Television Shows

55 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

They do, and it also realistic.  Basically no one ever finds themselves in a real life-threatening situation and says:  darn.

Frackin' right.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 5:12 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Fox cancels Brooklyn 99, Last Man on Earth, and the Mick. 

Not happy about the Mick. I thought it was hilarious. 

I think NBC picked up B99. I remembered your comments on the Mick when I saw that one had been cancelled.

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think NBC picked up B99. I remembered your comments on the Mick when I saw that one had been cancelled.

They did pick them up after Netflix and Hulu passed. 

In true Dennis/Dee fashion from Sunny, Glenn Howerton’s show AP Bio gets renewed while Kaitlyn Olson’s show gets canceled.

Westworld was pretty dark last night. 

Silicon Valley wrapped up their season last night, with minimal cliffhangers. It was a fast 8 weeks. 

23 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

They did pick them up after Netflix and Hulu passed. 

In true Dennis/Dee fashion from Sunny, Glenn Howerton’s show AP Bio gets renewed while Kaitlyn Olson’s show gets canceled.

Westworld was pretty dark last night. 

Silicon Valley wrapped up their season last night, with minimal cliffhangers. It was a fast 8 weeks. 

I just can't get into Westworld. Just exhausting for me to follow and I'm not always sure it's leading anywhere. 

Nice pull on the Sunny parallels. 

I need to start Silicon Valley from the beginning.

Still catching up on The Expanse. The hype is well earned. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Very nice.

I was just over on Reddit and there seems to be a new "Save the Expanse" thread daily. Someone made a fan trailer to support the cause. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Very nice.

I was just over on Reddit and there seems to be a new "Save the Expanse" thread daily. Someone made a fan trailer to support the cause. 

Did you watch that trailer?  It was nearing 30k upvotes last time I saw it.  Tons of people were persuaded to watch it, based on that trailer in comparison to the one Syfy put out prior to the season.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Did you watch that trailer?  It was nearing 30k upvotes last time I saw it.  Tons of people were persuaded to watch it, based on that trailer in comparison to the one Syfy put out prior to the season.

Nah. Still enjoying the show though. 

I assume you were talking about the one I linked below.  It captures what the show is actually about better than any trailer Syfy put together.

51 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Didn't eve see it 'til my second click.

and I didn't even contribute to the flyover banner I saw the 1st time.

Maybe better than a Firefly movie this time?

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Didn't eve see it 'til my second click.

and I didn't even contribute to the flyover banner I saw the 1st time.

Maybe better than a Firefly movie this time?

I think the vast difference in the television landscape between Firefly in 2003 and today bodes well for the Expanse's chances.  Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix were not options at all when Firefly got the ax.  Now they are producing their own content.

As for resolution, I thought Serenity did a good job of tying off the Firefly universe in a way that it could be continued at some point, or laid to rest.  The Expanse's writers have stated that season 3 ends much the same way.  It could serve as a series finale if it absolutely has to, but leaves the door open for plenty of continuation.  That is a lot better than what SGU got.

• Thanks 1

So why did they space the Ganymede refugees??? I couldn't understand what he was saying about how they separated the two groups. 

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So why did they space the Ganymede refugees??? I couldn't understand what he was saying about how they separated the two groups. 

"Inners only."  Earth and Mars are inner planets, and that is how Belters refer to them.  It was a Belter ship.  The Belter that gathers them toward the airlock stops Prax and tells him "you're no Duster".  Dusters are Martians.

• Thanks 1

WOW!!!!!! I never knew this was the thread on AU family I had been missing out on. WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I freaking love it. I just wanted to chime in I am floored and pleasantly suprised AP Bio got renewed. That show is freaking hilarious. 

Edited by GwillMac6

35 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

"Inners only."  Earth and Mars are inner planets, and that is how Belters refer to them.  It was a Belter ship.  The Belter that gathers them toward the airlock stops Prax and tells him "you're no Duster".  Dusters are Martians.

In response to the Martians allegedly attacking the Belter ship... and when they said "Inners", they really just meant Dusters/Martians?

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In response to the Martians allegedly attacking the Belter ship... and when they said "Inners", they really just meant Dusters/Martians?

