents.

• Like 1

Invincible on Prime. Yet another cool and decidedly grown up twist on super hero stories. A list voice cast. Less pulpy than The Boys. More grounded in every day interpersonal dynamics than Watchmen

My favorite new thing in a minute.

9 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Peaky Blinders:  This is my favorite show of all three.  I really like the direction each season has taken so far.  It isn't a loop of the same thing over and over.  The only qualm I have with it, is at times it is really difficult to understand what the Irish characters are saying when they have really heavy accents.

On my to do list for sure. Especially when I discovered Anya-Joy (sp?) was in it, girl from Queens Gambit. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

On my to do list for sure. Especially when I discovered Anya-Joy (sp?) was in it, girl from Queens Gambit. 

wait wut ok fine i'll watch it

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

wait wut ok fine i'll watch it

I don’t know if every season but towards the later ones I believe. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I don’t know if every season but towards the later ones I believe. 

I love her.

No, Wins, you're not listening to me.

I love her.

Golden Globes 2021 Winners: See the Full List | Vanity Fair

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I love her.

No, Wins, you're not listening to me.

I love her.

Golden Globes 2021 Winners: See the Full List | Vanity Fair

Haha right there with you.  Truly mesmerizing woman. 

Just now, AUBwins said:

Haha right there with you.  Truly mesmerizing woman. 

Truly.

It's really the best descriptor for her. There are many others that apply, but it's that mesmerizing quality that sets her apart. Those eyes and her ability to use them... goodness. 

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

I finished the final season of Castlevania. Fantastic. The fight scenes and dialogue are brilliant and the visuals are stunning. As a fan of the games, I was satisfied with the story. 

Shadow and Bone is a fun watch. Visuals are well done. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, AUBwins said:

Loki

I’m 3 episodes in, 👌🏻 very good so far. 

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I’m 3 episodes in, 👌🏻 very good so far. 

Finished only 1 so far ... was on vacation last week and watched Blacklist big finale tonight. Will catch up this week.  Liked the first episode.  

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Oh boy............................

James Gandolfini’s son is playing the young Tony Soprano in this movie too.  Pretty cool

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

James Gandolfini’s son is playing the young Tony Soprano in this movie too.  Pretty cool

You can tell.................................the eyes

On 10/13/2016 at 4:35 PM, tgr4lfe said:

Anyone watching WestWorld on HBO?  

I just started the 3rd season.  A lot of twists and turns. 

1 hour ago, Tigermike said:

I just started the 3rd season.  A lot of twists and turns. 

I didn’t care for the third season.  The first season is by far and away the best season

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

I recently started watching Brockmire starring Hank Azaria, and am just about finished with the 1st season.  It's pretty hilarious.  

Agree he does remind me of listening on the radio way way back when to some crazy guys calling baseball games. Azaria is doing podcast of Brockmire now

https://www.today.com/video/hank-azaria-talks-about-the-jim-brockmire-podcast-109791301551