AU Defensive Line Depth

TigerWar

No wonder Gus gets so giddy when talking about the depth along the defensive line.

It's been a long time since Auburn had this much "talented" depth at the positions.

An embarrassment of riches? Time will tell.

Auburn ? Defensive Line
Sr. 6-4, 309 5-Star DT Montravius Adams
Sr. 6-2, 303 3-Star DT Devaroe Lawrence
Sr. 6-5, 314 3-Star DT Maurice Swain
Jr. 6-2, 253 5-Star BUCK Carl Lawson
Jr. 6-4, 271 4-Star BUCK Paul James III
So. 6-2, 250 4-Star BUCK Jeff Holland
So. 6-3, 308 4-Star DT Dontavius Russell
So. 6-3, 276 5-Star DE Byron Cowart
So. 6-4, 289 4-Star DT Andrew Williams
RFr 6-2, 317 3-Star DT JauntaviusJohnson
Fr. 6-5, 330 5-Star DT Derrick Brown
Fr. 6-3, 273 4-Star DE Marlon Davidson
Fr. 6-2, 303 4-Star DT Antwaun Jackson
Fr. 6-6, 255 4-Star DE Nick Coe

*Paul James III is listed as a LB on the official roster

*Jeff Holland is listed as an OLB on the official roster

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats what happens when the head recruiter is also the d-line coach. A good d-line will go a long way in helping the rest of our defense. I'm really stressing about the CB position, though.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

DL is the secondaries best friend

Exactly. Linebackers, too.

Vipers, did you show up to remind everyone that Auburn football sucks and we should expect a 5-7 record?

8 minutes ago, TigerWar said:

Vipers, did you show up to remind everyone that Auburn football sucks and we should expect a 5-7 record?

Was just gazing at all those STARZ in your first post.

You gonna post shirtless DL pics in this thread? Or you saving those nuggets for later?

Speaking of corners, does anyone have any updates on Marshall Taylor?  The guy either needs to show up or tell Gus he isn't coming back

Best dline I have ever seen at Auburn. Should be the best in the SEC, like I read in an article somewhere any team in the nation would gladly trade dline with AU or UAT.

11 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Best dline I have ever seen at Auburn. Should be the best in the SEC, like I read in an article somewhere any team in the nation would gladly trade dline with AU or UAT.

Going to give you a youth pass on best line ever. The line that Tracy Rocker anchored was absolutely dominate. This current line is all about potential at the moment. Yds allowed passing 142 per game. Yds allowed rushing 57.9 per game

4 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Best dline I have ever seen at Auburn.

You haven't seen them play yet.

If they hold opponents to 7.7 or 11.3 PPG, then we'll start comparing them to the 88 and 04 DL.

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Speaking of corners, does anyone have any updates on Marshall Taylor?  The guy either needs to show up or tell Gus he isn't coming back

I'm sure Gus knows exactly when he will be back. Gus just hates telling anybody anything. I can't imagine a situation where a player would dictate to a coach when he will be at practice. Gus is too hardheaded to take that crap.

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Going to give you a youth pass on best line ever. The line that Tracy Rocker anchored was absolutely dominate. This current line is all about potential at the moment.

My favorite group of D lineman to watch, so far, has been the ole "Honk if you Sacked Brody" d line. 

3 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

If they hold opponents to 7.7 or 11.3 PPG, then we'll start comparing them to the 88 and 04 DL.

Best Dline on paper over seen. Too bad Rocker isn't their coach. Lol

4 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Before we compare them to 04, I want to see them go 7 games without a rushing touchdown.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'm sure Gus knows exactly when he will be back. Gus just hates telling anybody anything. I can't imagine a situation where a player would dictate to a coach when he will be at practice. Gus is too hardheaded to take that crap.

I tend to agree, but at this point I don't see the guy as a contributor. Transfer in, no practice time. More than likely in trouble with the staff for whatever went down with JR

10 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Going to give you a youth pass on best line ever. The line that Tracy Rocker anchored was absolutely dominate. This current line is all about potential at the moment. Yds allowed passing 142 per game. Yds allowed rushing 57.9 per game

I wish we could bookmark posts. 

What I have seen from CRG's Dline's is over perusal.  It's like he teaches all 4 guys to rush the passer and they blow by the RB or they lose contain and QB runs by. It will be 3rd and short and instead of the guys playing run they lose contain trying to blow up an Olinemen.

55 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I was born in 91 so I didn't get to see that dline play in person. My dad has shown me videos of Tracy Rocker playing though, and I have met TR quite a few times.

feel like "successful" seasons in years we've had a favorable DL. I was only born in 1991, but the years with Quentin Groves against UF is always my most memorable in terms of DL. 

2003ish - Gunn, Stanley Mcglover(as i almost vomit), Torbor, and some below

2007ish - Groves, Pat Sims and Sendarick Marks

2010ish - obv. Fairley, Antoine Carter, but Clayton, Blanc and Goggans were solid IMO.

2013ish - obv. Lawson and Ford did the most damage, but Wright was legit this year and E. Daniel held his own.

for me personally, with JHS rocking and the disruptive potential of the defensive line, I think we can make some noise. Idk how competitive Clemson's OL is outside of Hyatt, but if we can get pressure with 4 and limit Watson from running, think we'll be in the game. 

It is true that this group is mostly just potential at this point. However, as I look at that list, there are probably 8 guys that I am expecting big things from this year!  With that much talent and depth, we should have a very good DL this year! Statistically, they will not compare with 88 or 04. The game is just too different. Nobody puts up stats like that!  But if we look at rankings (Run D, Total D, Sacks, etc.) I think this DL could be very compatible to those 2. 

Archived