Belter sentiment is in response to more than one thing, but the specific catalyst for these Belters was the UNN and MCRN engaging in battle over Ganymede.  That battle wrecked orbital mirrors and the debris destroyed large swaths of Ganymede Station.  Belters also do not know who did what to Eros, but they blame Inners for it.  The last thing the Belter says after he spaces the Inners is "Inners wreck Ganymede, Belter life first".

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Belter sentiment is in response to more than one thing, but the specific catalyst for these Belters was the UNN and MCRN engaging in battle over Ganymede.  That battle wrecked orbital mirrors and the debris destroyed large swaths of Ganymede Station.  Belters also do not know who did what to Eros, but they blame Inners for it.  The last thing the Belter says after he spaces the Inners is "Inners wreck Ganymede, Belter life first".

Thanks once again. I had gathered that Belters have a litany of grievances against both Earth and Mars, but I wasn't- and I guess still am not- sure why they separated the Martians from the other "Inners". Like, why does the Belter refer to Prax specifically as not a "Duster" (Martian) instead of not an "Inner" ("non-Belter")? Or is that just not really important? And I guess the Belter recognized Prax as a fellow Belter? I dunno why I'm hung on that one detail, given the rich tapestry of the story. There's, like, a ton of other stuff that I'm still not 100% crystal clear on. 

I did find the Wiki and will be spending time with it. Don't get that into many shows but I want to "get" this one as much as I can. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks once again. I had gathered that Belters have a litany of grievances against both Earth and Mars, but I wasn't- and I guess still am not- sure why they separated the Martians from the other "Inners". Like, why does the Belter refer to Prax specifically as not a "Duster" (Martian) instead of not an "Inner" ("non-Belter")? Or is that just not really important? And I guess the Belter recognized Prax as a fellow Belter? I dunno why I'm hung on that one detail, given the rich tapestry of the story. There's, like, a ton of other stuff that I'm still not 100% crystal clear on. 

I did find the Wiki and will be spending time with it. Don't get that into many shows but I want to "get" this one as much as I can. 

They did not separate Martians from other Inners.  Earthers and Martians both went out the airlock together.  The Belter only says that to Prax because Prax stated that he was going to Mars, with his Martian friend Doris.  He did indeed recognize Prax as a beratna.  I am not sure how, but Belters are good at recognizing their own.  Sometimes it is tattoos, and others it is just general appearance and how they move.  It is good to get hung up on details, as they are VERY important in the Expanse.

It is never explored, but my guess is that the crew of the ship were OPA.  Based on how they acted, probably Black Sky or some other extreme faction of the OPA.

If you are unclear about anything, throw it out there.  I will try to clear it up.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

WOW!!!!!! I never knew this was the thread on AU family I had been missing out on. WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I freaking love it. I just wanted to chime in I am floored and pleasantly suprised AP Bio got renewed. That show is freaking hilarious. 

Cool!

Welcome home and post often.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

They did not separate Martians from other Inners.  Earthers and Martians both went out the airlock together.  The Belter only says that to Prax because Prax stated that he was going to Mars, with his Martian friend Doris.  He did indeed recognize Prax as a beratna.  I am not sure how, but Belters are good at recognizing their own.  Sometimes it is tattoos, and others it is just general appearance and how they move.  It is good to get hung up on details, as they are VERY important in the Expanse.

It is never explored, but my guess is that the crew of the ship were OPA.  Based on how they acted, probably Black Sky or some other extreme faction of the OPA.

If you are unclear about anything, throw it out there.  I will try to clear it up.

Many thanks, and I will do my best not to exhaust your patience.

That was the only specific thing I had for now. The last couple episodes have really clarified and made sense of a lot of things. That's probably why I've gotten to the point of bothering to get hung up on tiny details, lol. 

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Many thanks, and I will do my best not to exhaust your patience.

That was the only specific thing I had for now. The last couple episodes have really clarified and made sense of a lot of things. That's probably why I've gotten to the point of bothering to get hung up on tiny details, lol. 

I love the show, and I like talking about it.  You think you are getting hung up on tiny details now?  Wait until you do your first rewatch and realize just how much you missed.  You are getting into the second book now, the first ended when Miller took a joyride to Venus.

• Like 1